Should I eat anyway?

Options
Sometimes, I'm not hungry at dinner time. Take last night for example, when I finally made it home it was well after 8:30 PM. I wasn't hungry but my brain said "You should eat dinner". Since I just started P90X Lean (I workout in the mornings), I thought it made sense to eat before I went to bed, so I wouldn't wake up famished and be light-headed during my morning workout. Should I have just forgone the meal, went to bed and ate after my morning workout? I can't stomach anything before working out. What say you?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Skipping dinner once is no big deal, but if it's a regular problem, then you should start spreading out your meals and eating more for breakfast/lunch so that you can only have a light dinner. I've heard it's best to make breakfast your heaviest meal, lunch medium, and dinner the lightest, anyways. It is important to eat regularly (at least 3 meals a day - many people eat 5 or 6) to keep blood sugar levels even, and many people are less hungry that way. Plus, if you exercise in the morning, you really need to be eating dinner or a small meal for fuel before you work out - it doesn't seem like it would be healthy to go from lunchtime to the next morning without eating anything and with a workout thrown in there in the morning.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat something small. I went through this when I first started working out and I noticed I lost more weight if I did have something for dinner. Usually I'd have a protien shake or something and I make sure I don't eat after 7.
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Maybe I'll try to the protein shake on those days where I just can't bring myself to shovel something else in or it's after 7pm. I figured I should eat something, I was so concerned with the late hour and didn't want to get back into habit of eating just to be eating.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'll usually have at least a recovery drink or protein shake, but I get the exact same way. Sometimes (and sometimes it lasts 2 or 3 days) I'm just not hungry at all after my workout (which is always before dinner).

It happens. Listening to your body is way more important than shoveling food in your mouth just to satisfy a calorie intake.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Skipping dinner once is no big deal, but if it's a regular problem, then you should start spreading out your meals and eating more for breakfast/lunch so that you can only have a light dinner. I've heard it's best to make breakfast your heaviest meal, lunch medium, and dinner the lightest, anyways. It is important to eat regularly (at least 3 meals a day - many people eat 5 or 6) to keep blood sugar levels even, and many people are less hungry that way. Plus, if you exercise in the morning, you really need to be eating dinner or a small meal for fuel before you work out - it doesn't seem like it would be healthy to go from lunchtime to the next morning without eating anything and with a workout thrown in there in the morning.

+1
  • Dark_Latin_Guy
    Dark_Latin_Guy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would make a protein shake or smoothie (Slow digesting amino acid, you will be in a fasted state overnight, (blunt catabolism) or muscle breakdown. Consume slow digesting proteins atleast you will have plenty of protein to get you through the night, muscles grow not when you work out, but during periods of rest. They will be nourished and grow, do not want your hard work going unnoticed. Besides it will fill you up before bedtime.