• Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love this post. awesome!
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats!

Your next step: Quit calling it "jogging" and OWN IT for what it really is: "running".

You'll notice in this thread that those of us who do (or did) run never use the word "jog". We see it as you're either walking or you're running. Even if you're running slowly, it ain't a walk, so it must be a run! :-)

Resist the urge to downplay it: You ran. You are a runner!

Keep up the great work!
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nice one.
  • Niccole5878
    Niccole5878 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too hated running!! I am about the same size and I did suffer from laziness!!! I have had great success with the Couch to 5k program. I am up to running a little over 1/2 mile without stopping! I love the program and highly recommend it.
  • bijouchocolat
    bijouchocolat Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah that's a BIG DEAL!!! CONGRATS!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    This post just makes me happy on so many levels! - Great job OP and keep posting we are all cheering you on! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • B0rnC0nfus3d
    B0rnC0nfus3d Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fab feeling. Well done
  • sethunger
    sethunger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Be very proud of yourself and keep it up. When I first hit the gym a couple years ago, I went to play basketball. I ran down the court and back and then I had to sit out as I couldn't run anymore. Now I can play for an hour and half. You can do it!!! Keep it up!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I could have made this post a few months back. My lungs would be burning after just a few minutes of running. Then I decided to finish a triathlon. I started out slow and added another lap (half mile) each week until I could run for an hour. No more lung burning. I even found I LIKE running *gasp*! Keep it up, you will too!

Congrats!
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success :) Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! And OK I will call it RUNNING not jogging! :)

To those who said they're not there yet - keep at it, you will be. :) I just did it a little at a time with each walk with the dog. Then the next day I'd say "Okay, I went to that pole, let's see if I can make it a few steps past the pole" etc. It works!!! :)
  • loriebahde
    loriebahde Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i can share in this. i have recently began the couch to 5k and i have never be a runner. i have always been lazy when it comes to running. i can now run 3 mins, straight and am looking forward to next week when i will up it to 5 mins. it is about .40 to .50 miles. i hate the thought and love it at the same time. slow and steady wins the race.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Great job, I weigh about the same and let me tell you..9 weeks ago I almost died running 60 secs...i hurt, everything hurt. Today i can run 40-50 minutes NON-STOP...

So keep it up, you will get there. :)
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Great job, I weigh about the same and let me tell you..9 weeks ago I almost died running 60 secs...i hurt, everything hurt. Today i can run 40-50 minutes NON-STOP...

That is inspiring! You really upped your time in a big hurry! Maybe it won't take the rest of my life to be able to run more than a couple of minutes at a time!!!
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! You'll keep on getting better!
    I remember thinking that 3 minutes running was death and I'd never be a runner.
    5 weeks later I completed a 6k.
    The human body is amazing! Remember 90% of the battle is me tala, your legs can carry you as far as you want to go.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options

That is inspiring! You really upped your time in a big hurry! Maybe it won't take the rest of my life to be able to run more than a couple of minutes at a time!!!

No it wont. I only run 3 days a week. I downloaded a "C25k Program" Every other day it will tell me how long to run. I am now working on a 10 k. Im on week 10. Every time I see a run I get overwhelmed and hope I can finish it..then when Im finished Im like holy crap...whats next . lol...So every run I progress . You got it. Just keep doing it!!

Friend me if you need help. Im a work in progress too but i can share what ive learned :)
  • rayray61
    rayray61 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good Job, i can't walk that far !!!!!
  • Chris10_9817
    Chris10_9817 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job! Before you know it you will be at a half mile.
  • eldyn90
    eldyn90 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am obese. I weigh 226 lbs, when my ideal weight range is 114-155. My goal is somewhere between 135-150.

I never liked to run. Even when I was thin - I was never "fit." On mile run day in gym, I would walk it with the "fat girl" (even though I wasn't fat then.) It would usually take me the full class period to do the mile. The gym teacher would be mocking me, but I didn't care. Well now, almost 30 years later I guess the gym teacher has the last laugh - he's still "fit" and now I'm fat. LOL

I've been exercising a lot lately - riding my bike (mountain bike) and doing stuff at the gym, and walking the dog nearly every day. I walk her about 10 miles per week on average.

I've been gradually adding bursts of jogging to my walk with the dog. She's young and can handle it but doesn't like it much, ha ha..she prefers to sniff every leaf and rock...but yesterday I got up to jogging .25 mile non stop without a rest. She tried to stop and sniff but I tugged her along and she came.

I am very proud. I have been on my bike more miles in the past two months than all the miles ridden in my entire life ...and now, I jogged .25 miles.

Yes! I can do this!!!!

Way to go! That is AWESOME!

I can really relate to your story. I was so scared the first time I tried running that far. If running is something you want to stick with just gradually add distance (I followed C25K). I'm now able to go about four miles and I just started trying to run three months ago. One of the best things to remember is that there is no such thing as a bad run.. some are just better than others :smile:

Congrats again on your NSV!!
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am obese. I weigh 226 lbs, when my ideal weight range is 114-155. My goal is somewhere between 135-150.

I never liked to run. Even when I was thin - I was never "fit." On mile run day in gym, I would walk it with the "fat girl" (even though I wasn't fat then.) It would usually take me the full class period to do the mile. The gym teacher would be mocking me, but I didn't care. Well now, almost 30 years later I guess the gym teacher has the last laugh - he's still "fit" and now I'm fat. LOL

I've been exercising a lot lately - riding my bike (mountain bike) and doing stuff at the gym, and walking the dog nearly every day. I walk her about 10 miles per week on average.

I've been gradually adding bursts of jogging to my walk with the dog. She's young and can handle it but doesn't like it much, ha ha..she prefers to sniff every leaf and rock...but yesterday I got up to jogging .25 mile non stop without a rest. She tried to stop and sniff but I tugged her along and she came.

I am very proud. I have been on my bike more miles in the past two months than all the miles ridden in my entire life ...and now, I jogged .25 miles.

Yes! I can do this!!!!

Great job! I ran my first .25 of a mile not that long ago yesterday was my second day of running a full mile after having spent a couple months working up to it. I was just as proud of that .25 as I am of that mile! It gets easier everyday, just don't stop and go a little further every time!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!