A delicate issue....need advice on how to handle

Options

Replies

• LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    She smells every time? I'm not buying it. If she really is though just say something to her or wimp out and ask the instructor to since he/she is the one getting paid. Chances are the woman is somewhat clueless of how bad the issue is. She'll either fix it or be so embarrassed she'll quit. Win win.

I buy it. I once worked with a woman who REEKED every flippin day. Eventually she got fired for stealing to the relief of all of us.

Anyway, there are people out there that don't believe in using deoderant and have no idea how bad they smell.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Omg lmfao I would probably be as nice as possible but this

Apparently I'm the only one who would just come right out and say "please start wearing deoderant or you're going to have to find another workout buddy". *shrug*
  • wonderish
    wonderish Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If it's every time then its a problem, but if it only happens a few times then try to stay away. I have people at work who smell and I just try to stay away... Smells bother me so much. I had to tell my roommate to show this weekend because she smelled lol
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker who smelled straight up sour every single day. I work in a small office and some days it was so bad that I ended up putting a little Vick's vapor rub under my nose. It totally works! That's what medical examiners do when they have to examine gross decomposing bodies to keep from ralphing. :smile:
  • cocorosalie
    cocorosalie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm the only one who would just come right out and say "please start wearing deoderant or you're going to have to find another workout buddy". *shrug*

Totally my fix. I'd probably go to walmart and get the cheapest brand they have and just say "girl, I really love having you as a work out buddy, but I can't keep on if you don't start wearing this" Whip out the deodorant. "I got this for you. Keep it. Use it." Smile really big and change the subject. No harm no foul.
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options
    Does she have a "gym bag"? Slip a polite note into it.
  • Greenbomb
    Greenbomb Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Answers to a few questions: no, she does not smell bad before class, only during. And yes, EVERY time. Really bad- has happened three times now. I'm going to do two things: arrive a little late and get in with another group, and put some perfume on me. But then....I don't want my perfume to bug anyone near me. Crap.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Oh no, the stinky girl. I know of these stinky girls and honestly that's one of my biggest fears with working out in a group. If you happen to meet up right before class throw on another coat of deodorant yourself and maybe that'll trigger her to think about that. My guess is that when she sweats its a mixture of toxins being released though, she could be a smoker, coffee drinker, stinky food eater all these things will come through during a good sweat session and they don't mix well.

Option B - put some vicks vaporub under your nose, you might find that helps kill the scent a bit.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    after boot camp, take her aside with NO ONE ELSE AROUND and very gently, politely tell her.

"Michelle, I really enjoy having you in my groups during boot camp...you're a great motivator and you really get into it...but I noticed that when we arrive in the morning and get into our groups, there is a very strong odor coming from you...I think it is some body odor. I only say this because I really enjoy your company...but this one thing takes away from that. I know if it were me, and I smelled bad, I would want you to say something to me. Please don't be offended."

Of course, make sure you don't say anything along the lines of..."everyone thinks you stink." Or "everyone noticed that..."
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew her well enough to say something, but I don't. I think today I will show up for class a few minutes late after it's already started and join another group. I know it sounds silly, but I really am very sensitive to aromas and this is seriously making me not want to go to class.

This! This is what I would do!!! Run in at the last minute...... I am sensitive to strong smells too.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    after boot camp, take her aside with NO ONE ELSE AROUND and very gently, politely tell her.

"Michelle, I really enjoy having you in my groups during boot camp...you're a great motivator and you really get into it...but I noticed that when we arrive in the morning and get into our groups, there is a very strong odor coming from you...I think it is some body odor. I only say this because I really enjoy your company...but this one thing takes away from that. I know if it were me, and I smelled bad, I would want you to say something to me. Please don't be offended."

Of course, make sure you don't say anything along the lines of..."everyone thinks you stink." Or "everyone noticed that..."

I like this approach. Personally (and I could be wrong, but...) I think that if the smell isn't present beforehand and is THAT offensive, it could be a medical issue that she can't really help.

Either that or she doesn't wash her workout clothes, in which case deodorant won't help.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If she smells THAT bad it's not something deoderant can fix. Did she just start to work out? It could be her diet . What you put into your body reflects in every aspect of your life.
  • decagrog
    decagrog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a kind of skin/health condition that cause the body to emanate intense and unpleasant odor from the body (fecal, feet, armpits odor most of the time). Causes are still unknown.
    Few peoples suffer this condition but if you google "bodyodor + community" or something similar you will able to find a couple of forum where those users gather to talk about their problem, I know a italian one : http://bodyodor.forumcommunity.net/

Those people emit this odor even 1min after the shower and covering with other essences sometime make thing worse... they simply can't do much about it

In conclusion she could be affected by this kind of problem, she's probably not able to smell her odor (even if strong she's accustomed to it) but she's well aware that the other people will react to the odor...even if you don't look into the forums you can try to image what mean the social life to them and how many problem those people have every day.

She probably acknowledged you as a smell-tolerant type so that the reason she try to stay near you during the lesson.

So my suggestion is: bear with it and maybe even ask to her privately if she suffer about this problem...at least she will find you sensible to the problem
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Put some Vick's Vapo-rub under your nose before class starts and just muddle through.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find it interesting the things we allow to get in the way of our fitness.

Smells.
    What happens when discomfort occurs?

Use it as an intensity multiplier and move.com.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I would say the same.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

Totally my fix. I'd probably go to walmart and get the cheapest brand they have and just say "girl, I really love having you as a work out buddy, but I can't keep on if you don't start wearing this" Whip out the deodorant. "I got this for you. Keep it. Use it." Smile really big and change the subject. No harm no foul.

Love this - short, honest, to the point. I like the longer version posted above too.

I'm pretty shy and feel weird about confronting people with personal things like this but you have to think of it this way - if it was you, wouldn't you want someone to tell you? I know I would! Especially if it's super offensive BO! Yes, you'd think she'd notice but smells are funny. You can get used to them and tune them out pretty easily. Or maybe she doesn't have a very good sense of smell?

I was walking behind a woman into the office the other day and saw she had a big white string hanging off the right butt cheek of her black leggings. Thankfully there was no one else walking in so I quietly said "excuse me, you have a piece of lint on your rear". It was awkward but she was SO thankful that I told her. She even had me double check she'd got it when I held the door open for her. LOL! And when I saw her later on the way back from my walk, she said to her friend "hey, that's my new buddy!" :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Try playing ice hockey. Or maybe don't if you're sensitive to smells.

I had a team mate who never aired her kit for a whole season.

I always considered stinky body odour and kit odour to be something that happens when you play sport and that's why you take a shower afterwards.
  • Lou_Darling93
    Options
    Honestly, I'd just politely say that maybe she needs to use some deodorant. What's the worst can happen? She gets mad at you and you don't work out next to her any more? I mean.. hardly a bad thing here.

If it were you, wouldn't you rather someone said it to you nicely than later down the line someone said it in a nasty way?

Just my 2c.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Talk to the instructor. Politely tell them about the problem and ask if they could speak to her discreetly. That way, the woman doesn't know who complained, but the message still gets across and through the proper channels. Besides if it's as bad as you say, I'm sure there are other people who are wondering how to broach the subject as well.