Replies

• adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    subbing
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you have a video of someone doing this? I would like to see it. :)
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I love Tabata! We do them at my gym for a good 30 minute workout! I'm normally drenched in sweat when I am done and burn a good 500 calories..... that's alot more effective than walking the treadmill for 30 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    My trainer does Tabata workouts with me, as I already get my cardio and weight training done on my own the rest of the week. I LOVE it! An example of the one we did last week:

Each individual exercise is done for 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, then on to the next one.
    1 - 2 minute rest in between each "round" of exercises.
    We do 4 - 8 rounds depending on how much I can handle. :)

-Clean lifts, 20lb bar
    -Rope (the big rope you see on Biggest Loser)
    -Push ups
    -6.0 mph sprint on treadmill

Sometimes he'll throw in tire flips, sledgehammer swings, etc. Anything I can do continuously for 20 seconds non-stop.
    This is actually HIIT and not Tabata. Tabata is 100% balls to the wall effort on the exercises. If you aren't practically DEAD from exhaustion in 4 minutes, then you didn't do Tabata.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I love Tabata! We do them at my gym for a good 30 minute workout! I'm normally drenched in sweat when I am done and burn a good 500 calories..... that's alot more effective than walking the treadmill for 30 minutes.
    Doing HIIT here and not Tabata.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I went to a course the other day and the instructor was pronouncing it ta-tar-ta training. It was quite frustrating as I actually speak a bit of japanese :tongue: But clearly, the teacher knew more than me about the training protocol just couldn't pronounce the word properly.
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Someone asked for an example Tabata workout:

After overhead squatting, we did Tabata X 4
    (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off - 8 rounds of this for EACH of the following):
    -Air Squats
    -Jumping Air Squats
    -Lunges
    -Jumping Lunges

We rested for about 60-90 seconds between each exercise. (When I record this, I write down my lowest number I got on any round).

As someone else asked about, I don't do this to replace a workout or solely do Tabata. Sort of an "in addition to", and after lifting.
    (Please feel free to correct me if this isn't officially what Tabata is!)
    Yup, I do this once a week at my gym, an entire class! It is killer, but I KNOW I've done my job by the time class is over, and the time flies by!
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My trainer does Tabata workouts with me, as I already get my cardio and weight training done on my own the rest of the week. I LOVE it! An example of the one we did last week:

Each individual exercise is done for 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, then on to the next one.

-Clean lifts, 20lb bar
    -Push ups

Sometimes he'll throw in tire flips, sledgehammer swings, etc. Anything I can do continuously for 20 seconds non-stop.
    This is actually HIIT and not Tabata. Tabata is 100% balls to the wall effort on the exercises. If you aren't practically DEAD from exhaustion in 4 minutes, then you didn't do Tabata.

IDEA Fitness member

I am practically dead after each round. Which is why we go 4 - 8 rounds...depending on how much I can handle that day.
    It porbably is a little more HIIT than Tabata, using the Tabata format, I guess.
    But it's a damn good workout!
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Doing HIIT here and not Tabata.

IDEA Fitness member

Okay. great. I love HIIT. Ya no me importa!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

-Clean lifts, 20lb bar
    -Push ups

IDEA Fitness member

I am practically dead after each round. Which is why we go 4 - 8 rounds...depending on how much I can handle that day.
    It porbably is a little more HIIT than Tabata, using the Tabata format, I guess.
    But it's a damn good workout!
    I'm sure you're killing it each round. Super hard HIIT (which sounds like what you're doing) with multiple rounds ain't no walk in the park and not many can actual do it. So good job!

IDEA Fitness member
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Just completed my first Tabata Bootcamp class this morning by a Tabata Bootcamp certified instructor (official website: http://www.tabatabootcamp.com/). KILLER workout. I was dead at the end - from head to toes. Definitely a full body workout experience. Class was at 9 am. I managed until 2 pm and then took a 2 hour nap ... Ugh. I am now awake and logged in to my MPF account for the day. Almost wished I hadn't taken the nap because I woke up SO SORE! Hey, can't wait to go again ... may have found my new favorite workout. Definitely not a daily thing because it is very intense and body needs recover time, but think it is going to be a great way to create some interesting variation during my workout week.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just completed my first Tabata Bootcamp class this morning by a Tabata Bootcamp certified instructor (official website: http://www.tabatabootcamp.com/). KILLER workout. I was dead at the end - from head to toes. Definitely a full body workout experience. Class was at 9 am. I managed until 2 pm and then took a 2 hour nap ... Ugh. I am now awake and logged in to my MPF account for the day. Almost wished I hadn't taken the nap because I woke up SO SORE! Hey, can't wait to go again ... may have found my new favorite workout. Definitely not a daily thing because it is very intense and body needs recover time, but think it is going to be a great way to create some interesting variation during my workout week.
    So the class was, let's say 5 minutes for warm up, 9 minutes long then? Cause it not, then it's HIIT training and not Tabata.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i do Tabata sprints sometimes...talk about freaking brutal ..you would think that 20 seconds is not that long to sprint..until you hit sprint number three and the timer has not gone off and you are already gassed....

