Weight Gain :(

Options
OK so last week I posted asking about calories. I'm 5'10 (female) and WAS eating 1250 calories in addition to exercise. People suggest I need to up the calories and it made sense as I was feeling very tired. So I went up to 1750.

My normal Thursday weigh in was happy- down a pound. So I decide to keep going with that. And then, today I was feeling down about the weight loss so when I went into training I decided to step on the scale. Up a pound. Ugh. What the?????

I'm supposed to be losing 1.7 lbs a week.

Any thoughts???

Replies

• Aikigoth
    Aikigoth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    FWI- If anyone says CICO, I may stalk them down in real life and murder them. I have a heart rate monitor and weigh all my food. I strength train twice a week with a trainer. I eat 95% at home, from scratch. If it was just calories in, calories out I wouldn't be crying myself to sleep each night.
  • Kaitou
    Kaitou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Could it be what you wearing when you were weighing in? (i.e you were wearing a heavy pair of jeans instead of leggings this time?)

I wouldn't be too upset over the weight gain. It's a very small amount, and many people actually gain a little weight as they become fitter, because they're adding muscle.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    FWI- If anyone says CICO, I may stalk them down in real life and murder them. I have a heart rate monitor and weigh all my food. I strength train twice a week with a trainer. I eat 95% at home, from scratch. If it was just calories in, calories out I wouldn't be crying myself to sleep each night.

Quoting..just in case.

CICO
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Don't panic over small ups and downs. It's likely normal water fluctuations
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Our weight can fluctuate up or down several pounds just in water weight. Don't sweat the small changes - look for the overall trends.

I can "gain" 3 or 4 pounds over night just from a salty meal. It's not a real gain - it goes away in a few days. A strenuous workout can also have your muscles retaining extra water - that too will go away.

Don't panic. :flowerforyou:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

This is a chart I made last year (using my own weigh ins) that shows day to day fluctuations. Notice how the overall trend is down:
    29l0bqr.jpg

Measurements are better for tracking progress.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Stress, hormones, sodium, increase in exercise...they can all cause water weight to increase.

If you know you didn't eat 3500 calories above maintenance in four days, don't worry about it.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Once I lost 3 pounds in a day. It was probably poop. So if you want to cheer yourself up, have a good poo?
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Our weight can fluctuate up or down several pounds just in water weight. Don't sweat the small changes - look for the overall trends.

I can "gain" 3 or 4 pounds over night just from a salty meal. It's not a real gain - it goes away in a few days. A strenuous workout can also have your muscles retaining extra water - that too will go away.

Don't panic. :flowerforyou:

^ This. It sucks, and we all struggle with fluctuations that result in gain, but it WILL go away. Just make sure you are drinking enough water, and keep doing what you are doing. You're doing great.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters...It's probably normal fluctuations. Especially if you're training hard. I've known people who have "shot up" ten pounds over the course of just a few days, due to water retention, unhealthy food choices, binges, etc. I wouldn't "cry myself to sleep" over 1 pound. Give it a little more time, trust the process, and then see if it works. If not, reevaluate. Try not to get discouraged :flowerforyou:
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Maybe horrid *****iness retains water.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think taking a chill pill is the best advice I've got for ya.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    OK so last week I posted asking about calories. I'm 5'10 (female) and WAS eating 1250 calories in addition to exercise. People suggest I need to up the calories and it made sense as I was feeling very tired. So I went up to 1750.

My normal Thursday weigh in was happy- down a pound. So I decide to keep going with that. And then, today I was feeling down about the weight loss so when I went into training I decided to step on the scale. Up a pound. Ugh. What the?????

Any thoughts???

First of all, I am 3 different weights every day. Going up a pound is nothing to worry about. If you're female, it could be your period.

But what I'm really interested in....How does MFP really work?? How are you allowed to eat 1750 a day and still lose 1.7 a week? I haven't eaten 1750 daily in over 2 months. I'm jealous. And honestly curious how it works.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the previous posters' thoughts, here are my weigh-ins for the month of June:

126.2 127 127.2 125.6 125 127 127.2
    128.8 128.8 128 128 129.2 128 127.2
    127 128.8 127.2 127.4 127 125.4 125.4
    125 125 126.2 125.8 125.4 124.6 124.6

Notice I've got a range from 124.6 all the way up to 129.2 (had a lot of salt the night before that one).

It doesn't negate CICO. You just can't tell exactly how much fat you have based on the scale. You have to track the trend over time.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    CICO?

And you're weighing way too often. This is in the realm of normal fluctuation. Track the numbers and look for an overall downward trend as suggested above.

EDIT: Calories in calories out. *duh, self*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Any thoughts???

First of all, I am 3 different weights every day. Going up a pound is nothing to worry about. If you're female, it could be your period.

But what I'm really interested in....How does MFP really work?? How are you allowed to eat 1750 a day and still lose 1.7 a week? I haven't eaten 1750 daily in over 2 months. I'm jealous. And honestly curious how it works.

MFP calculates an estimate based on height, weight, age, and activity level. OP also didn't mention whether she's doing the exercise calorie model or the TDEE method, which gives you a higher goal but then you don't log your exercise.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think taking a chill pill is the best advice I've got for ya.

Heh...:flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It isn't uncommon to up calories and experience a temporary upswing on the scale.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    CIO - cry it out.

You're probably getting ready to start your period. Take a midol, watch The Notebook, maybe eat a small piece of chocolate. In 3-5 days, you should be right as rain.