Does anybody actually measure out salad dressing?

Options

Replies

• missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I make my own and it's so low in calories and strong flavored (apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard lol) that it's impossible for me to use too much without ruining the salad.

For stuff like that, I just like to use something that has a limiting factor other than my own raw willpower.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I still do even though I don't count my calories anymore -- 2 measured tablespoons seems to be the perfect amount of dressing. If I just pour it on my salad ends up being over dressed.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    My question would be why wouldn't you measure it? I prefer to have as close to accurate numbers so I weigh mine.
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    if it's runny I pour it into tablespoon to measure, and if it's thick I weigh it :)
    I still do even though I don't count my calories anymore -- 2 measured tablespoons seems to be the perfect amount of dressing. If I just pour it on my salad ends up being over dressed.

Also this -- it helps me dress my salad with the right amount of dressing every time!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I weigh it on a food scale. Bolthouse Farms has these Greek yogurt salad dressings that are pretty good and only 35-45 calories per 2 tbsp (30 grams).
  • voitdancer
    voitdancer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do. For me, the 2 tbsp is plenty.

Ditto!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use a spoon or measuring spoon. If I do it myself I put way too much then my salad is sloppy. When I get a scale I will try the grams method sounds easier. THanks!
  • elfram2
    elfram2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I assume you would lose the bet. don't forget that mfp is world wide so the labels differ from country to country. Can't assume that they say the same thing that your labels say.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I do but wish I could figure out grams instead of measuring with Tablespoons. Weighing is so much eaiser than measuring a liquid that sticks to the Tablespoon.

The labels say 2 Tbsp or 30 ml.

An old saying and vague memories of school science help here. The saying? "A pint's a pound the world around." The school science? Density or weight-per-volume.

Basically, a pint of water weighs about 1 pound. Many foods are about as dense as water. Take butter, for example. A pound box of butter is approximately 2 cups of butter or one pint. When a recipe calls for a cup of buttter, we simply throw two quarter pound sticks in the bowl.

Happily a similar thing is true for metric measures. A milliliter of water (1 ml) weighs one milligram (1g). So, for many foods, and I would include salad dressing among these, 30 ml and 30 g are about the same -- or same enough for the accuracy of our kitchen scales and how thoroughly we do or don't belong to the Clean Plate Club.

Of course, that's not true of all foods. Just as a pound of feathers is a lot bigger than a pound of steel, a pound of panko bread crumbs is a lot bigger than a pound of lard.

Happily, most of the time, when a serving size is given in milliliters (ml) and not in grams (g), the product involved is liquid and probably close enough in density to water so as not to be a factor in our measurements in the kitchen.

So, if you don't want to use tablespoons and a salad dressing serving is given as 30 ml -- just weigh out 30 g on your scale and it will be close enough.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I assume you would lose the bet. don't forget that mfp is world wide so the labels differ from country to country. Can't assume that they say the same thing that your labels say.

That's why I asked what the product was. Many posters have missed that there was a weight in grams listed right on the label
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When i use Walden Farms Calorie Free, I do not. Any time I use a different type/brand I will measure.
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    My question would be why wouldn't you measure it? I prefer to have as close to accurate numbers so I weigh mine.

Putting it into a tablespoon to measure and then having to use another spoon to scrape it off and spread it around sounds like more trouble then it is worth. I just eyeball what I use and get close enough. The honey mustard dressing I have has a dispenser like the kind that comes with plastic ketchup bottles, just the little hole at the top. Easier to pour it with control and not just glop it on. I can see measuring vinaigrette and other oil based salad dressing but the other stuff, no thanks.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I zero out my plate / bowl on the scale and then add it. Takes 5 extra seconds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I weigh it and avoid dressings that give the calories per ml. Like the others, I zero the plate and add it on...
  • aflybutterfly
    aflybutterfly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yep! I am in love with ranch and I will lie to myself if I don't measure!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I measure it out most of the time, but I've been doing it long enough now that I can eyeball the amount and be pretty accurate but if I had attempted this before I would have been eating ranch soup with bits of lettuce and tomato instead of a salad fo sho.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a small salad dressing container that I bought - it holds 35 ml (2 tbsp = 30 ml). I take it to work and I have enough for 3 salads during the week! I use a lot less salad dressing now!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    I put my plate/bowl of salad on the scaled and dispense the dressing, measuring in grams :)
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I do use condiments, I weigh the whole bottle, tare, pour onto salad, weigh bottle again (number displayed will be -26grams or however many I used), record on MFP.

Using a tablespoon creates more dishes.

EDIT: English.
    you could just stick your plate on the food scale then turn it on...it will be at a zero, then you drizzle on until you hit 26 grams or whatever the desired amount.
    Depends on the plate I have. :glasses: