any tips welcome

Options
So for the past 5 weeks I have been working out 3 hours a week (3x 1hour sessions) with a personal trainer, I do a mix of weights and cardio (mainly weights)

I have cut out sugar from my diet (with exception to about one starbucks a month),
I eat between 900 and 1500 calories a day mainly veg, I don't eat pasta or white bread often.
My meat preference is chicken and fish
I drink green tea and coffee with a little honey and a drop of skim milk.

I am now starting on a 6 hour work out week for weights and an extra 15-30 minutes a day for cardio.
I had my first b12 injection last week and will be getting one twice a month.

I wake up at around 157lbs and when i go to bed i am up to almost 161lbs
I am 5 foot 5 female and my lightest weight was 124lbs (about 2 years ago)
My measurements fluctuate, one day i lose an inch the next its back to how it was.

My problem is I am still the same weight as i was 5 weeks ago, Has anyone been here and if so how did you manage to start losing weight again. Do you have any other tips I could try.

P.S I researched starvation mode and that is a myth your body still had to burn calories to keep going each day, so please no comments about starvation mode.

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Just because starvation mode is a myth doesn't mean that eating 900 cals a day isn't a terrible idea. Because it is. Not only that, it's also against the community guidelines to advertise or condone very low calorie diets.

All the tips you will need are in this bombshell of a thread. Thank me later. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants
  • whyyesitsneke
    Options
    First, measure once a week, not daily. So many things affect your body (from water intake to cramping muscles), that doing it daily, or multiple times a day, makes it seem inaccurate and fluctuating more than it is. For example, I eat milk product and I puff up. I drink water and I slim down. In like, an hour.

The thread that was suggested is great but in the end, how are you eating in the day? Metabolism is a huge part of weight loss after all, so munching throughout the day is good.
  • kellysam1
    kellysam1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just because starvation mode is a myth doesn't mean that eating 900 cals a day isn't a terrible idea. Because it is. Not only that, it's also against the community guidelines to advertise or condone very low calorie diets.

All the tips you will need are in this bombshell of a thread. Thank me later. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

thanks but I did say between 900 and 1500 so over 7 days it averages around 1200 a day. thank you for the link though :)
    and I do not believe that I advertised or condoned any low calorie diet in my post, if I have please tell me which part so i can edit
  • kellysam1
    kellysam1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    First, measure once a week, not daily. So many things affect your body (from water intake to cramping muscles), that doing it daily, or multiple times a day, makes it seem inaccurate and fluctuating more than it is. For example, I eat milk product and I puff up. I drink water and I slim down. In like, an hour.

The thread that was suggested is great but in the end, how are you eating in the day? Metabolism is a huge part of weight loss after all, so munching throughout the day is good.

I agree I am just very impatient lol :)
    I try to eat 3 x a day I used to skip breakfast but now I make an effort to have something small
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories and eat more protein. 900 calories is stupid. 1500 is not enough if you're working out. If you're lifting, you’re building muscle mass so weight loss may not show up on a scale. You're trainer should be able to optimize a workout for you to lose weight. I personally like lifting low weight and high reps with minimal reps for weight loss.

(Also, I like weighing myself everyday too. But don't pay attention to short term weight loss/gain)
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I wake up at around 157lbs and when i go to bed i am up to almost 161lbs

first of all, don't weigh yourself at multiple points throughout the day. you're inevitably going to vary based on how much you've eaten, how much you've... uh... eliminated, the weather, stress, or other bodily reactions to foods that are either unfamiliar or to which you've got an intolerance. generally the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning, naked, after going to the bathroom and before eating anything.

i've watched myself gain 3 pounds just between waking and after having my weekend morning coffee. and i have to remind myself that it's not REAL weight, it's just the weight of the liquids that i've just consumed.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

thanks but I did say between 900 and 1500 so over 7 days it averages around 1200 a day. thank you for the link though :)
    and I do not believe that I advertised or condoned any low calorie diet in my post, if I have please tell me which part so i can edit

Well, by saying you DO eat 900 cals a day, that's a form of condoning.

1200 is very likely not a good number for you, either.

MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, not even quite 5 feet! So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
  • elaine22014
    Options
    I attend a bootcamp and one of the things the instructor tells us is to mix it up a bit. If you do the same thing your body gets use to it and doesn't burn as many calories as it once did. It seems to work. Everyone in the class agrees. Some have lost 40 pounds this last year. I just started 2 weeks ago and have already lost 8 pounds. His workouts vary daily, plus I started running a little more than a week ago 6 days a week. I stay on dirt trails as it is easier on the knees and I just had an ACL replacement 5 1/2 months ago. I run hills, and it's hard but I can already see an improvement. Hope this helped.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    divergent-bad-movie-reviews-9.gif

There's so much wrong with this that I'm not even sure where to start. I'm sure others will take care of it for me.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    An average of 1200 calories is not enough to sustain that much activity.

Find your TDEE, cut 20% off of it, and eat that number regularly. Get at least 115g protein/day. Stop comparing your morning and evening weight.

After 5 more weeks of that, check back in.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    No.
    Munching throughout the day has nothing to do with metabolism.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

I agree I am just very impatient lol :)
    I try to eat 3 x a day I used to skip breakfast but now I make an effort to have something small

Meal frequency and timing have not been shown to affect weight loss: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    An average of 1200 calories is not enough to sustain that much activity.

Find your TDEE, cut 20% off of it, and eat that number regularly. Get at least 115g protein/day. Stop comparing your morning and evening weight.

After 5 more weeks of that, check back in.

take this advice plz.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Oh....I thought this was going to be about something else. Sorry......
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options

There's so much wrong with this that I'm not even sure where to start. I'm sure others will take care of it for me.

I just plain old love this gif.

OP, your exercise activity would probably warrant more calories. Consider talking with your trainer about what they'd suggest for workout days in particular.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

I just plain old love this gif.

OP, your exercise activity would probably warrant more calories. Consider talking with your trainer about what they'd suggest for workout days in particular.

The fact that someone is a trainer doesn't mean that they know anything about nutritional needs. Trainers (unless they are nutritionists) are not supposed to give specific dietary advice. Many of them do, but it is considered unethical according to the guidelines of their accrediting bodies. The ACE has a section in its ethical code book that states trainers should avoid giving specific dietary and nutrition advice, and trainers have successfully been sued for doing so.
  • ClimbrDan
    Options
    3 hours a week of weights probably means that you are gaining muscle, which is a good thing. This is especially likely if you are relatively new to weightlifting.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    try lifting heavier weights at your next workout
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    3 hours a week of weights probably means that you are gaining muscle, which is a good thing. This is especially likely if you are relatively new to weightlifting.

If she is in a calorie deficit (which she is. A huge one, I might add), her body is essentially incapable of building muscle. You need fuel to build muscle.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Your avatar makes the title of this thread hilarious.