I'm confused about coffee

Options
:smile:

So, I am wondering what the truth is about COFFEE

Is it really an addictive drug? I actually found that coffee was making me anxious so I quit drinking it last week. I haven't been totally caffeine free as I've two cups of tea and plenty of chocolate in the past week. However, I am constipated, the first few days after I quit my muscles really ached and I felt quite "down" for a few days. I seem to be in better spirits now but I still feel tired. I'm not sure yet if I am sleeping better.

I love coffee. I love the flavour. I really like it with Lite Vitasoy Soy Milk - and because of that I was drinking way to much soy milk. I don't like black coffee and the soy milk sweetens the flavour a little. I felt that quitting coffee altogether would be better for my health in general as I would be eliminating that stimulant from my diet, I understand that coffee is very acidic, I've read that it is a "drug" and I was consuming too many calories with all the soy milk (Im now eating too much chocolate so i need to knock that on the head next... one thing at a time.)

Based on my post,. does anyone here have an opinion or advice on COFFEE? Is it bad or not?!

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    As a hard core coffee drinker, I'd say that I would like to quit for good.

If you can deal with it, try decaffeinated. Some decafs taste just as good as regular. I know that caffeine affects menstrual pain. I know that lots of low grade coffee can affect things like fibroids. I know it messes with my sleep pattern.

I barely notice the jittery effects anymore because I drink so much adn I've always been regular so that doesn't change. But it stains your teeth and gives you bad breath too.

But it's damn good, ain't it?
  • Diva_79
    Diva_79 Posts: 66
    Options
    I know it messes with my sleep pattern. ............. But it stains your teeth and gives you bad breath too.

But it's damn good, ain't it?

Yes it is DAMN Good!! Love the flavour... good point about the breath! I just realised! I don't have bad breath anymore!!! YES!!!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    One week it's good for you, the next week it's bad. Either way they can pry my coffee mug out of my cold dead hands.

How much were you drinking a day when you quit?
  • cottonta1l
    cottonta1l Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drink decaff because coffee makes me feel terrible but I love the taste so I don't want to give it up completely. Try that? :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, yes, caffeine is addictive. Personally I love coffee. My life would not go on without it. I do not drink soda at all and rarely will have tea so I do not consume caffeine elsewhere in my diet. I limit myself (usually) to one cup a day, every now and again 2 if I really need it. Basically my point is I make it work for me and my needs. Good for you for trying to back off of it. Everything that you said about acidity and it being better for your overall health to eliminate it is true. You'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands before I give it up. My advice is to do what feels best for you. I think that once your body gets used to not having constant caffeine the tiredness will subside. As for regularity, add more fiber to your diet, and see if that helps.

downing my delicious Starbucks as I type. :)
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I find I only get bad breath if I have coffee with milk and sugar. Coffee breath went away when I started drinking it black. :P

I'm having my morning cup right now. I need it when I get up in the morning or I'm not very pleasant.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    the truth is that it's delicious and keeps me from being stabby in the morning.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and there's published crap stating it's terrible for you and that's it good for you. I like mine black, especially french press OMG- but I won't turn down frou frou coffee drinks (well now that I'm trying to lose weight I am... but I like them!

I have about one cup 5 or 6 days a week and sometimes 2 cups. I like the little burst in the morning and I like that it's cheap and no calories. I finished a course of 14 days of nexium last week and I missed my coffee like an SOB.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Caffeine can be addicting, sugar can be addicting, alcohol and drugs can be addicting. It all really depends on YOU as a person.

If drinking it doesn't make you feel well- then stop. If you can have one cup a day and be fine with that, then go down that path.

For me personally, I have one 8 oz serving of coffee a day with soy milk during the week. I rarely drink coffee on the weekends.

I do personally hate when anyone labels a food as "bad'. Yes, there are things that are not great for you- but quite honestly everything from the water we drink to the air we breathe is going to kill us in some way. As long as you are taking care of what makes you feel best, that's the best any of us can do.
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking coffee for the first time ever about 3 weeks ago. I always hated the taste before, but something changed (may be because I cut so much sugar out of my diet this year and things I used to consider bitter taste ok to me now). Anyway, with changing my diet, I started suffering some digestive problems- I think because I have such a low-fat diet nowadays. Coffee seems to make a huge difference in sorting out my, uh, irregularity though, and seems to be the only thing that does. Plus I swear it has some appetite suppressing power for me. Anyway, coming from someone who never drank it before, I feel like it's only been a benefit to me. That said, I only drink it with skim milk/occasional sugar free sweeteners, so it's never a high calorie thing for me.
  • Diva_79
    Options
    About 2 cups, any more than that I would go psycho... I'm really sensitive to stimulants, but I'm missing that boost of energy
  • Diva_79
    Options
    One week it's good for you, the next week it's bad. Either way they can pry my coffee mug out of my cold dead hands.

