Cutting Out Foods

Options
13»

Replies

• JaimieAG
    JaimieAG Posts: 48
    Options
    Every one has their journeys. Baby steps... don't put too much pressure on yourself

Swap coke for juice. Then juice for juicing.

Swap coke for sweet tea. Then sweet tea for unsweet tea.

Swap coke for diet coke. Diet coke for water.

It's good to acknowledge, without judgment, that drinking lots of soda daily is not healthy.

It's also good to acknowledge, without judgment, that coke is tasty & always available.

Have a game plan ready in advance ;).

Best of luck always. Soda is a tough habit to break but it's also one of the most beneficial to your health and such a milestone in your weight loss journey.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had this problem. I was drinking a full bottle of Diet Coke everyday and nothing else. I don't drink coffee or anything, and my energy levels were always low due to depression.
    How I resolved it was by drinking water, but not cutting out coke. So I always started the day off with a couple of glasses of water to make sure I wasn't thirsty, because if you're not thirsty it seems kind of nauseating to drink coke when you're full of water.
    I drink about 15 glasses per day now (and enjoy it) but I'll still have coke if I really feel like it.
    A bottle lasts a week now, though.
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i have cut soft drinks, but i never was a big soft drink drinker anyway... I find water can get boring so I have milk daily, I love my plain milk, and I drink both cow milk and almond milk
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have never really drank coke. That would be like a big deal/decision for me to have one. To me, it's a waste of calories. But really, I just think there's a bunch of nasty crap in there.

Have you ever tried the MASH sodas? Way more natural and probably a little less calories. I drink them when I'm craving something like that.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A can of Coke has about the same number of calories as two eggs.

A can of Coke does nothing to fill you up, while two eggs can fill you up for some period of time.

Wouldn't you rather swap out the Coke for the two eggs while you're trying to lose weight?

Illogical post lacks logic.

The rocket scientists are out tonight.

So let's say you are on a 1,600 calorie daily limit. You struggle sometimes because you feel hungry. Now let's say it's 7:30 PM and you've had 1,450 calories. You can have two eggs and a Diet Coke, or just a can of Coke. Which will make you less hungry?

Jeopardy music, please.

OP didn't say she was struggling with hunger or calories. Your post is irrelevant.

Thanks for the "back". What ^^^^she said. Try to stay on topic.
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was too a big soft drink consumer usually in a day I could drink 2-3 cans of coke/pepsi
    plus 1-2 cans (497 ml) of rockstar/redbull (had this addiction for maybe 6 years) sooooo I first cut back the rockstar to 1 can a week.

As for soft drinks I didn't had much difficulty not drinking them I mean I replaced them with water and I don't feel the need
    to take a can and I still have a drawer full of soft drink (60 cans)

as for diet coke, its not an option for me first, it taste horrible! second aspartam or sugar replacement things
    they are not healthy for your body.

my suggestion is you do as I am doing with my rockstar, 1 a week, it doesn't hurt :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    A can of Coke has about the same number of calories as two eggs.

A can of Coke does nothing to fill you up, while two eggs can fill you up for some period of time.

Wouldn't you rather swap out the Coke for the two eggs while you're trying to lose weight?

but i want a beverage.

your logic needs work.

if you simply cannot make a can of coke work in your day, then opt for a diet coke or coke zero, though zero is FAR superior.

No your logic needs work. Have water or a diet soda or a diet iced tea with your eggs, correct? How hard is that?

yes my logic is the issue.

OP: "i drink soda"
    YOU: "have eggs instead"

lolwut?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    As I'm logging my food and liquid intake, I'm noticing that I am drinking a lot more junk than I used to, and I am debating cutting it all out. To be clear, I'm eating healthier and healthier (it's like each day gets better!), and I am losing weight, but I'm drinking empty calories. Juice has been a common culprit, but so has that lovely oh-so-not-healthy liquid known as Coke.

I often give advice to dieting friends that cutting out foods like ice cream completely is unwise, but to simply cut back. That way, if you want it it will not be a binge/guilt scenario, and you tend to cut back more and more as you find you crave it less. I know that doesn't work for everybody, but it did for me in the case of food. I also know tons of people who advocate cutting out junk food and eating 100% healthy. But I'm not one of them; healthy is great and all but sometimes, I want a bit of brownie.