Like some others have said, I would not replace them with a whole workout but they are great to mix in on HIIT work or end of weight training...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you did Tabata for five hours?????? How are you still alive?

No offense, but I think your "tabata bootcamp" is a tabata scam...

It may be regular bootcamp, but no way you are doing tabata for five hours...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i do Tabata sprints sometimes...talk about freaking brutal ..you would think that 20 seconds is not that long to sprint..until you hit sprint number three and the timer has not gone off and you are already gassed....

Like some others have said, I would not replace them with a whole workout but they are great to mix in on HIIT work or end of weight training...
    If you're gassed by 3 then you're doing it right! When I instruct Tabata, it's always at 5 minutes before the end of class. Do they all put out 100%? I doubt it, although there is one guy who seems to give it 100% on every round because he ends up on his knees after the 3 round and every round till 8.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I checked the site she mentioned. It's "Tabata like" (HIIT) training with their conceptual (LOL) 20 second "microburst" training with 10 seconds rest.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • mamacoates
    Options
    So the class was, let's say 5 minutes for warm up, 9 minutes long then? Cause it not, then it's HIIT training and not Tabata.

IDEA Fitness member

You have been arguing your point all the way through this thread. I am stating what I attended, what it was called, where it is initiated through and what I liked about it. If this is your soapbox, you should take it up with the organizations all across the country that are using the term. From reading this thread, Tabata is the guy who discovered some info through scientific research. Now folks are patterning their activity around his research. Great compliment to him, in my book. It is the same as people who refer to the Xerox machine at work when it is actually a copier made by a different company. I wonder if you use "Saran Wap" at home? Doesn't everyone know it's not Saran Wrap? It's plastic wrap.

Respectfully Submitted ... Mama C.
  • mamacoates
    Options

No silly, it was a 9 am class - 50 minutes long, stacking different Tabata cycles for different parts of the body, using different weights, cardio, exercise ball, etc for strength training, cardio and core work. When the class was over, I was exhausted and dripping in sweat, but managed through my day until 2 pm when I hit my front door, at which point the nap ensued ...

Anecdote: For those of us who WERE going all out with each cycle, I did not see anyone in the room who made it through all 8 periods of each exercise cycle. But since "NinerBuff" didn't teach it, I am sure it wasn't the real thing and just a knock off ... its okay though. I am so sore today - from head to toes - that I know it was a "kick-your-butt" work out that I will go back to again and again.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Zombie thread!

It's good to know that this nonsense has been going on for a while. In the UK, they've just been taken up by one of the largest chain gyms here.
    I have taken it up with them, asked them for evidence and reported them to a charity that asks for back up for scientific claims in the media.

We will see a huge change if trading standards ever decide to get involved with anything in the fitness industry.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You have been arguing your point all the way through this thread. I am stating what I attended, what it was called, where it is initiated through and what I liked about it. If this is your soapbox, you should take it up with the organizations all across the country that are using the term. From reading this thread, Tabata is the guy who discovered some info through scientific research. Now folks are patterning their activity around his research. Great compliment to him, in my book. It is the same as people who refer to the Xerox machine at work when it is actually a copier made by a different company. I wonder if you use "Saran Wap" at home? Doesn't everyone know it's not Saran Wrap? It's plastic wrap.

Respectfully Submitted ... Mama C.
    Not arguing, but correcting misinformation. It's actually more of an insult IMO to Mr. Tabata, to refer a 50 minute "HIIT" class (which is also acknowledged by the site you mentioned) as his actual protocol. He specifically designed the protocol for Olympic speed skaters to help increase VO2 max. We're speaking of 170% of VO2 max which is the highest amount of oxygen that the body burn and use for energy. That's why it's ONLY 4 minutes long. If the athletes weren't reaching that level, then the protocol wasn't performed correctly. Why the protocol? It was designed to improve the performance of the skaters.
    The majority of so called Tabata workouts are watered down versions of HIIT training which is why attendees can do 50 minutes worth of it. You may work and sweat hard, but it's NOT the same as Tabata protocol.
    Semantics? To you it may be, but I believe it's important to pass on correct information to those that really want to know about it.

IDEA Fitness member