2000 calories a day - still not gaining

Options

Replies

• mkfoster9
    mkfoster9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One thing no one has mentioned is to check and see if you are in ketosis from too much protein - if you're sensitive to carbs, this can be an issue.
    You can check this with ketone strips from a drug store.

I'm pretty sure ketosis doesn't work that way =)

What way?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Try calculating your TDEE on www.iifym.com and eating more than that...

For example mine is a couple hundred over 2000 and I'm shorter than you so I would suggest up-ing it

My TDEE is 1537 calories a day
    If you aren't gaining on 2000 then your TDEE is not 1537.

Eat more. Log your food, and eat to your goal regardless of "hunger." Use high-calorie stuff for the extras if you want/need to.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    If you are maintaining weight, your TDEE is whatever you are eating. Doesn't really matter what that number is. If you are currently logging at around 2000 cals then you need to eat more than that to gain weight.

Liquid calories are your friend if you have a small appetite. Add a glass of full fat milk, fruit juice or soft drink to every meal. Easy cals.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're not consistently logging, so it's not likely that you're getting 2000 calories consistently every day. Maintaining a constant surplus is really difficult, and you have to keep on top of it. It's really easy to slip back into under-eating. If you're not gaining, you're not at a surplus.

Yes. I have issues with internet so can not log on daily to do it. I get 2000 minimum daily.
    ?
    What would be the point of lying to both you and my doctor?

She didn't call you a liar. She merely suggested that perhaps you are overestimating what you are eating, which is easy to do if you're not logging.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    If you are maintaining weight, your TDEE is whatever you are eating. Doesn't really matter what that number is. If you are currently logging at around 2000 cals then you need to eat more than that to gain weight.

Liquid calories are your friend if you have a small appetite. Add a glass of full fat milk, fruit juice or soft drink to every meal. Easy cals.

^This
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    A whole 2000 calories?

Today I ate MORE than you ate in THREE DAYS.

Eat more.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1900 so I can totally understand not gaining at 2000. My maintenance is about 2600 right now, though I am fairly active and weigh 208 pounds, how sure are you of your numbers?
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I lose on 1900 so I can totally understand not gaining at 2000. My maintenance is about 2600 right now, though I am fairly active and weigh 208 pounds, how sure are you of your numbers?

considering I dont excersise at all I think I am spot on with 2000

all of you body build and excersise

I dont go out the house.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Do you track somewhere else? I just went to look at your food diary and there's 2 days filled in from the last month and one is under 2000 calories.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I dont go out the house.

If you are firm on the numbers and your so sure about your current path, I'm not sure what you expect from the rest of us.

You've gotten a ton of responses & some very reasonable advice. It's up to you now.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I dont go out the house.

If you are firm on the numbers and your so sure about your current path, I'm not sure what you expect from the rest of us.

You've gotten a ton of responses & some very reasonable advice. It's up to you now.

Exactly.

IF you are not putting on weight then while you may be eating 2000 calories your TDEE must be 2000.

Some people just have higher TDEE's than others - just because a generic online calculator says yours is 1500 doesn't make it true.

You need to eat more - it is that simple. Up your calories to 2500 a day - log them and see what happens after 4 weeks.

Everyone is telling you the same thing for a reason. EAT MORE.

It really is that simple. Not gaining weight - eat more food.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I dont go out the house.

it doesn't matter what you think about how much any of us do or do not do compared to you.

If you aren't gaining on 2000 calories a day- then you are NOT eating enough.

Do not over complicate this.

If you want to gain- eat more- if you still aren't gaining EAT MORE than you're first attempt at eating more.

That is all there is to it- there is nothing else more that can be said. If you don't want to eat more- then you won't gain weight.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I dont go out the house.

it doesn't matter what you think about how much any of us do or do not do compared to you.

If you aren't gaining on 2000 calories a day- then you are NOT eating enough.

Do not over complicate this.

If you want to gain- eat more- if you still aren't gaining EAT MORE than you're first attempt at eating more.

That is all there is to it- there is nothing else more that can be said. If you don't want to eat more- then you won't gain weight.

So much this.

Gaining weight can be a slog. You have to be consistent. You have to be prepared to up your calories if you haven't gained after 2 weeks. It's a bit of a battle actually.

That battle can only be won by reacting to actual experience rather than a calculation or a belief. A calculator has given you a number, you believe it to be right. However you are eating 500 cals more a day and not gaining? Then both the calculator and the belief are wrong. You must adjust to the reality that 2000 cals is likely your TDEE. Everyone else has given you the right advice, eat above 2000 cals to gain weight. You probably need to start with 2250 but be prepared to up it to 2500+ after a fortnight if that's not enough to gain.

Sadly though, none of this will make you happy I suspect. Even if you gain the weight, you will be unhappy with what you see in the mirror due to self-image issues. Only an experienced medical professional can help you there - I hope you seek one out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I dont go out the house.

if your TDEE was 1500, you would be gaining on 2000 cals.... your not so that means you are eating less than you think or your TDEE is higher than you think...

EAT MORE FOOD....
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Since the average woman maintains her weight at about 2000 calories, then you're probably not losing because you're eating at maintenance. You need to eat more, plain and simple. Eat even if you're not hungry, because it's what you need to do to gain weight. Eating 2000+ calories is not that hard, trust me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like reading everyones comments, so in case it wasn't said: Hyperthyroidism, celiac and crohns can all make it difficult to maintain or put on weight. Not sure about diabetes, since most diabetics I've known have had the opposite problem. And I'm in no way a medical professional so I'd just wait to see what the doc says on testing to be sure.

Quoted for emphasis.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it too much until you get your tests results back. Usual advice is to eat calorie dense things like nuts, seeds, peanut butter, pasta, eggs, avocado, full fat dairy, etc. But if you have digestive issues or some sort of intolerance, some of these may make it worse. Therefore, it's best to get your medical review squared away and then work on any changes you might need to make. In the meantime, keep eating as much as you can and seriously consider counseling. I get you're hesitant but with a history of ED and admitted body dismorphia, you really could use it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I dont go out the house.

You are also only 22 years old, so your needs are naturally higher than for older people. At 51 years old my TDEE is nearly 2000 and I do not do a lot of activity.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Add a couple of doughnuts to your daily intake and you will probably gain weight.
  • racingproud
    Options
    I find for me I actually need to take in close to 3000cals per day just to maintain on days that I have cycling training I can take in up to 5000cal per day otherwise I will loose I also train 2-4 hours per day so I have a higher metabolic rate. I also deal with body dismorphia but for me it is the opposite I see myself as too fat but the same basic principles apply and I strongly encourage you to see a therapist or psychologist. Good luck :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    oops wrong post =)