any tips welcome

Options
2»

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    An average of 1200 calories is not enough to sustain that much activity.

Find your TDEE, cut 20% off of it, and eat that number regularly. Get at least 115g protein/day. Stop comparing your morning and evening weight.

After 5 more weeks of that, check back in.

take this advice plz.

^^ I agree
    27xldoj.jpg
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    TIL that honey has no sugar in it.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    OP, your exercise activity would probably warrant more calories. Consider talking with your trainer about what they'd suggest for workout days in particular.

The fact that someone is a trainer doesn't mean that they know anything about nutritional needs. Trainers (unless they are nutritionists) are not supposed to give specific dietary advice. Many of them do, but it is considered unethical according to the guidelines of their accrediting bodies. The ACE has a section in its ethical code book that states trainers should avoid giving specific dietary and nutrition advice, and trainers have successfully been sued for doing so.

I would never suggest she take that over the advice of a doctor or nutritionist, but I didn't know that presumably the US has such stringent rules against it. Where I'm from, both (qualified) trainers I've had commented on my nutritional plan. You learn something new every day!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    when you start working out…there is a false weight gain due to muscle tears holding water weight. I have read it can last for six weeks or so.

also.. the way you're eating is not going to be sustainable for life. you know that.. and i understand the desire to just get the weight off.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    3 hours a week of weights probably means that you are gaining muscle, which is a good thing. This is especially likely if you are relatively new to weightlifting.

Rodrick.nope.gif
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    3 hours a week of weights probably means that you are gaining muscle, which is a good thing. This is especially likely if you are relatively new to weightlifting.

This is so true! Ignore the haters.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    61ceZFo.gif
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Slorvertisement?
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    So my tip doesn't have to be clean before it's welcome?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    First, measure once a week, not daily. So many things affect your body (from water intake to cramping muscles), that doing it daily, or multiple times a day, makes it seem inaccurate and fluctuating more than it is. For example, I eat milk product and I puff up. I drink water and I slim down. In like, an hour.

The thread that was suggested is great but in the end, how are you eating in the day? Metabolism is a huge part of weight loss after all, so munching throughout the day is good.

Grazing does not affect metabolic rate.
    Eat more calories and eat more protein. 900 calories is stupid. 1500 is not enough if you're working out. If you're lifting, you’re building muscle mass so weight loss may not show up on a scale. You're trainer should be able to optimize a workout for you to lose weight. I personally like lifting low weight and high reps with minimal reps for weight loss.

(Also, I like weighing myself everyday too. But don't pay attention to short term weight loss/gain)

1st bolded: You will not build muscle while in a deficit and certainly not when consuming most of the 900 calories from vegetables equating to inadequate protein intakes for even maintaining muscle.

2nd bolded: Low weight, high rep is not weight training, it's cardio that incorporates weights.
    I attend a bootcamp and one of the things the instructor tells us is to mix it up a bit. If you do the same thing your body gets use to it and doesn't burn as many calories as it once did. It seems to work. Everyone in the class agrees. Some have lost 40 pounds this last year. I just started 2 weeks ago and have already lost 8 pounds. His workouts vary daily, plus I started running a little more than a week ago 6 days a week. I stay on dirt trails as it is easier on the knees and I just had an ACL replacement 5 1/2 months ago. I run hills, and it's hard but I can already see an improvement. Hope this helped.

It can be useful to change up a routine every 8 to 12 weeks due to adaptation but changing things up everyday is a recipe for not accomplishing any actual fitness goals other than calorie burns.

No, as I explained above.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    First, measure once a week, not daily. So many things affect your body (from water intake to cramping muscles), that doing it daily, or multiple times a day, makes it seem inaccurate and fluctuating more than it is. For example, I eat milk product and I puff up. I drink water and I slim down. In like, an hour.

The thread that was suggested is great but in the end, how are you eating in the day? Metabolism is a huge part of weight loss after all, so munching throughout the day is good.

Eat more calories and eat more protein. 900 calories is stupid. 1500 is not enough if you're working out. If you're lifting, you’re building muscle mass so weight loss may not show up on a scale. You're trainer should be able to optimize a workout for you to lose weight. I personally like lifting low weight and high reps with minimal reps for weight loss.

(Also, I like weighing myself everyday too. But don't pay attention to short term weight loss/gain)

1st bolded: You will not build muscle while in a deficit and certainly not when consuming most of the 900 calories from vegetables equating to inadequate protein intakes for even maintaining muscle.

2nd bolded: Low weight, high rep is not weight training, it's cardio that incorporates weights.
    I attend a bootcamp and one of the things the instructor tells us is to mix it up a bit. If you do the same thing your body gets use to it and doesn't burn as many calories as it once did. It seems to work. Everyone in the class agrees. Some have lost 40 pounds this last year. I just started 2 weeks ago and have already lost 8 pounds. His workouts vary daily, plus I started running a little more than a week ago 6 days a week. I stay on dirt trails as it is easier on the knees and I just had an ACL replacement 5 1/2 months ago. I run hills, and it's hard but I can already see an improvement. Hope this helped.

It can be useful to change up a routine every 8 to 12 weeks due to adaptation but changing things up everyday is a recipe for not accomplishing any actual fitness goals other than calorie burns.

giphy.gif
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    So my tip doesn't have to be clean before it's welcome?

That's what I gathered from the title.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    An average of 1200 calories is not enough to sustain that much activity.

Find your TDEE, cut 20% off of it, and eat that number regularly. Get at least 115g protein/day. Stop comparing your morning and evening weight.

After 5 more weeks of that, check back in.

Best advice, do this, believe her, /thread
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    when your body goes in to survival mode it holds on to calories. Eat more balanced calories and don't weigh or measure yourself every day. Give it time and keep eating healthy and working out and it will come off
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    when your body goes in to survival mode it holds on to calories. Eat more balanced calories and don't weigh or measure yourself every day. Give it time and keep eating healthy and working out and it will come off

Unless the OPs body resembles the level of deprivation that this man experienced, she's not in survival mode (aka starvation mode).

legg1_zps847d9753.jpg
  • kellysam1
    kellysam1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice
    by the way I did forget that i do usually drink protein shakes daily
    and my profile pic was me before my weight gain due to a surgery over a year ago.

If anyone knows how to delete this thread let me know, it seems to be getting too much bad attention (which I do not like to read)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    and my profile pic was me before my weight gain due to a surgery over a year ago.

If anyone knows how to delete this thread let me know, it seems to be getting too much bad attention (which I do not like to read)
    I thought ALL TIPS were welcome:flowerforyou:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

I thought ALL TIPS were welcome:flowerforyou:

Be careful what you wish for! :wink: :laugh:

All joking aside, please consider reading the sexypants thread. It has a LOT of info, but it's all great. I've read it multiple times. good luck! :drinker:
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
    What are you some kind of geologist?