Banging my head on the desk

Options
12346»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well do you know what really irks me, it is when someone points to something to describe it, say an apple, and then says "that is red" when clearly the word "that" has no color and is therefore not red. So stupid.

What about "It is raining"

What the hell is "it"?

a certain lady who floats around here mentioned yesterday that " i am fat" is an incorrect term.

I giggle at people who are offended by the term "fat." Unless someone is clearly trying to insult you with its use, it's just a descriptive word.

no not... politically incorrect. scientifically incorrect. i am homo sapien. i HAVE fat.

OH...now i get it. OKAY!...I have mexican.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    IN for banging on the desk.

Thats what I was thinking!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lhr80rSfOK1qfmhly.gif
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Well do you know what really irks me, it is when someone points to something to describe it, say an apple, and then says "that is red" when clearly the word "that" has no color and is therefore not red. So stupid.

What about "It is raining"

What the hell is "it"?

a certain lady who floats around here mentioned yesterday that " i am fat" is an incorrect term.

I giggle at people who are offended by the term "fat." Unless someone is clearly trying to insult you with its use, it's just a descriptive word.

no not... politically incorrect. scientifically incorrect. i am homo sapien. i HAVE fat.

Well, then she's wrong. The dictionary tells me so. :tongue:

I get what the person she is talking about is trying to say. Its so semantically pointless its even hard to fathom.

What she is saying is that a person who says "I am fat" is wrong because they are not fat, they are a human being. They have fat in their body but they do not consist solely of fat so they are not fat they are lots of things.

As for the mentaility of a person who would make that argument I wonder what she thinks when she hears someone say that they are pooped.

Does she really expect people to constantly qualify every descriptive word/phrase? I am a fat human being. I am a tired person. I am a hungry homo sapien. I bet she's fun at parties.

you guys are missing the point. the beginning of this conversation was exactly that. that people say things that are technically not true but are said anyway. like it is raining, i am fat, that is red..... the point was exactly semantics.... which was kind of what this whole thread was about.

semantics.

i bet she is fun at parties though. shes pretty neato.

No you're semantics!

resisting... urge... to say... yo mama is semantics... must... resist.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    A lose/loose thread AND this all in one day?

Is it Christmas???

I've wanted to make a thread titled "Yay my clothes are getting lose" just to balance out all the "Help I'm not loosing weight" threads.

you must be loosing your head....considering all that banging..
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    you guys are missing the point.

stupid.gif
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lhr80rSfOK1qfmhly.gif
    I admire her hair-making skills. The do never gets out of shape. Must use a tonne of Elnett.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    you guys are missing the point.

stupid.gif

insert witty and random apology gif here (i am not cool enough to know how or be able to think of one)
  • andythecurefan
    andythecurefan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    To be fair, when we start spending a bunch of time in outer space and on other planets, it really will be important to understand the difference between mass and weight, or else there are going to be a million threads on here about people not being able to figure out why they weigh 50000 lbs on Jupiter when they are logging their calories accurately.

This person for the win!

e9zody.gif
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    SCIENCE!!

wheeeeee!

(ps. anyone with a brain that works with logic knows that when people say that they dont mean a pound weighs more than a pound. why would anyone ever say or imply that? personally i think the logic that sees people saying a pound is more than a pound when people say it is more flawed than the one that says muscle weighs more than fat... in my opinion)

LOGIC!!! it goes well with science.
    Chad;

Before hurling around comments like "...anyone with a brain that works with logic knows.....",
    You really ought to spend a little time with a dictionary.

Your "logic" is just about as far away from "logic" as one can possibly get and still remain in this universe.

Here's a start for you:

Full Definition of LOGIC
    a (1) : a science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration : the science of the formal principles of reasoning (2) : a branch or variety of logic <modal logic> <Boolean logic> (3) : a branch of semiotics; especially : syntactics (4) : the formal principles of a branch of knowledge

VOCABULARY!!!! - it goes well with a basic command of the language.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    SCIENCE!!

wheeeeee!

(ps. anyone with a brain that works with logic knows that when people say that they dont mean a pound weighs more than a pound. why would anyone ever say or imply that? personally i think the logic that sees people saying a pound is more than a pound when people say it is more flawed than the one that says muscle weighs more than fat... in my opinion)

I actually did see someone claim that ONE time.

Once in almost 4 years.

Did she do Tae Bo?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know. Should have asked.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    SCIENCE!!

wheeeeee!

Chad;

Before hurling around comments like "...anyone with a brain that works with logic knows.....",
    You really ought to spend a little time with a dictionary.

Your "logic" is just about as far away from "logic" as one can possibly get and still remain in this universe.

Here's a start for you:

Full Definition of LOGIC
    a (1) : a science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration : the science of the formal principles of reasoning (2) : a branch or variety of logic <modal logic> <Boolean logic> (3) : a branch of semiotics; especially : syntactics (4) : the formal principles of a branch of knowledge

VOCABULARY!!!! - it goes well with a basic command of the language.

Hmm. "Since it is unlikely that anybody truly thinks that a pound of fat is lighter than a pound of muscle, it logically follows that the people who state that fat is lighter than muscle are using a vernacular that refers to mass."

I think that's an appropriate use of the word logic.