2000 calories a day - still not gaining

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i agree with calculating your TDEE.
    Second- try lifting weight. Will add u muscles.

it takes a lot of training, surplus, and supplements (especially for a woman) to gain significant muscle.

I do not wish to gain muscle - only fat. I cannot do training or weight lifting, going to a gym is impossible for me

then like others have mentioned, i think this is just a case of needing to up your calories.

im intrigued, however, at your statement of not wanting to gain LBM but only fat.

what is your ultimate goal? just curious.

My goal is to be 10 stone and curvy. I want to have fat. I want to have cellulite ect. Looking "fat" is my goal. I know that sounds wrong but I have body dismorphic disorder and will not feel normal unless that is how I look

not wrong at all...if thats your goal and what youd be happy with, then more power to ya!

wanna get fat? come spend a weekend with me! :laugh: :wink:

its been mentioned, but strive for the more calorie-dense foods. salad dressings, nut butters, mayo, butter, cook with oils, eat lots of cheeses, fatty cuts of meat (rib eye, sirloin, pork shoulders/butts).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating 200 calories a day and feel too full to eat anymore then that.

I am having breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between.

I cant eat a lot of dairy at the moment, I am getting tested currently for a few possible things including chrons, celiacs diseas,diabeties and thyroid issues.

Could any of these affect my ability to gain weight?

Or is 2000 calories just not enough

currently 5 foot 6 and weight only 8 stone. My TDEE is around 1500 and basic rate around 1300

My goal weight is 10 stone. impossible I know!

I have some thoughts on this...

NOTE: I AM ACCURATELY TRACKING MY INTAKE DAILY AND DO NOT EXERCISE. SO DO NOT PATRONIZE ME AND TELL ME YOU KNOW ME BETTER AND THAT MY TDEE IS WRONG!.YOU ARE ALL ASSUMING I EXERCISE A LOT SO OF COURSE IT WILL READ DIFFERENTLY.

Oh. Well. In that case. Never mind.

Best of luck to you in all your health and fitness goals.
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options

it takes a lot of training, surplus, and supplements (especially for a woman) to gain significant muscle.

I do not wish to gain muscle - only fat. I cannot do training or weight lifting, going to a gym is impossible for me

then like others have mentioned, i think this is just a case of needing to up your calories.

im intrigued, however, at your statement of not wanting to gain LBM but only fat.

I'm also curious, as I've never seen anyone say they only wanted to gain fat. Nothing wrong with a little fat, just want to hear the answer.

I want to look fat, have curves ect, have all my bony parts covered. I hate my collar bones, wrists,ankles and hips. I could not care less if I was toned , cellulite wont bother me. long as I am seen as fat or curvy I would be happy.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    your thyroid could keep you from gaining as well
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be 10 stone and curvy. I want to have fat. I want to have cellulite ect. Looking "fat" is my goal. I know that sounds wrong but I have body dismorphic disorder and will not feel normal unless that is how I look

Interesting. Well muscles can give you curves too. But cellulite, well, I guess gaining some fat would be the only way to do that. I have no experience with body dismorphic disorder so I can't begin to understand what you're going through.

Agree with all the other posters, you just have to increase your calories until you start gaining.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    OP, you kinda came out swinging with your edit in your original post.

If you aren't gaining, you need to eat more calories. If you aren't going for gaining LBM, you might still want to look into lifting. Not everyone gets tight and "toned" when they lift.

Also, cellulite shouldn't necessarily be a body goal. You may gain body fat and not have cellulite.
  • Owlibee
    Options

not wrong at all...if thats your goal and what youd be happy with, then more power to ya!

wanna get fat? come spend a weekend with me! :laugh: :wink:

its been mentioned, but strive for the more calorie-dense foods. salad dressings, nut butters, mayo, butter, cook with oils, eat lots of cheeses, fatty cuts of meat (rib eye, sirloin, pork shoulders/butts).

