Is this considered a binge?

Options
Okay, so I am trying to maintain my weight and I'm used to eating 1200 calories, but I'm trying to up them. This morning for breakfast, I was planning on having just one bowl of cheerios w/o milk (milk and me don't go very well together) and a banana. That would have been 205 calories. Buut I was still hungry (I think) and I ate a bowl of honey but cheerios (an off brand that was only 110 calories) and a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch (130 calories) both w/o milk. That would equal out to another 240 calories.. Making that 445 calories for breakfast. Would that be considered a binge? Because I couldn't help eating the honey nut and cinnamon toast crunch.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Having a teenager at home such as yourself, I would call it a perfectly normal breakfast!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    No. That is not a binge.

Since you felt it necessary to ask this question, I suggest you have a chat with a trusted adult about your relationship with food.
  • fredriknetterman
    Options
    No sweetie, that is not a binge. A binge is if you would eat like 2000 calories for breakfast. I would just track your macros so you can fit in sweet things that you like so you don't go overboard :)
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In terms of the amount of calories, eating a little over a third of what you allow yourself daily for breakfast doesn't seem like a binge as such. The fact that you weren't able to control yourself does suggest that something was wrong though. It's possible you're restricting yourself too much by aiming for 1200/day and your hunger after the first bowl + banana is your body's way of telling you that. Another possibility is the fact that everything you ate had quite a lot of sugar in it and very little protein or fat; protein and fat-rich foods are generally a lot more satiating compared to carbs, and especially simple carbs. Maybe having either the banana or the bowl of cereal along with an egg, or yoghurt, or a couple of slices of ham etc. would do a better job at leaving you feeling satiated. As a general rule aiming to have a good balance of protein, fat and carbs in every meal is generally going to feel less restrictive and also be more nutritious.
  • littleancientheart
    littleancientheart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I generally consider it a binge if I feel out of control and unable to stop. Don't beat yourself up about it, it happens...just try to reset your determination and stick with good choices the rest of the day. Don't give up because of one slip! Cereals can be high in sugar and lead you to a binge just like cookies or candy. You should consider having a little more protein with your breakfast. It can help you feel full, and protein takes longer to metabolize so you will feel fuller longer. If you eat animal products, you could try eggs or maybe some ham.

Another idea would be to incorporate higher fiber foods, like fresh fruit. The fiber also contributes to feeling full, and slows down the digestion process so again, you feel fuller longer.

A hot cereal like oatmeal has more fiber and will also help you feel full...just be careful what you choose as many prepackaged varieties come with lots of added sugar and artificial ingredients. I always use plain and add fresh fruit for sweetness, or a little honey and peanut butter.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Not really a binge....just a lot of refined carbs/sugar.

My brother (and my husband) could both put away half a box of cereal. no problem.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Determine what your recommended daily calorie limit is to maintain and look at a weekly average of consumption.
    Some days you will eat over your limit and other days you will eat under but as long as your weekly (or monthly) average consumption fits into your goal, you will maintain. Also remember that maintenance is a "weight range", not an exact weight. You will fluctuate (gain a few pounds, lose a few pounds) but your average will be your goal weight.

That said, a breakfast of 500 calories is fine. Your daily calorie limit is unlikely to be under about 1800-2000 (depending on height and activity level). Don't be afraid of food. Eat wisely and eat well. Reach your maintenance calories, which are well above 1200, I'm sure.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    I generally aim to have a breakfast in around the 350 calorie region, including protein, to feel full for the morning. My go-to is a bowl of instant porridge with a boiled egg and a white coffee.
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    No way. 445 calories for a meal is considered pretty average, not a binge. Don't be too hard on yourself! :)
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No. That is not a binge.

Since you felt it necessary to ask this question, I suggest you have a chat with a trusted adult about your relationship with food.

This :( You know you need more than you are eating to maintain your weight, yet are struggling to eat it and at the same time struggling to control what you eat. I think it's time to talk with someone about how you've been feeling.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    cereal is the devil who really stops at one bowl? I think what you did is normal. I never even had cereal in my house except when i have company who wants it.

Try eating eggs and toast for breakfast..it is satisfying..and you never feel like.. "gosh I need to eat a dozen more eggs." trust me. :flowerforyou:
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Not a binge ^_^ if you pulled an old me and had a large bag of Smartfood and a Grande Caramel Frapp for breakfast then yes :P
  • ANTlSOClAL
    Options
    Cereal doesn't fill me up at all. It makes me more hungry.
    If 500 calories were a binge, then I binge every meal.
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think that perhaps it could be considered a binge, but the more important thing I think you should consider is why you felt compelled to eat so much cereal. I think your body was craving fat and protein, and that's why the cereal and the banana didn't do it for you. Try swapping out the cereal for some cheese or some yogurt. Even though I love the taste of cereal, I'm a firm believer that it does absolutely nothing good for your body.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think that perhaps it could be considered a binge, but the more important thing I think you should consider is why you felt compelled to eat so much cereal. I think your body was craving fat and protein, and that's why the cereal and the banana didn't do it for you. Try swapping out the cereal for some cheese or some yogurt. Even though I love the taste of cereal, I'm a firm believer that it does absolutely nothing good for your body.

I would not take advice from someone whose first sentiment is that something less than 500 calories could be considered a binge.

Eat cereal if you want to. Your body is craving food because it sounds like you are used to being on 1200 calories (not sustainable) and I'm not sure what you're currently upping your calories to but my guess is that it is still not enough.
  • RamyunChi
    Options
    I think you are fine. If I were to eat that much cereal in the morning (which I most def. will sometime in my near future) all I would do is balance out what I ate for the rest of the day. It seems like you knew what you were doing and weren't sitting there with all the cereal boxes next to you chowing down. (And even if you were, you're human and crave and want food). If you don't already, drink a nice glass of water before eating breakfast! It'll make you feel fuller and keep you hydrated.Don't feel ashamed of what you did. Cereal is f-ing awesome!
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's not a binge, but 500 cals of cereal and fruit will make you hungry again in an hour Or so.

Cereal is awesome for food and drug companies. Not for people.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I often ate that much for breakfast when I was losing and regularly do now that I'm maintaining. If you'd eaten the whole dang box of cereal, a gallon of milk, and a three-pound bag of berries, that might be a binge. 450-500 calories of cereal and milk meant you woke up hungry. Log it and move on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Binge = eating out of control without being able to stop, without being hungry. Whether it's 200 calories or 2000. I had a 'binge' of 4 chocolates yesterday. Probably only 240 calories worth... but still a binge.

So yeah, you had a binge... just move on.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

definitely this.