breakfast ideas in the car

Options
13»

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I also teach, and have to leave by 5:30 to be on time to work (so, dog walking by 4 if I'm exercising before work.) Mornings are not my best.

I eat breakfast at school, and have access to a fridge and a microwave, so, on days when I eat breakfast, I tend to have one of the following:

crockpot steel cut oats (I make a big batch overnight on Sunday, then put it into glass containers Monday morning.)
    leftover roasted vegetables
    cold yogurt/fruit/rolled oat parfait
    Baybel cheese and an apple
    microwaved cinnamon apple or banana (slap a cored apple in a glass dish, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and cook until juicy)
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I use a on-the-go blender (called 'fit & fresh' maybe??) that I load up the night before. 20 second blend, switch the lid and I'm out the door. Works fantastic...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...but that kind of stuff makes me go "meh" to everything else that person had say.

I'm devastated.

:smokin:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I like how whenever you ask a question in the forums, most people are helpful but there's always those one or two people who try to be a smartass. (And really? You can't drive without eating something in one hand? Unless you drive a stick shift, you are probably coordination impaired and probably shouldn't be driving anyway. )

Well, actually, there is evidence to suggest (e.g. Young & Lenné, 2010) that eating in the car is almost as dangerous ans using a mobile in terms of attention impairment. There is no need to insult him when he was only saying it's safer for everyone if you concentrate on the road.

Hmm. The whole thing reeks of hypocrisy to me though. I would be surprised if even the "keep it safe" folks haven't eaten while driving

But if she's eating breakfast with one hand and putting on her makeup with the other, how is she going to hold her cell phone?

True story!
  • WonkaCat
    WonkaCat Posts: 42
    Options
    You can make these and freeze them, take them with you for an easy breakfast. I use 1/4 cup of honey instead of the stevia.

Banana Protein Muffins
    ■3/4 cup very ripe banana
    ■3/4 cup egg whites
    ■1/2 cup plain low-fat greek yogurt
    ■3/4 cup oats (I used old-fashioned)
    ■2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    ■1/4 cup baking stevia
    ■1 teaspoon baking powder
    ■1 teaspoon baking soda
    ■1 teaspoon cinnamon
    ■foil liners
    ■cooking spray
    1.Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tray with 12 foil liners and spray with cooking spray. (Note- liners and spray are a must. Muffins made with oats instead of flour tend to stick.)
    2.Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
    3.Divide batter between the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes
  • Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    On Sundays I make a large batch of homemade breakfast burritos then freeze them for the week. You can do this with homemade egg mcmuffins as well.

For the burritos, I scramble 12 eggs, cook up a bag of hashbrowns, cook 12 pieces of bacon and shred up some cheese. Each tortilla has 1/4 cup eggs, 1/2 cup potatoes, 1 piece of bacon (crumbled) and a couple tbsp. of cheese. Very filling and very tasty.
  • alward215
    alward215 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials (Vanilla powder)
    8oz 1/2% Milk
    4 to 6oz of any flavor yogurt

Add to shaker bottle and shake and drink...
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I really hate to be that person but please, leave a little earlier in the day or find time to not eat the car. After years of hand me down cars and tons of mechanic trouble, I bought a 2012 Camry, I was so proud and I baby it. In March I got rear ended by someone going 25-30 because a kid ran out in front of me and I slammed on my brakes, and the person behind me was distracted because the burger patty slipped out of their bun and onto their lap. It messed my car all up, I had to pay for a rental car, the value of my car plummeted, my insurance went up, etc. I'm only 25 and on a budget, so this is going to sting for awhile.

So PLEASE, everyone just give yourself some time. I know we all live busy lives but you could really ruin someones life. What if I didn't have full coverage, hell what if I didn't even have insurance? Lots of people are in that boat, unemployed, uninsured, etc.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I like how whenever you ask a question in the forums, most people are helpful but there's always those one or two people who try to be a smartass. (And really? You can't drive without eating something in one hand? Unless you drive a stick shift, you are probably coordination impaired and probably shouldn't be driving anyway. )

Well, actually, there is evidence to suggest (e.g. Young & Lenné, 2010) that eating in the car is almost as dangerous ans using a mobile in terms of attention impairment. There is no need to insult him when he was only saying it's safer for everyone if you concentrate on the road.

Hmm. The whole thing reeks of hypocrisy to me though. I would be surprised if even the "keep it safe" folks haven't eaten while driving

But if she's eating breakfast with one hand and putting on her makeup with the other, how is she going to hold her cell phone?

Just to mitigate the 'sexist jerk' thoughts - I was rear-ended @ about 45 MPH last year by someone approximating the profile outlined above. My car was totaled and I was laid up for the better part of a month with neck/back pain.

In order to hit me, the paragon of multi-tasking had to:
    1) Miss a flashing 'Prepare to Stop' sign
    2) A red traffic light
    3) A car (mine) stopped at said light

My car had been paid off and I was planning on driving it for at least another 5 years - so now i get a nice monthly reminder of Miss Multi-task's dumb-f*ckery every time I get to make a car payment.

Call me old fashioned, but I just happen to adhere to the crazy thought that when driving, people should be focused on driving. Your commute is 'our' time - eat on your own time.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    my typical morning involves working out at 5 am then rushing over to work where I have no time to sit really (I'm a teacher) . I need something for breakfast I could eat in the car on the way from the gym to my work. Does anybody have any ideas?I don't just want to eat energy bars every day. Thank you!

Can you prep a smoothie before hand? If I'm running late or don't want my normal eggs/bacon/guac breakfast I will blend a banana, some protein powder (Isopure No Carb Mango Peach) and a few handfuls of spinach.

If you were going to drink it AFTER the workout you'd need a shake cup or something you could shake it in as it will separate if left to sit too long.