I do tend to add tons of butter and cheese to my cooking. although dairy does not agree with me so good. I tend to eat lean meats so maybe switching to a fattier variety will help :)
  • Owlibee
    Options

If you aren't gaining, you need to eat more calories. If you aren't going for gaining LBM, you might still want to look into lifting. Not everyone gets tight and "toned" when they lift.

Also, cellulite shouldn't necessarily be a body goal. You may gain body fat and not have cellulite.

I see cellulite as equaling fat hence why I see it as a goal.I am worried that looking toned will make me look more thin
  • Owlibee
    Options

Interesting. Well muscles can give you curves too. But cellulite, well, I guess gaining some fat would be the only way to do that. I have no experience with body dismorphic disorder so I can't begin to understand what you're going through.

Agree with all the other posters, you just have to increase your calories until you start gaining.

its just hard when you get on the scales and your still the same weight. All I see is a skeleton in the mirror.

If I could inject fat into my body I would
  • Owlibee
    Options

sorry its a touchy subject and I get a little defensive :/
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Are you in counseling at all? I'm just worried if you have body dysmorphia, even if you gain weight you will still see a "skeleton in the mirror."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) TDEE is an estimate
    2.) If you are not gaining- you are not eating enough and or are miscalculating what you are consuming.

I don't exercise other then walking around the house and u and down the stairs ect,

So how many calories DO I need then? or how much DO I need to eat?

Assuming I dont eat enough is no good unless you can tell me why. dont think any of you are reading my question

You aren't gaining. Then you aren't eating enough. Period.

Please don't make this harder than it is It really is THAT simple. .
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I'll happily trade bodies with you!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Are you in counseling at all? I'm just worried if you have body dysmorphia, even if you gain weight you will still see a "skeleton in the mirror."

this is a good point.

if i missed it, i apologize, but OP, are you in recovery from an ED?

it sounds to me like a little work on your relationship with yourself is in order.

i do hope you reach all your goals, whatever they may be, and that you are truly happy with you, both inside and out.
  • Owlibee
    Options

I dont want to have counselling as they will persuade me to stay thin. I can see my ribs ect and I cant sleep due to pertruding hipbones causing pain when on side but I am unsure if that is in my head or real.

in photos I look skeletal though
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

I understand that, and in my previous post I wasn't suggesting toning up. I was suggesting lifting for health. You can "look" however you want to, and aim your goals that way.

That being said, cellulite does have certain genetic factors, so even though you may look "overweight," you may never seen any cellulite.

Are you in counseling? Genuine sincerity here, not trying to be mean.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I really hope you are getting psychiatric help for your body dysmorphia.
  • Owlibee
    Options

this is a good point.

it sounds to me like a little work on your relationship with yourself is in order.

i do hope you reach all your goals, whatever they may be, and that you are truly happy with you, both inside and out.

I almost died due to anorexia 10 years ago. I had weeks to live as I ate so little.

I was in recovery for 4 years and now can eat normal but the sight of my bony body has plagued me ever since. I still feel I look anorexic
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Your estimates might be under because the estimation formulas are only generally effective.

I suggest getting your metabolism measured at a clinic. The DEXA scan will give you an accurate estimate but also give you other data bout your body like a summary if your body composition, which is handy. It's always good to see if you have more visceral fat than your body needs. Excess visceral fat is bad for your health.

There is a test where you lie down for 45 minutes wearing a breathing mask. That, I believe, is the most accurate way to get your basal metabolic rate but you don't get the extra data that a DEXA scan gives you.

If you don't want to go down the clinical scan route then just up your daily goal by 100-200 a day and try that for a couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't after two weeks then up it again. Keep doing that until you notice a difference.

Another thing I've noticed is thing people doing weights training and eating more to support their bodies' need for more energy and protein. If I were a naturally thin person that's what I'd be doing, working out and eating a lot.
  • __freckles__
    Options

this is a good point.

I almost died due to anorexia 10 years ago. I had weeks to live as I ate so little.

I was in recovery for 4 years and now can eat normal

Congratulations on making it this far, but I would highly suggest seeing a medical professional about your mental issues, as you are clearly not well yet. I wish you all the luck in the world OP. :flowerforyou: