Starting a 200+ pound weight loss journey

Options

Replies

• shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 41 years old and I weigh 360 pounds. It's interesting because I have seen it jump up in 20 pound increments over the last 3 years and I was literally shocked the other day when it read 360, like somehow I thought 340 (which was what I thought it would be) was ok or something. I went to a concert with my daughter the other day and could barely walk from the parking lot to the amphitheater. It was so embarrassing and painful, I had to stop 4-5 times not only to catch my breath but to rest because it felt like I was walking through mud. My legs and back hurt so bad. In reality, it wasn't that far but it was humiliating to me because I was with my friend and my two kids. I have two kids, age 16 and 21. They are fit and healthy and I am proud of them. I'm tired of my weight, I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of saying, "that's it, I'm done....I'm going to fix it now." I know how to do this. I know the right things to eat, I know that I need to start walking and work up to more exercise. I have no significant health problems other than sleep apnea and the time is now. I've been reading a lot of posts in here and I think what I'm missing is motivation. It's funny because I have every reason to do it, I just seem to lack the drive. This seems scary to me to post this and throw these thoughts out into the ether, but maybe that is what I need. I'm going to take the following steps to start:

1. Go back to recording my food diary here...It really helped me before keep on track.
    2. Stop drinking soda. All soda. Not trading regular for diet because that always brings me right back to regular somehow.
    3. No more drive through food.
    4. Start walking each day. Stop asking others to go get the mail. (I like to act like it's too far to get the mail. It's not, I'm just lazy)
    5. Stop asking others to do stuff for me an get things for me.

Reasons why I should follow through:

1. I'm done being nervous that I won't fit in a booth at a restaurant.
    2. I'm done feeling embarrassed that my family, friends and kids always ask for a table and not a booth at a restaurant because they know I probably won't fit.
    3. I'm done worrying about airplane seat belts.
    4. I'm done with having to special wash all my shirts so that they don't shrink and be to short for my stomach.
    5. I'm done with not being able to sleep at night because I can't get comfortable enough on my back, stomach or side because of my weight.
    6. I'm done with absolutely loving to swim, go to the water park etc but never going because my bathing suit is a joke and I look so huge in it.

I'm not giving up this time.

Oh my, you sound a lot like I did when I started this at 41 and started having back pains walking just down the street. I started at 340 and losing the weight has been the best thing I ever did. I had some of the same concerns about restaurant booths, and airplanes and don't forget amusement parks.

the good news... it's doable :smile:

The bad news... what bad news? other than replacing entire wardrobes?
    you will feel better
    you will no longer have those concerns about fitting into places
    (I would walk around cars in the parking lot, thinking there was no way I was squeezing though)
    you can keep up with people and not have to stop because you are in pain/tired, etc
    and the list goes on

Some things to keep in mind as you are starting...
    1) everyone will have an opinion on what you are doing right and wrong. And everyone loves to offer advice knowing they are right... This is both here on MFP and in real life. Ultimately you are the judge of it and you make the final decisions - it's your body after all...
    2) people in real life will want to feed you, that is just what people do - learn how to say no, thank you a lot :) it seems the more you lose, the more they want to feed you/take you out...
    3) take a before picture and updates - you will see changes in the pics side by side that you will never see in the mirror
    4) we all mess up, just pick yourself up and move on - no need for woulda, shoulda, coulda - it happened like spilled milk - don't let it derail you - just brush yourself off and move on...
    5) scales are dangerous - depending on everything, scales will tell you whatever they want whenever they want. look at pictures, take measurements - don't let a high salt day or PMS derail you because the scale tells you you are 5 lbs heavier (it will do that, trust me)

