Article - Why Daily Showers May Be Bad For You

Options
Mindful_Trent
Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
I've really been into researching/learning about health beyond just diet and exercise, and found this to be an interesting article... not sure I'm quite willing to give up my daily shower... but thought I'd post this for others to read.

http://www.good.is/post/why-daily-showers-may-be-bad-for-you/?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=outbrain&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=outbrain

(The format of the article is a little odd - click the "Next" on the right side underneath the Article title to go to the next page. The article is split into little blurbs on 6 pages. I tried finding an all-on-one page to link to, but didn't see one.)

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    No way I could go to the gym and not shower after. Plus leave the junk in my hair over night...nope also.
  • dansu2000
    Options
    Very interesting article....does make sense. Thanks for sharing:)
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Interesting article - although I will still take my daily shower (sometimes twice a day)...
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I'll stay fresh, Thanks!!! lol
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't shower every day...yeah if i work out i do...but my skin hates me when i shower every single day...i usually skip the shower at least twice a week...unless circumstances force me to shower (TOM, exercise, romance)
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think I'll show this article to my mother and show her how I was on the right track all those years ago when I used to refuse to bath after little league games :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    No way I could go to the gym and not shower after. Plus leave the junk in my hair over night...nope also.

Yeah - they're obviously not advocating that people walk around all stinky (see the page about personal scent)! I'm sure we would all prefer you to shower after going to the gym, too! :laugh:

I don't use hair product, so I could see myself, in theory, not having to shower on days where I don't work out (I work in an office -very sedentary job). This is what the author is getting at - if you don't *need* to shower, it's better for your skin if you don't. However, I'm kind of addicted to the nice and clean feeling I get when I shower first thing in the morning....every morning!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i take shower depending on how dirty i am.. if i have done nothing and am still clean i may skip a day or two, if i have done alot of working out or other dirtying activings i will shower up to three showers a day
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Yeah - they're obviously not advocating that people walk around all stinky (see the page about personal scent)! I'm sure we would all prefer you to shower after going to the gym, too! :laugh:

I don't use hair product, so I could see myself, in theory, not having to shower on days where I don't work out (I work in an office -very sedentary job). This is what the author is getting at - if you don't *need* to shower, it's better for your skin if you don't. However, I'm kind of addicted to the nice and clean feeling I get when I shower first thing in the morning....every morning!

yep, and second day here is the best hair...every hair stylist will tell you that...the natural oils make it curl way nicer...that's when i use the hair products...today my hair was just flat ironed and freshly washed...tomorrow will be curls and hairspray. I also work a sedentary job so it's not like i'm getting sweaty and dirty. I work harder cleaning my house than i do at my job...
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    i only shower every other day. (unless I'm working out). I cant afford to usually, as drying my thick hair is a half day-all day affair usually. between showers I may wash up in the sink if I need it, like on my face and arms but I agree with the article. People often make problems by bathing too much...I have a friend who is suffering from premature hairloss but he showers and washes his hair twice a day normally.
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    very interesting. i can totally see the validity of their points. i however, use natural products so i have no issues with these "harsh chemicals" screwing with my skin. i get comments all the time on how vibrant and good my skin and hair looks. thanks for sharing, though. i always enjoy reading things like this :flowerforyou:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Not me. I use hair gel that would survive a hurricane, even if i didn't. firedevil.gif
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I have super dry skin and hair, so unless I am working out, I skip every other day...funny thing is I get "hit on" more on the days that I don't shower, then when I do :laugh: And, yes I am very clean, I do a quick scrub down daily to get my circulation stimulated :blushing:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I'll take my chances with showering daily.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    None of the reasons listed worry me any bit. I will continue to take minimum of 2 showers a day. :noway:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    As someone with dry and sensitive skin (and a little eczema and rosacea), I stand by this premise whole heartedly. I try to work my exercising around it (yoga on non-showering days, or work out at night the second day so I can shower after tomorrow morning's workout. It means I need to wash my pillows more, but my skin has cleared up, I have less acne, I don't smell (and trust me, I ask). But I am liberal with the deodorant. For those of us who can do it, it's really quite helpful. Maybe not if you're super oily though ... I'm not sure :wink:
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    very interesting. i can totally see the validity of their points. i however, use natural products so i have no issues with these "harsh chemicals" screwing with my skin. i get comments all the time on how vibrant and good my skin and hair looks. thanks for sharing, though. i always enjoy reading things like this :flowerforyou:

what products do you use?
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have to shower. I just feel nasty down there if I don't. I think girls have more issues in that respect than guys.

Don't share this article with my fiance, he thinks every other day is good enough. I feel like I live with a schoolboy somtimes!:-P

Shannon
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, I however am very heavy sweater, even when not working out and I work in grease all day so I have to have my showers. Plus they relax me and help me sleep..but interesting read.