About 2 cups, any more than that I would go psycho... I'm really sensitive to stimulants, but I'm missing that boost of energy
  • Diva_79
    Options
    I drink decaff because coffee makes me feel terrible but I love the taste so I don't want to give it up completely. Try that? :)

I'm also concerned about the amount of soy milk I was consuming as I don't like unsweetened coffee and I enjoyed it with soy... perhaps there is a question in my mind regarding soy too...... i think i read too much on the internet sometimes and i get very confused
  • Diva_79
    Options
    To answer your question, yes, caffeine is addictive. Personally I love coffee. My life would not go on without it. I do not drink soda at all and rarely will have tea so I do not consume caffeine elsewhere in my diet. I limit myself (usually) to one cup a day, every now and again 2 if I really need it. Basically my point is I make it work for me and my needs. Good for you for trying to back off of it. Everything that you said about acidity and it being better for your overall health to eliminate it is true. You'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands before I give it up. My advice is to do what feels best for you. I think that once your body gets used to not having constant caffeine the tiredness will subside. As for regularity, add more fiber to your diet, and see if that helps.

downing my delicious Starbucks as I type. :)

I do miss the morning coffee!! It's funny, when I was drinking that one cup I would wake up and the first thing that would come to mind is COFFEE!! I will try the extra fibre, thanks for the suggestion :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

You could try half caff.
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Coffee is very addictive. My bare minimum is 2 cups in the morning and another cup at night after work. Any less than that and I get so tired I can't stay awake and I get severe migraines. The first time I ever got one of the migraines they were going to put me in the hospital because the doctors thought I had a brain tumor. I had been 3 days without coffee (first day I just didn't have a cup, after that I was too sick). The day I was supposed to go in I felt a little better so I had a cup of coffee. Within minutes the migraine was gone.

I do love my coffee though so even without the migraines there's no way I'd give it up.
  • Diva_79
    Options

For me personally, I have one 8 oz serving of coffee a day with soy milk during the week. I rarely drink coffee on the weekends.

I found your post really helpful. Do you use water and soy in your coffee or is that 8oz soy milk? I was concerned about the amount of soy i was drinking as I was drinking 1-2 cups of 10oz of lite soy milk and 2 teaspoons of coffee per 10oz.... (did that make sense? hehe) anyway, I think it was upping my calorie count, and I was concerned about all that soy! I don't like my coffee any other way.....
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is potentially addictive, in that your body does get used to it and if you stop it suddenly you may experience withdrawal effects. The very very small amount that's typically found in tea and chocolate (especially if it's milk chocolate) wouldn't be enough to affect any but the MOST sensitive individuals.

However, there's no reason to stop drinking it unless you really WANT to. Yes, you have to be aware of the calories in whatever you add to it, but you can either cut that down by using less or reduced calorie versions of what you typically use (or drink it black), or you can just work it into your day, or whatever combination of that suits you.

Large amounts of coffee may affect your sleep, and if you have certain underlying medical conditions it might not be a good choice for you. However, studies have actually found tons of health BENEFITS of coffee - it can potentially protect against Parkinson's, liver disease, type 2 diabetes, depression, dementia and certain cardiovascular issues, and it can improve your brain function. Coffee is also the number 1 source of antioxidants in the American diet. 2-6 8oz cups per day seems to be the sweet spot for health benefits.

Plus, it freaking tastes good.

If you just don't want to drink it any more, don't. If you've found PERSONAL evidence that coffee negatively affects YOU (including knowledge of certain medical issues - check with your doctor), then don't drink it. If you've found that you can't control the calories you put into your coffee in such a way that you aren't able to fit it into your day, then don't drink it. But don't stop if you'd prefer not to just because of some perceived health benefit of not drinking coffee, because that just isn't the scientific evidence.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I love coffee. I am never quiting it. I have given up everything else but never take my coffee. I have thought of using decaffeinated kind because after three cups I get nauseated and dizzy but its so yummy. I use splenda and a nondairy creamer in mine. I have cut down to only one splenda and one tsp of creamer. so its only ten extra calories per cup. Good for you for quitting something. I think anything in moderation is okay for me anyways. :drinker:
  • Diva_79
    Options
    Coffee seems to make a huge difference in sorting out my, uh, irregularity though, and seems to be the only thing that does. Plus I swear it has some appetite suppressing power for me.

It was helping me with my irregularity too! now the irregularity is back again WITH A VENGEANCE! I need more fibre I think oh man. Interesting that you say it is an appetite suppressant... I have been eating more since I quit coffee last week, mind you I've been eating more since I quit smoking 2 months ago..... lots of BIG changes.......