Stop Buying Bottled Water

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper than cigars.
    True story.

I don't rehydrate with cigars. Cigars are just a nasty habit that I like and some people don't. I know cigars are not healthy, but neither is trying to take them from me.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water. Dr. Oz says that it's bad for you.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Re-filling 1 gallon and 5 gallon jugs creates almost zero waste in landfills.

I only replace them once every few years.

Then I pour the water from my big jugs into my stainless water bottles or a glass.

If I had to live off tap I could, if I boiled it, let it set etc.. etc.. etc..

But it's 2014, I have a full time job and run multiple groups, and barely have time for cooking

much less water prep.

ETA I make coffee and tea and cook with tap water, that doesn't bother me. But just having water only, I like the smooth soft flavor of the bottled water that comes from the big machines around town more than tap.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Portland, OR, and good lord -- you people have the best tasting tap water I've ever had! Step your game up, Houston...

I live in Portland. I guess that's why I have no problem with Tap water.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper than cigars.
    True story.

I don't rehydrate with cigars. Cigars are just a nasty habit that I like and some people don't. I know cigars are not healthy, but neither is trying to take them from me.

They also smell better than Florida tap water
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lm832jFZZ81qii6tmo1_400.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. The tap water is awful. I can buy a gallon of Sam's Club water for 50 cents. That is cheaper than filters and the filtered water still is barely drinkable here, anyway.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

But if you are the type of american that the rest of the world steriotypes you as (lazy, self centred, selfish, and stupid) then you carry on. After all, some people do just like to watch the world burn.

http://www.onlineeducation.net/bottled_water

Only a couple pages before the "selfish America" name calling began. LOL.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oh wow.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    But if you are the type of american that the rest of the world steriotypes you as (lazy, self centred, selfish, and stupid) then you carry on. After all, some people do just like to watch the world burn.

Self-loathing American on a soapbox alert! Take cover and hide your bottled water, all of you lazy, self-centered, selfish, and stupid Yanks...sigh...
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sorry Road Dog... I have to :-) if i dont keep a case as my desk.. I won't drink near what I'm supposed to in a day!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

http://www.onlineeducation.net/bottled_water

Only a couple pages before the "selfish America" name calling began. LOL.
    It's far lazier to drink tap water than to lug around cases of bottled water. So, Americans drinking bottled water are far less lazy than the rest of the world taking the easy way out by just turning on a tap.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Re-filling 1 gallon and 5 gallon jugs creates almost zero waste in landfills.

I only replace them once every few years.

Then I pour the water from my big jugs into my stainless water bottles or a glass.

If I had to live off tap I could, if I boiled it, let it set etc.. etc.. etc..

But it's 2014, I have a full time job and run multiple groups, and barely have time for cooking

much less water prep.

ETA I make coffee and tea and cook with tap water, that doesn't bother me. But just having water only, I like the smooth soft flavor of the bottled water that comes from the big machines around town more than tap.

A great compromise! I used to do just what you are until I was convinced that there was no more threat of crypto. The tap water is very hard and is treated with chlorine and chloramine but it does taste good filtered through my Pur.. I fill a gallon jug to top off my aquariums and let it sit to allow the chlorine to dissipate before using. I do treat larger quantities when doing water changes.

eta: I also buy citric acid in 5 lb. packages to descale things like my tea kettle and faucets.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Self-loathing American on a soapbox alert! Take cover and hide your bottled water, all of you lazy, self-centered, selfish, and stupid Yanks...sigh...

meh, I've visited plenty of places where I've been treated like gold because I'm American. I found that just as silly as being treated like **** just because I'm American. It seems that people all over the world make snap judgments based on very little information.
  • Nathanmmx
    Nathanmmx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I buy bottled water on the way when I am going to dinner with friends, means I get two extra cups and may eat just a little less at dinner too which are both not bad things :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Since most bottled water is tap water, it's pretty crazy that this even has to be said. But..well...people.

Then I wish I knew how they filter it because it doesn't taste the same when filtered by me!

Taste can be subjective. If you think you're drinking something of higher quality you'll believe that's so.

I remember watching a show where people were convinced they were drinking "gourmet" water that came from pure springs and was filtered multiple times by the best purification systems. They went on and on about how pure and clean it tasted, they later found out they were drinking water that had come straight from a hose.
    Yeah, I believe that was Penn & Teller's Showtime show "BS". Most people don't realize that the cost they pay for a bottle of water is about equal to 1000 gallons of tap water. Bottled water is a huge money maker.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    In Asia we have "tanks" at home where you store water since the government releases water periodically. A friend of mine found out his tank had a dead cat in it and had been there for about a week at least.

No thanks. I even cook my food with bottled water. And I am being 100% serious.
    :sick:
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Since most bottled water is tap water, it's pretty crazy that this even has to be said. But..well...people.

So true! I remember when Poland Springs was called out for using tap water!

I only drink bottled water if I'm out and about and I'm thirsty and I want water or when I buy seltzer water. The rest of the time it's tap water. We have a well and the water is triple filtered and tastes better than the bottled kind.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

meh, I've visited plenty of places where I've been treated like gold because I'm American. I found that just as silly as being treated like **** just because I'm American. It seems that people all over the world make snap judgments based on very little information.

I have traveled extensively in Europe and Asia and I have found that most individuals don't treat me any different because I am American. I HAVE had to correct some misconceptions that they received from their local or government news media though.