It's the Zombie Apocalypse-is your skill set up to snuff?

Options
kimberlyblindsey
kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
Last year when the Walking Dead series returned UC Irvine was offering a non credit online course that correlated with the Walking Dead series. One of the courses in the series had us to assess how our skill set could be used in midst of the zombie apocalypse and the weeks and months after when the availability of necessities became more scarce. It was disheartening to find that a lot of my skills sadly relied upon technology.
So with that said, what skills do ya'll have that could be readily applied in this type of situation? What would be your new job if you found yourself rebuilding/ revising civilization as we know it? What would you need to learn?

Replies

• the__great__beyond
    Options
    If it happens, i don't see the point of survival only to continue to live in fear for perpetuity. I'd rather take two to the head and end the suffering.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    If it happens, i don't see the point of survival only to continue to live in fear for perpetuity. I'd rather take two to the head and end the suffering.
    Of course I do not believe this will ever happen, but for entertainment sake. . . .
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options

I call dibs on the glasses.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with ^ if it happens.
  • Hammybone
    Hammybone Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to think that I'd be pretty good at being zombie bait.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    Haha, me too:(
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    If zombie apocalypse actually was a thing that was going to happen, when it did I would sit on my roof eating popcorn observing until I died.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I can grow food, find water, purify water, make explosives (everyone with a chemistry-related degree can do this but chooses not to), render first aid, find wild edible plants, weave nets, make fish and animal traps from natural materials, ride horses, shoot a bow accurately, wield a katana (as in actually trained not just swinging it around), shoot a rifle accurately.

And I have thyroid disease, so I'd be dead as soon as the available supply of thyroxine ran out.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I know how to sew, and i can make a meal out of almost anything. And I was raised by rednecks, we can rig just about anything with a good roll of duct tape.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have all the skills a typical redneck has. Most importantly, I can shoot! However, my cardio needs a lot of work.
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    How does anybody know what skills will be most useful in a Zombie Apocalypse? I mean, has anybody ever SEEN a walking, talking zombie?
  • Mitzki5
    Options
    How does anybody know what skills will be most useful in a Zombie Apocalypse? I mean, has anybody ever SEEN a walking, talking zombie?

Yeah, Nancy Pelosi
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    I can grow food, find water, purify water, make explosives (everyone with a chemistry-related degree can do this but chooses not to), render first aid, find wild edible plants, weave nets, make fish and animal traps from natural materials, ride horses, shoot a bow accurately, wield a katana (as in actually trained not just swinging it around), shoot a rifle accurately.

And I have thyroid disease, so I'd be dead as soon as the available supply of thyroxine ran out.
    Well that's paradoxical; we'd have to find a way to keep you alive.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options

Yeah, Nancy Pelosi
    [/quote
    ^^
    I just spit out my water.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    I have all the skills a typical redneck has. Most importantly, I can shoot! However, my cardio needs a lot of work.
    I got the cardio down, so I could probably outrun them or climb a tree, but my shooting skills are sorely lacking.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Assuming the zombies don't burn the libraries, we could make it from slaughterhouse cow and pig thyroids. I don't know how to do this off-hand and would have to look it up somewhere. Thyroid disease was the first hormonal disease to be treatable (1880s?), because the necessary hormone is relatively easy to obtain from animal sources. However, concentration and therefore dosing from 'dessicated thyroid' is comparatively erratic, and in long-term use there is the risk of developing antibodies to it because animal thyroid hormone is not identical to human thyroid hormone.

Modern thyroid medicine is an exact match of the natural human hormone, courtesy of genetic engineering, so there's no more risk of it causing antibodies than the hormone from a working thyroid. Without looking it up I think the engineered organism is yeast, but I may be wrong on that. Here too, thyroid hormone was one of the earliest drugs to be synthesized commercially via recombinant technology.

add: so while the zombies are running around seeking brains I'd be running around seeking cow thyroids. All this assumes, of course, that cows are immune to zombie-virus.
  • Mitzki5
    Options
    I got the cardio down, so I could probably outrun them or climb a tree, but my shooting skills are sorely lacking.

You could be the bait. Don't worry, I would have you covered, just make sure I have plenty of ammo.

th?id=HN.608051817548614848&pid=15.1&H=160&W=160&P=0
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Giving this some thought, I actually have a number of skills that would prove useful in such a scenario. I'm a good shot, know the basics of tracking, can identify plants and animals fairly well and know basic first aid. I am also in considerably better shape than I used to be. Combined with many years worth of barely repressed rage, I think I could manage for at least a little awhile. I would inevitably lose my mind, however, and that would be the death of me.

Instead, I like to envision myself using my last days on earth as a time of artistic expression: painting the hellish hordes and ravaged landscapes from the temporary safety of a secure rooftop. Like a post-apocalyptic Van Gogh.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options

[/quote/]
    Assuming the zombies don't burn the libraries, we could make it from slaughterhouse cow and pig thyroids. I don't know how to do this off-hand and would have to look it up somewhere. Thyroid disease was the first hormonal disease to be treatable (1880s?), because the necessary hormone is relatively easy to obtain from animal sources. However, concentration and therefore dosing from 'dessicated thyroid' is comparatively erratic, and in long-term use there is the risk of developing antibodies to it because animal thyroid hormone is not identical to human thyroid hormone.

Modern thyroid medicine is an exact match of the natural human hormone, courtesy of genetic engineering, so there's no more risk of it causing antibodies than the hormone from a working thyroid. Without looking it up I think the engineered organism is yeast, but I may be wrong on that. Here too, thyroid hormone was one of the earliest drugs to be synthesized commercially via recombinant technology.

add: so while the zombies are running around seeking brains I'd be running around seeking cow thyroids. All this assumes, of course, that cows are immune to zombie-virus.

I learned something new today, thanks.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Sooooo, morale officer then?