Really bummed there aren't more supporters for specifics!

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I haven't had enough caffeine for a PPPM post.

Ditto... and I am too hungover for this.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Wanna go to Denny's?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Wanna go to Denny's?

Definitely, you are speaking my language :)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Again thank you for your remarks to the recent posters. It was not an odd remark if you read: my friends who have been overweight all their life really didn't mind not had any comments in MY instance. Yet it's harder when you've been skinny and randomly you're not?! So I asked my friend before I responded so I wasn't rude and she said I'm 285 and she said lowest was 260. All her life? Yes. Asked her if she would have been thin then went to 285 how she would feel: exact statement "probably not much. I was bigger so if I was 120 and went up to 260 I would've freaked out. But I didn't cause I was always around that size it wasn't a freak out." So thank you I took this from an actual convo. That my experience of this, so please don't be rude that your opinion doesn't matches theirs. I was speaking based off MY experience. Not yours. so I can't have a sense of humor about being unhappy and disgusted.

As far as this conversation you're talking about here....how am I supposed to know about how this went down? :laugh:

I responded to you, quoting you, from your original post. I'm not trying to argue with you, but this is the internet, & all people have to go on is what you've typed. I don't know anything about you, or the conversations you've had with your friends etc.

I would put to you this though, your one heavy friend does not speak for all or even most heavy people. :blushing:

I get that you had a discussion with a friend and that you pulled from her side of it that your struggle is tougher than it is for her. But, I can guarantee you that it's not tougher than mine. I, like many, have pulled myself out of a pit, thank you very much. So, I wouldn't have answered, sorry. I have a lot of people on my FL with a small amount to lose, it has nothing to do with that. I also would never disrespect their struggles by implying that mine are tougher. If you do want to know why people don't answer posts, I can tell you that those kinds of generalizations are a big turn-off (I've got it rougher than xxxx).

I have hypothyroidism. I had it for 16 years before I was diagnosed (it didn't show up with a base TSH test, only when you look at T4s). When I think about what I missed out on for those years, and the adventures that I could have had with my kids, the hikes, the trail runs. Well, I try not to think about it. Not to mention the years of frustration when my medical practitioners didn't believe me that I was really eating only 1400 calories a day and not losing any weight. And the self doubt and shame. Again, I try not to think of it. I'm glad that they caught yours early. But, I'll make a deal with you: please don't think that you have it tougher than me because they caught yours early, and I won't assume that I have it tougher than you because you had a rapid change after being thin.

So, yeah, you hit a nerve. And I am sure that I'm not the only one who had this reaction. My advice to you would be to not make generalizations, and to not box yourself or anyone else into a particular group. You'll get a lot more out of your FL that way. Believe me, not everyone has to have had the same exact experience to "get it".

ETA: I just read through your original OP. I probably would have answered that one if there were some paragraph breaks. It's tough to read, quite honestly. You can do paragraph breaks on your Iphone, just hit the return button. It takes longer, but you'll get more feedback that way.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You sound like a jerk.

I'm not saying you are a jerk. But that's how you sound.

Signed,

Someone who had less weight than you to lose (see, doesn't that sound rude?)
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    . It's actually worse to have to have your body drastically change than deal with it your whole life honesty.

Uh, no, I doubt it. I was skinny in seventh grade, but several years before that and every year after I saw people who were overweight or obese bullied or put down for their weight. Not only do overweight people who have been overweight their whole lives have to deal with an elevated risk of health problems, but they also have had to endure far more bullying and negative behavior than someone who only recently gained weight
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    OP,

Surely you understand that the more criteria one must meet in order to be qualified to answer your questions/offer suggestions tends to limit the pool of possible respondents to your original intro post. Think about it...

I meet NONE of your criteria, so therefore I didn't give your intro post a second thought. I'm sure I was just one of many who did the same.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new and won't talk anyone's ear off but posted an intro and only one kind person responded. I don't know if maybe cause 157 lbs is not enough or what people think cause I was always 114-118 that people have some sort of issue. I am hoping others can blog and talk about being skinny all their life and now dealings with an unusual struggle. Whether you were overweight all your life or just now, it still hurts. Just wish others were as sensitive to this. It's actually worse to have to have your body drastically change than deal with it your whole life honesty. Yet people tend to judge that oh well you've been skinny most of it you're lucky. No. Anyone who has dealt with this I'd please appreciate stories and how you worked thru medical issues life issues Etc to get back to your high school weight. Thank you I appreciate it :):):)

Wow, I'm surprised that more people aren't sensitive to your horrendous plight. After all, you have it so much harder than everyone else because people love to be told that their reasons for weight gain (early in life or later in life) weren't as hard to deal with as yours... oh wait.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You sound like a jerk.

I second this. A whiny one.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You sound like a jerk.

Signed,

:laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that it is no good to make better than or worse than comparisons. That is just self-centered.

Everyone has their own internal and external challenges and struggles.

It is good to listen, learn, have empathy.
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also, while I'm at it, a little too much logic can be a bad thing too, have a sense of humor about yourself, life's too short & dieting & getting fit can be tiresome (for other people as well as yourself) if it's all you think about :wink:

Great life advice :flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Mactaffy- would love to be friends thank you for understanding.

Kgeyser: I will make this short but I am super disappointed in what you took from my post. To think I was saying that people are jealous of me for not being morbidly obese is very ignorant. Especially because I have friends that are of a certain size that I would NEVER think are jealous of me. I meant that sometimes people find that it's more important to lose at a certain weight (ie biggest loser l, extreme weight loss, both tv shows) that don t focus on people who want to be back to their original body. I am sorry if it came off that way at all.

The fact you say I'm insensitive for making a comment, well no, my friends who weight 300+ had told me "they never knew different." Well I did know different so I was going off personal experience.

I'm sorry for what you went through and that you are offended. That wasn't my intention. My intention was also not to have you dig through posts and live On this site. I appreciate your comment and opinion. I don't appreciate sarcasm and people acting like aholes because they have their own issues. I asked for advice but not to be judged. I was not judging anyone at all or thinking anyone was jealous which makes makes me upset.

Thank you.

I literally wouldn't have to dig through your posts to form an opinion on you based just on this response. Unfortunately, you sound like someone who will misinterpret any text said to her, and perhaps that's why no one has responded to your posts. In fact, you might soon prefer that people not respond to you based on the sort of reception I believe you'll get.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Just because someone never knew different does not mean it is not a challenge. In many cases that is evidence of a huge challenge. The most horrendous and traumatic things I have been through are things that I have never known to be different. Things I grew up with, and can't imagine what it is like to have not been through that. That doesn't make it ok. That makes it even more damaging to me when I was growing up.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You sound like a jerk.

Signed,

tumblr_n4lscg84M41rhavdko1_400.gif
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    well said kgeyser. I feel you covered it very well. I don't expect to weigh what I weighted in high school!!!! My God we were kids not adults. Life changes your body and as long as you take care of yourself and eat healthy - that's the main thing. As for not responding, I just tripped across this and am definitely not a jealous type but respond to all my friends
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    uh wut?
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I was thin up until I got married...since then its been bad marriage, divorce, job loss, school and now Lupus and Steroids. I'm fighting to lose the weight and find a more positive body image etc. So I'm right there with you. Feel free to add me. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    . It's actually worse to have to have your body drastically change than deal with it your whole life honesty.

That's a hell of an assumption. No wonder you didn't get any friends from it.