Any Other Women Going Through the Dreaded "Change?"

2»

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    I am turning 50 next April and I am taking the pill now to deal with the symptoms. It changed my life!
    Stef.
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    I am turning 50 next April and I am taking the pill now to deal with the symptoms. It changed my life!
    Stef.
    That's interesting that you're on the pill for menopause. I was planning to do that myself, as the gynie nurse practitioner put me on Yaz years ago when I started having perimenopause symptoms. It helped a lot, but when I got a new doctor about a year ago, his NP freaked out and said no one my age should be on BC. Granted, I have a family history of stoke/heart attack, but the previous doctor knew it. I'm currently not taking anything. At the time I got on Yaz, I was considering taking a supplement with black cohosh but the NP said, "Why do that when you can just take the pill?"
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    My understanding here is that the BC pill is not recomended for women over 50 (if they still need contraception)

Fortunately for me I had a tubal ligation at age 37 so I havent had to worry about that for quite a while.

I would be reluctant to take it for menopause symptoms myself - wouldnt it be better to take a specific HRT product designed for menopause, if you need anything like that?
  • Oh my gosh!! I am 46 years old and these dang hot flashes are a killer! packed on 20 lbs that I am finding SO dang hard t shed. Need support and motivation!
  • suz4short
    suz4short Posts: 2 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend here! I'm the oldest of 5 siblings (4 girls) and I think the youngest to get the period and last to go through mp! lol.... Caffeine is bad for hot flashes too btw! :/ Love my coffee!
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Zits along the jawline and chin are from hormones! UGHHH.... over the counter creams don't work. All they do is leave bleach spots on my sheets and towels! Mine are big, red and they hurt. I think I have a permanent scar on my face where one keeps popping up in the same place! Oh, and speaking of popping....you can't.
    What is it about the chin? That's where my current zit is too!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Perimenopause started for me in my early 30s, although at the time I didn't realize that was what was going on. I am almost 43 now, still got those cycles albeit a little less regularly, but I can feel other things are changing.

It will be interesting to see what effect weight loss has on the situation, since I believe fat contributes to estrogen levels.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    My understanding here is that the BC pill is not recomended for women over 50 (if they still need contraception)

Fortunately for me I had a tubal ligation at age 37 so I havent had to worry about that for quite a while.

I would be reluctant to take it for menopause symptoms myself - wouldnt it be better to take a specific HRT product designed for menopause, if you need anything like that?

My doctor here in Canada us absolutely fine with me taking the BC pill. Frankly, my worst symptoms were mood swings and memory losses. For me the pill is perfect.
    Stef.
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    My doctor here in Canada us absolutely fine with me taking the BC pill. Frankly, my worst symptoms were mood swings and memory losses. For me the pill is perfect.
    Stef.
    It helped me a lot with mood swings and hot flashes, and it also lightened my extremely heavy periods and cut back a lot on the cramps. I actually took it for a while in my younger years for those latter reasons, although a different one than Yaz. The vicious cramps and bleeding are back now, and I'm back to hot flashes and weird little bouts of anxiety where there's nothing to be anxious about, and i know it full well, but it just pops up anyway. It's tolerable for now, but I'll look into treatment if it gets worse. The new NP just seems to be really leery of BC pills in general for older women and Yaz in particular.