Replies

• kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Best books I have read over the last few years that come to mind RIGHT NOW....

Time Travelers Wife (WAY better than the stupid movie)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (funny name - fabulous can't put down book)

Both are fabulous books!

I read Guernsey as well & it was fantastic!

Is it the one about Guernsey during the occupation? I have heard of it but could not remember the name
  • bjgdal
    bjgdal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! I've read a lot of these and there's a lot of good suggestions. I'll second "The Secret Life of Bees" and add Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Actually, I've enjoyed everything I've read by Follett but he does mostly historical fiction based on fact so if you're not into that you won't like them. They ARE long and sometimes tedious to get through.

I've wondered about The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo...that's going on my list now!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge book nut. I take a reading challenge each year. Thus far, in 2010, I've read 72 books for a grand total of about 29,000 pages of the written word. I'm always looking for suggestions on good books to pick up.

Without a doubt, the best place to get suggestions on books is to check out goodreads.com. It is an amazing social networking site for avid readers. It makes recommendations based on your book lists, and there are hundreds of groups to join that can also make suggestions. If you really want to fine-tune your suggestions, it's the best site I've found (also tried librarything, shelfari, and a few others).

Oh - and a lot of authors post on goodreads about their progress writing their books, so you can easily keep track of when your favorite authors are releasing new books.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for the idea of web book list sites, awesome!:flowerforyou:
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm a book lover too and now have some suggestions to follow up on! A colleague at work has talked about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series - says he can't put them down!

I just ordered Portia De Rossi's memoir Unbearable Lightness about her self-esteem and body image challenges (anorexia). You can preview a few pages on amazon.ca and it looks very good. Can't wait.

I'm in love with the Outlander series too but don't read a whole lot of fiction - mostly memoirs and non-fiction of various subjects. I do enjoy the occassional novel though for sure.

Happy Reading!