So back to the Coke issue. I know its unhealthy and I am trying to cut back, but I struggle with control and if its here, I drink it. Should I simply cut it out of the diet altogether? I feel it will help with the weight loss, as well as help to regulate my sugar intake, since soda is sugary as heck.

My only worry is that I will want more juice as a result, but I feel I should cut that out as well, and just switch to water and ONLY water?

Any suggestions on a good way to do this or if I'm on the right track with my thoughts here?
    I used to have the same type of problem with foods (haven't liked sugar drinks since I was a kid). My suggestion is to pre-log and fit it into your calories for the day. Don't eat anything outside of what you have logged.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, non-diet coke and juice are fine if you can fit them into your calories. From an overall health perspective though, things are a bit less clear. One soda per day may be fine, but most people probably shouldn't be drinking several sodas per day.

Also, the whole "put down the coke and eat eggs" bit... please don't change MFP. :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't cut out anything except sodas and juice. Haven't had either in 1.5 year, because it's not worth the calories to me (except apricot nectar, but you can only find it in big bottles so it's not worth it). If it's worth it to you, just have some once in a while.
  • whyyesitsneke
    Options
    I don't believe in cutting things out infinitely, but if it's something you know is just not good for you -- soda -- and you want to not drink it, then get it out of your house. Out of sight, out of mind is the main thing that works for me. I was hooked on diet coke and I still indulge every now and then, but generally only at a restaurant, as I don't buy it at Costco anymore. As for juice, the only sips I take of that are after a shot of tequila. :drinker: I'd say same thing, just get it out of your house and have similar/healthier products available.

I think this is what I'll do.

Its not about the calories, necessarily for me, this decision. Its that I know the stuff isn't good for me, and I could be filling those calories with something nutritious and filling.

I'm going to try Coke Zero at the movies tonight! Ive yet to try it so I'm a bit curious if it tastes different; I know diet coke leave my mouth feeling weird so I'm curious, hah!
  • whyyesitsneke
    Options
    Eh, I suppose I should clarify that the soda and juice is not making me go over my calories. Im careful enough about that. I don't drink a ton, and if I do, I make sure I don't go over.

The issue isn't the calories, just that I feel i don't need it... but when its here, I drink it when I'm thirsty.

this is an interesting detail to add.

if youre not going over, then why cut it?
    if you enjoy it, and youre able to maintain your deficit, then continue enjoying it. who knows...if you eliminate it, you may find yourself filling that craving with something else that DOES make you go over.

sounds to me like youre doing it right!
    keep it up OP!

I'll have to keep that in mind in case I start craving super sugary things. I know in the past I would have frozen juice pops in the freezer (homemade so not sugary store bought ones. Yes, they're still sugary, but they're not NEARLY as bad) and when I really want that sugar I'll go for them. maybe I'll try this again, as an alternative treat for myself.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would try to drink more water and just have a coke now and then. No need to get drastic and cut things out completely forever. You'll just end up craving it more and more. Instead of having one or two cokes a day, just have one every other day, or maybe 2-3 times a week. That way you're still enjoying it but the majority of the time you're drinking water which is much better for you.
  • whyyesitsneke
    Options
    You shouldn't ever completely cut any foods out. Just eat them less and in moderation. Because you'll quit eating those foods for the duration of your weight loss process, and then you'll reach your goal and then want to bring those foods back in, then you'll just regain all that weight all over again. So don't ever feel like you need to cut all bad foods out. Eat in moderation during your weight loss process, make it fit into your macros, (and if it doesn't, there is always tomorrow to get on track again) and the results will come! I'd rather eat what I like and have a slow weight loss process than cut it out, lose weight quickly and then regain it all when I bring foods back in that I gave up

I fully agree. Thats why when people tell me they are 100% not eating ice cream I laugh, because I know it wouldnt work for me.

With coke and other sodas though, its more of a "oh its there" thing, I find. I dont crave pop; I just see it and grab one.