Fat people ignored by grocery store, free sample people?

Options

Replies

• ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow, so you are a mind-reader also!

I can read your mind, and it's nothing but sarcasm
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a problem either way most of the time. I pretty consistently go to the same stores or places to eat so they know me.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fatism is worse than racism

As the fat, white mother of a brown, healthy weight child I have to say no, just no!
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Really working hard to find something to be offended about, aren't ya, OP? Good grief.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight, I had the exact opposite experience.

People seemed to chase me down to offer me food.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been ignored by the "Free sample people" at the grocery store or farmers market because you're obviously way overweight? I've been noticing that for several years now. Everybody else gets the kettle corn, but they look right through the fat people. Or how about the carving station at a buffet, Again everyone else gets a fair amount of the prime rib, but they want to give overweight people a child's portion, and then just stare at you, as if they want to tell you something. I don't want their stinking samples anymore anyway, and I've always detested all you can eat buffets. I'm just making an observation. Prejudice/ discrimination, hatred against obese people is very obvious in our society. What's your opinion?
    My opinion is that you're being a drama queen.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've always been fat and always been offered the same samples/portions as the skiny person next to me.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    ....I'm not overweight and the sample people never even talk to me. I try to avoid them, avoid all eye contact and they avoid me. Win for me, loss for them because I'm not falling for their tricks and wasting my money on something I don't need.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    No, but I ignore them.
  • mandyosetti
    mandyosetti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My experience has also been that because I'm heavy they assume I'll want something, especially when it comes to the treats.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    When I worked as one of those sample givers (My dad worked for Keebler. "Would you like to try a cookie?") I never even noticed if someone was fat, skinny, muscular, or purple. Alright, purple would have stood out for me.

It had to do with their demeanor. Some people are more obviously closed off. Like those who've said they ignore the sample people. I didn't bother them. If someone avoided eye contact or had that 'leave me alone' feel to them, why bother them? It's very likely more about your own personal attitude and how you project yourself than anything at all to do with your size.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Really working hard to find something to be offended about, aren't ya, OP? Good grief.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned "free samples" because the true issue is that many times in life overweight people are treated like they're second rate citizens. I just wanted to interact with some intelligent people, and hear some examples that they have experienced. I wasn't counting on all of the stupid comments like yours, because this is my first topic.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh, goody, another false sense of discrimination / let's all be offended together thread.... Where will this go?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I always avoid "them" as "they" hate fit people too. I'm pretty sure that they're out to get me, so I interpret every slight, every sidewards glance, and anything but gleeful hugs as a personal attack. In fact, those gleeful hugs are probably sarcastic so I'm staying in bed. Haterz!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Nvm
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Fatism is worse than racism
    I'll tell that to my cousins husband who is a black South African and was banned from SA for many years for being a member of the ANC after he managed to escape prison for the audacity of protesting about apartheid. I'm sure he'll agree with your viewpoint
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Nvm
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned "free samples" because the true issue is that many times in life overweight people are treated like they're second rate citizens. I just wanted to interact with some intelligent people, and hear some examples that they have experienced. I wasn't counting on all of the stupid comments like yours, because this is my first topic.

It would seem from the responses that most overweight people have had the exact opposite experience OP. Maybe it has nothing to do with your weight at all.

And seeing as this is your first topic here I'll give you a bit of advice. If you want to have an intelligent discussion it helps to present an intelligent debate. You admitted you shouldn't have worded the OP like this and presented a strawman argument. Don't be surprised when you are called out on it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My work building has a Godiva in the lobby, and they offered me free samples when I was 125 and when I was over 200 at about the same rate (any time they had them). I've not noticed a difference elsewhere either.

I did become way more aware of how often I was offered free booze (even our supermarkets have samples) after I stopped drinking, so my guess is you may be extra sensitive to whether it's offered or not and reading in the assumption that it's about weight.
  • veggieluvr45
    veggieluvr45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I worked as one of those sample givers (My dad worked for Keebler. "Would you like to try a cookie?") I never even noticed if someone was fat, skinny, muscular, or purple. Alright, purple would have stood out for me.

It had to do with their demeanor. Some people are more obviously closed off. Like those who've said they ignore the sample people. I didn't bother them. If someone avoided eye contact or had that 'leave me alone' feel to them, why bother them? It's very likely more about your own personal attitude and how you project yourself than anything at all to do with your size.

I worked for several years at a major department store as a gourmet foods cook/demonstrator/sampler and that is exactly my experience.