Quick Poll: Do you.....

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I put my shopping trolley (sorry, shopping cart just doesn't sound right, you will have to forgive silly non American terms :tongue: ) back in the collection bay thing - the corrall as you are calling it.

I do not take it back into the shop itself.
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I wish my grocery store had this problem! I'd make a fortune!

At the store I go to you have to put a looney in the cart to get it to unlock, when you put the cart back you get your dollar back.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Why else would they put handicapped spaces so close to where I'm parked? Besides, those spaces are big enough for ten or so carts. Seems like a waste to leave them empty.

I'm not sure if I should admire you for your honesty or despise you for your despicable behavior. Tough one.

It's okay, I keep a set of crutches in my trunk just in case someone asks

I realise your posts are probably being facetious (well I hope so) but just pointing out this tactic wouldn't work here - the criteria for using a disabled parking spot is that you have on display in your back window a disabled parking permit.

Because some people do not look disabled -eg. they have a severe back problem or severe emphysema but no visible disability.
    Others could just have crutches in their car without actually being disabled - that doesn't meet the criteria.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Why else would they put handicapped spaces so close to where I'm parked? Besides, those spaces are big enough for ten or so carts. Seems like a waste to leave them empty.

I'm not sure if I should admire you for your honesty or despise you for your despicable behavior. Tough one.

It's okay, I keep a set of crutches in my trunk just in case someone asks

I realise your posts are probably being facetious (well I hope so) but just pointing out this tactic wouldn't work here - the criteria for using a disabled parking spot is that you have on display in your back window a disabled parking permit.

Because some people do not look disabled -eg. they have a severe back problem or severe emphysema but no visible disability.
    Others could just have crutches in their car without actually being disabled - that doesn't meet the criteria.

We do it differently in the colonies.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I usually make it a point to put my carts in the corral, however if the thing is across the parking lot and I am shopping alone with my daughter I don't, but I will try and put it out of the way, whether on the curb or off to the side.

I am not comfortable being across a parking lot and turning my back to her with her alone in the car so I am willing to be an a-hole for that occasion.

You could take your daughter to the cart corral with you and then walk her back to the car once it is safely put away where it will not smash into anyone else's car. This is the time I use to give my kids a fun ride in the empty cart or to let my older son practice pushing the cart in an area that is wider than a grocery aisle. (Not just to you, but also others who worry about leaving their kids in the car while parking the cart.)
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I am in Australia - that is the colonies :laugh:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    We were the better colony
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I usually make it a point to put my carts in the corral, however if the thing is across the parking lot and I am shopping alone with my daughter I don't, but I will try and put it out of the way, whether on the curb or off to the side.

I am not comfortable being across a parking lot and turning my back to her with her alone in the car so I am willing to be an a-hole for that occasion.

You could take your daughter to the cart corral with you and then walk her back to the car once it is safely put away where it will not smash into anyone else's car. This is the time I use to give my kids a fun ride in the empty cart or to let my older son practice pushing the cart in an area that is wider than a grocery aisle. (Not just to you, but also others who worry about leaving their kids in the car while parking the cart.)

that's fine if you have one walking age child - not so good if you have a toddler and a baby.(yes I know that isn't the person you are replying to but just as an example)

If you cannot return the trolley for reasons like having 2 small children who cannot be left ,then I think you do the best you can - put it as neatly out of the way as possible.

Everybody who can, should certainly return trolleys though.
  • wheird
    Options
    Considering that children who cannot walk need to be in a car seat, couldn't you buckle them in and lock the doors for the 20 seconds that it takes to return the cart?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Considering that children who cannot walk need to be in a car seat, couldn't you buckle them in and lock the doors for the 20 seconds that it takes to return the cart?

You'll get arrested for that here in the southern colonies
  • wheird
    Options

Really now? Even for that short a period?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Nah, I'm talking more about just casually leaving a cart...not a mom with child situation, or disability or something like that.
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I always put mine away. When I have all 3 kids with me I make sure to park right next to the return.
  • Whiskey2206
    Whiskey2206 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Call me a liar, I don't care because I KNOW that I ALWAYS put my cart away in it's spot. I push the cart to my car, unload the items then I bring my 5 yr old and my baby with me so I don't worry about leaving them in the car alone.
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I have found that my very favorite part of shopping is smashing the cart into the others in the cart area...

I have also recently thought I may have anger issues. :laugh:
  • MinMin97
    Options
    No. Just no.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

that's fine if you have one walking age child - not so good if you have a toddler and a baby.(yes I know that isn't the person you are replying to but just as an example)

If you cannot return the trolley for reasons like having 2 small children who cannot be left ,then I think you do the best you can - put it as neatly out of the way as possible.

Everybody who can, should certainly return trolleys though.

I had a 6 year old, 18 month old and new born at one point in time and made it work. I do understand that not everyone can, though. That's why I grab carts along the way, too. I just hope that those who don't put carts away just shrug it off when they come out to find a random cart has smashed into their car.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I have found that my very favorite part of shopping is smashing the cart into the others in the cart area...

Totally this. It's feel so good to just ram the cart into the others in the return place.

Guess I have issues too. :)
  • MinMin97
    Options

Totally this. It's feel so good to just ram the cart into the others in the return place.

Guess I have issues too. :)
    Hahaha, I guess I remember being that way!
    After 5 children and having my nervous system slammed, jammed and abused, I just don't need the stimulation LOL!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Really now? Even for that short a period?

In all seriousness, I turn the car on then return the shopping cart. No way I'd put my kids in the car here without first turning the air on. 95 degrees outside means the interior temps get out of control otherwise.