Stop Buying Bottled Water

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I buy and use bottled water exclusively - it's the only water I'll actually drink. My tap water is disgusting and the water that is filtered in my fridge isn't much better (and yes, I've done a blind taste test with the three for my husband because he didn't believe that I could tell the difference).

If I want to "waste" money - that's my prerogative. It's the only way I'll actually drink water, so I don't see it as a waste at all. We recycle the bottles, and I love having water on me at all times (in my purse).

So no, I won't stop buying bottled water. And if someone wants to judge me for it, I think it says a lot more about them than it does me.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but all the filters in the world aren't going to help the water here. Thanks for the advice, but I'll keep buying bottled. I get a pack of 8 2-liter bottles for 4.2 Tunisian Dinars. That's around $2.75 for 16 liters of delicious water.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I filter my water because I don't want to contribute to the landfill. I had some pretty high levels of lead in my bloodstream from my days of living in DC. The city contracted out the removal of lead pipes and never inspected the work. Decades later they found those same lead pipes were still servicing the people. DC's local gov is a cesspool of corruption and no one was ever charged with any crime.

I live in a better part of town now and I have no problems drinking tap water here. When I work in DC, I buy bottled water. Do what you think is best.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Buying a fridge/ freezer with a filtered water system; water is from the tap, has replaced the need for pop and cordials in our house!
    Kids love it! Feels healthier! I drink water from the tap, buy bottled water, if out and thirsty, and like the filtered water,
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper than cigars.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Penn & Teller explanation about bottled water :bigsmile:

http://youtu.be/MHx6BX3HZJc
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'll just drink beer, thanks.
    eed1d-hyomint-arathethousandthmandrinkingbeergif252822529.gif?w=245&h=197
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    Our tap water is so bad it will take more than a filter to make it drinkable. Haven't sprung for a reverse osmosis system yet. I think that's about the only thing that could make it drinkable.
  • Arachnapheria
    Arachnapheria Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I buy it and will continue to do so if for no other reason than the convenience.
    I go through about 1 case a week, sometimes a bit more and at $4.00 a case it really isn't a big deal.

if you're worried about wasting money how about those stogies that you're smoking, talk about burning through $$$! :bigsmile:

Wow, I can imagine how much easier it is to get in your car, drive to the store, pick up a couple of crates, pay for them, pack them in your car, and dive home than it is to turn on your tap and fill up a filter jug or reusable bottle. FML!

Oh by the way. The reason not to buy bottled water if you live somewhere that has safe tap water isn't about cost.... well, monetary cost anyway. It's about the huge amount of waste from the bottles (no matter what you've been told, plastic bottles are not sustainable). It's about the natural springs that don't feed into rivers because the water is being removed before it gets that far. It's about the fact that *some* bottled water is actually bad for you, the safty standard of bottled water is LOWER than that of tap water in many places. The final reason is the energy cost. Bottled water production in the United States used the energy equivalent of 32 and 54 million barrels of oil to produce and transport plastic water bottles in 2007.

But if you are the type of american that the rest of the world steriotypes you as (lazy, self centred, selfish, and stupid) then you carry on. After all, some people do just like to watch the world burn.

http://www.onlineeducation.net/bottled_water
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    I'll just drink beer, thanks.
    eed1d-hyomint-arathethousandthmandrinkingbeergif252822529.gif?w=245&h=197

I brew my own beer. That takes a bit of bottled water. :smile:
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Since most bottled water is tap water, it's pretty crazy that this even has to be said. But..well...people.

Most bottled water is "filtered" tap water. It is not run straight from the garden hose into the bottles. They filter it first. Somoe bottled "Spring Water" is not actually filtered though....it is bottled just as it comes out of the earth.

Tap water is already filtered.

It is filtered through a screen to remove sediment and particles...but not through a true filter to remove odors and impurities. Not where i come from anyway.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    And just because I feel the need to further defend myself - I can drink the water at my parents and in-laws houses (they live in different cities). It's just my water that I don't like.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Our city water is effing gross. My Kuerig lights up the water tank when it's turned on and adding water from the tap you can see **** floating it it. It looks like pale, white colored fish food flakes. I've started buying gallon jugs of distilled water for it now.

I also am a freak about bottle water that has been opened for a few days. I know it shouldn't go bad, but after a few days it starts to get bubbles that stick to the inside of the bottle so I am convinced it's gone bad.

Signs_6.jpg
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The only water that doesn't taste gross to me is the distilled water we get for 99c/gallon. So at least it's a large bottle of super-cheap stuff. ;)
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Our city water tastes like Chemicals and is NASTY right from the tap - THAT being said though I do have a Brita Pitcher (2-Gal thing my parents bought me) that filters that chemical taste right out of my water and it's fine.

I only buy (1) bottle of water a week and that's at our favorite Pizza place because the other option is Tap water (see above).

I fill two containers w/water before I leave for work in the morning because at work we have this Culligan system that just doesn't get the chemical taste out of the water enough for my liking.

I love my 2-Gal Brita pitcher in the fridge, we always have ice cold water right on hand when we want it!

The bottled water was just an excessive expense I couldn't justify any longer, so we switched over 100%!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    We have a reverse osmosis filter (as well as a water softening system) and it makes a world of difference in the taste of our tap water. I send my kids to school with a Camelback or similar reusable bottle, and bring the same to the gym for myself. I do usually have a supply of bottled water on hand for emergencies, and will buy a bottle of water if I am out and about, but at home, it's always filtered tap water.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • suzreen
    suzreen Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    In Asia we have "tanks" at home where you store water since the government releases water periodically. A friend of mine found out his tank had a dead cat in it and had been there for about a week at least.

No thanks. I even cook my food with bottled water. And I am being 100% serious.

But how do you know the bottled water source doesn't have a dead cat in it? I don't see how you can feel so much more sure about bottled water than tap water.... :)
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    True story.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    You're not the boss of me !!! :grumble: :

I'm not trying to be bossy. I read this today and posted it. Food for thought.