Options
    Not done on the Foreman

IMG_20140413_165021_-2094713745.jpg
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    While we are on the subject you should also:

o let steak come to room temp before cooking

o only season with kosher/sea salt and fresh ground pepper.This is what creates your "crust"

o don't poke or prod it with anything. You can check doneness by pushing against the meat with your finger.

Yup.
    I also use this, http://www.marcussamuelsson.com/tips-2/marcuss-tip-how-to-test-your-meat-and-steak
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    How long for medium rare? They are one inch thick steaks.

Idk, cook for two min and cut into them and go from there

This post made me sad.

Never cut into a steak while still cooking to check doneness. This will cause all the juices to come out. You also want the steak to "rest" for about 10 mins before cutting.

its seriously not going to change the flavor

You, good sir, have no knowledge of what you speak.

If you prefer your steak dry and bland then by all means cut that sucker up into a million pieces and throw it in a pan. Shouldn't affect the flavor, right? Please turn in your man card on your way out.

right because choping something into little pieces is the exact same effect as making a tiny incision.

I was only joshing you but I stand by what I said. You cut into a steak it is going to cause the juices to come out. No way around it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    the salt and pepper definetly goes a long way
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cast iron pan > Foreman "grill"

Everything tastes better since I starting cooking it in a cast iron pan.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

I was only joshing you but I stand by what I said. You cut into a steak it is going to cause the juices to come out. No way around it.

i'll admit that. but you'd have quite the palet if you could really descern the differnce from that one little cut IMO
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    what is the propper way to clean a cast iron pan?
  • GoldspursX3
    Options

i'll admit that. but you'd have quite the palet if you could really descern the differnce from that one little cut IMO

Those juices pack some flavor!
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    what is the propper way to clean a cast iron pan?

A wet paper towel.

ETA: You never want to use soap or put it in a dishwasher. This will remove the 'seasoning' and you have to go thru the nutroll of reseasoning it. I've had my skillet for 10 years and it has never seen soap.
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I only do brats on the foreman. I boil them in beer/water for 12 minutes then char them a little bit with the foreman. Might venture into paninis at some point. I, too, am a pan user for steaks.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    How long for medium rare? They are one inch thick steaks.

Idk, cook for two min and cut into them and go from there

This post made me sad.

Never cut into a steak while still cooking to check doneness. This will cause all the juices to come out. You also want the steak to "rest" for about 10 mins before cutting.

its seriously not going to change the flavor, besides, do it once and then you know how long you have to cook it for. you can't adjust the temp on the forman grill, another draw back

actually it will. the juices do impart flavor, so unless you like your steak dry and chewy, don't cut into it while it's cooking.

if you want to check the doneness, take your finger and press lightly on the surface of the steak to see how much give or "spring" it's got. it'll feel squooshy if rare, then varying degrees of firmness until it's well done. but if you're doing steaks regularly on the foreman grill, you learn how much time each cut generally needs. on a 1" thick steak, no matter what the cut, i do 4 minutes, pull it off, let it rest for 8-10, and it's always come out a nearly-perfect medium rare.

and i don't know about yours, but my grill has an adjustable temperature gauge (along with the removeable, dishwasher-safe grill plates). i always set it at 425 and let it continue to heat after it's beeped to get it as hot as possible.

now... all of that being said... i've stopped using it ONLY because i have a small calphalon pan that holds a steak perfectly and can get an AMAZING sear crust. even then, it's 4 minutes on one side, 2-3 on the other, then let rest.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Those juices pack some flavor!

i guess more is always better.

a different topic perhaps but less fat is touted as one of the pros of the forman grill, obviously that will come at the expense of taste, but worth throwing out there i suppose.