What has your weight loss done for you/your overall health?

Options
13»

Replies

• theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just in the last month, my resting heart rate has decreased, I'm sleeping better, and my fitness level has improved. I had to increase the difficulty level on my stationary bike because the previous level was too easy!
  • squeepig
    squeepig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I no longer take one of my 2 psoriatic arthritis medications that I had taken for years. It's not just the weight loss, it's the healthier eating.

Plus, I no longer walk with a cane. :)
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    When I was fourteen I was put on Lipitor. Since then I've had issues with anxiety. I kept thinking that I was having a heart attack, and my body would actually mimic the symptoms of having a heart attack. It got so bad that I actually went to a hospital and checked myself in.

Since getting back into shape and losing the weight, I'm sure my cholesterol levels are still fairly high, but I haven't been feeling those symptoms anymore. Honestly, I think that working out for 7 months isn't going to clear out my arteries.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Forty-five pounds lighter than 2 years ago. Off blood pressure meds completely; in fact, off all meds. No longer pre-diabetic. My knees thank me every day. My joints thank me, too. I thoroughly enjoy being normal-sized again.
  • 9bars
    9bars Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Well done everyone :)

I no longer get any problems with my hiatus hernia, I'll never forget the constant indigestion from over eating.
    I don't keep everyone awake snoring
    I've reduced thyroid meds by nearly half
    BP has gone from sky high to slightly up
    Skin is a lot better, not so dry and the constant goosebumps have gone
    I've gone from breaking a sweat walking around the block for 20 mins to being able to walk for hours without getting tired
    No more swollen ankles
    Any exertion caused me to sweat really embarrassingly it would be running down my face and neck, this summer I've had no problems.

So, so many :)
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    I hardly snore any longer, says my wife.

General movement and moderate activities are much less of a strain on my heart.

Skin is less oily.

Just generally less gross over all, lol.
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) in February 2012 (up to that point, no one knew what the hell was wrong with me. They just knew that something was terribly wrong.) Then, with my physiatrists' and occupation & physical therapists okay, I was allowed to exercise. They all agreed that it couldn't hurt. Well, it didn't just not hurt; it helped. I've been going into remission over the last 6 months or so, and am expected to be in full remission by November/December. Hooray!

This is amazing!! My 17 year old niece has CRPS and just went to a clinic in Ohio to help with PT. She is not too badly overweight but hopefully I healthier lifestyle will help her ease a lot of her symptoms!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is also in the low 50's, blood pressure is normal, cholesterol levels are all optimal (except LDL was 109, which is close enough to optimal for me), and haven't used my CPAP in at least a month.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol is normal. I am completely free of blood pressure medication and have excellent blood pressure now. My doctor was so excited at my last physical. :smile:
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    No more blood pressure medication!
  • misssalem
    misssalem Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No more heartburn. Not crewing Tums like they were candy, anymore.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    No longer diabetic, no longer have high blood pressure, and I'm able to do things I haven't been able to do for years, like play racquetball for almost 2 hours.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My A1C has gone from 6.5 (diabetic) to 5.6 (high normal) and is still sinking. My self confidence has improved greatly. I have much more fun with my son because I can now ride bikes and hike with him. I don't snore anymore - something my husband is probably very grateful for! Also no more heartburn and I can shop in "normal" stores for clothing.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I don't even know where to begin.

I think above all, my weight loss greatly helped my mental health. Not quite in the "it cured my depression" kind of way, but it really helped me understand the idea of delayed gratification, proper eating habits, thinking positively, and accepting my mistakes. Before, I was always super down on myself if I failed to make a deadline or ate "badly." Now, I just take things in as they come. The idea of everything being a process has really helped my thinking.

As for physical benefits, I can now walk for days! I love to explore and see sights, so it's nice having the endurance to do that, now. I can join random activities or games without worrying too much about hurting myself or tiring out. My heart rate is now in the high 50s/low 60s and my blood pressure is lower. I also get better sleep now.

The past 6 months of losing weight and getting my health in check has seriously done wonders and taught me a lot.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This is amazing!! My 17 year old niece has CRPS and just went to a clinic in Ohio to help with PT. She is not too badly overweight but hopefully I healthier lifestyle will help her ease a lot of her symptoms!

Mine started in my arm but it's now confined to my hand. I need to wear a compression glove (especially on those damp chilly days), but my swelling is practically gone, and I've been pain-free for the past few months. Because it was in my hand, I've been able to run & walk.

Let your niece know that though remission is rare, it IS possible, and diet & exercise - if she's able - have done wonders for me. Also let her know that someone out there understands.
  • mrseveland
    mrseveland Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120lbs so far (40 to go) and with it I've lost my sleep apnea/snoring, severely high triglycerides, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes (I'll always be considered diabetic but it's controlled without meds now), bladder leakage, rotten attitude and self-loathing. Healthy life feels so GOOD!
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more stamina at my fast paced job. I used to get exhausted at a six hour shift and now I can bust a ten hour shift like it's nothing. Also my sex drive went from nonexistent to what it was like my teenage years. Loving it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!