Good luck on your journey and best wishes...
  • npatten1
    npatten1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for such encouraging posts. I'm excited to start this journey knowing that your all here. My plan is to log in each day. Much love...Natalie
  • npatten1
    Options
    :heart: :smile: :heart:
  • JerseyChic76
    JerseyChic76 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This site is very helpful! I wish you luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!
  • npatten1
    Options
    Hello, I am 41 years old and I weigh 360 pounds. It's interesting because I have seen it jump up in 20 pound increments over the last 3 years and I was literally shocked the other day when it read 360, like somehow I thought 340 (which was what I thought it would be) was ok or something. I went to a concert with my daughter the other day and could barely walk from the parking lot to the amphitheater. It was so embarrassing and painful, I had to stop 4-5 times not only to catch my breath but to rest because it felt like I was walking through mud. My legs and back hurt so bad. In reality, it wasn't that far but it was humiliating to me because I was with my friend and my two kids. I have two kids, age 16 and 21. They are fit and healthy and I am proud of them. I'm tired of my weight, I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of saying, "that's it, I'm done....I'm going to fix it now." I know how to do this. I know the right things to eat, I know that I need to start walking and work up to more exercise. I have no significant health problems other than sleep apnea and the time is now. I've been reading a lot of posts in here and I think what I'm missing is motivation. It's funny because I have every reason to do it, I just seem to lack the drive. This seems scary to me to post this and throw these thoughts out into the ether, but maybe that is what I need. I'm going to take the following steps to start:

1. Go back to recording my food diary here...It really helped me before keep on track.
    2. Stop drinking soda. All soda. Not trading regular for diet because that always brings me right back to regular somehow.
    3. No more drive through food.
    4. Start walking each day. Stop asking others to go get the mail. (I like to act like it's too far to get the mail. It's not, I'm just lazy)
    5. Stop asking others to do stuff for me an get things for me.

Reasons why I should follow through:

1. I'm done being nervous that I won't fit in a booth at a restaurant.
    2. I'm done feeling embarrassed that my family, friends and kids always ask for a table and not a booth at a restaurant because they know I probably won't fit.
    3. I'm done worrying about airplane seat belts.
    4. I'm done with having to special wash all my shirts so that they don't shrink and be to short for my stomach.
    5. I'm done with not being able to sleep at night because I can't get comfortable enough on my back, stomach or side because of my weight.
    6. I'm done with absolutely loving to swim, go to the water park etc but never going because my bathing suit is a joke and I look so huge in it.

I'm not giving up this time.

Oh my, you sound a lot like I did when I started this at 41 and started having back pains walking just down the street. I started at 340 and losing the weight has been the best thing I ever did. I had some of the same concerns about restaurant booths, and airplanes and don't forget amusement parks.

the good news... it's doable :smile:

The bad news... what bad news? other than replacing entire wardrobes?
    you will feel better
    you will no longer have those concerns about fitting into places
    (I would walk around cars in the parking lot, thinking there was no way I was squeezing though)
    you can keep up with people and not have to stop because you are in pain/tired, etc
    and the list goes on

Some things to keep in mind as you are starting...
    1) everyone will have an opinion on what you are doing right and wrong. And everyone loves to offer advice knowing they are right... This is both here on MFP and in real life. Ultimately you are the judge of it and you make the final decisions - it's your body after all...
    2) people in real life will want to feed you, that is just what people do - learn how to say no, thank you a lot :) it seems the more you lose, the more they want to feed you/take you out...
    3) take a before picture and updates - you will see changes in the pics side by side that you will never see in the mirror
    4) we all mess up, just pick yourself up and move on - no need for woulda, shoulda, coulda - it happened like spilled milk - don't let it derail you - just brush yourself off and move on...
    5) scales are dangerous - depending on everything, scales will tell you whatever they want whenever they want. look at pictures, take measurements - don't let a high salt day or PMS derail you because the scale tells you you are 5 lbs heavier (it will do that, trust me)

Good luck on your journey and best wishes...

amusement parks....I forgot that one. Last year we went to Wild Waves and that was the last time I was ever going down a tube slide. I had to inch myself down the last half of the slide because I hit a dry spot and couldn't propel my own weight back into the water flow.

I was just thinking about the pictures. I've never done that before and since I plan to be serious, I'm going to take the pictures.

Thank you!!!!
  • myturn92014
    Options
    Good for you. I am organizing to start my own journey (for real this time) on Monday. Please add me - it would help keep me on track to team up with someone else who started around the same time.
  • npatten1
    Options
    Congrats for taking this first step. I know how you feel. I was 326 and was mortified that I had let myself get that large. When I started I knew the gym would be pointless, so I just walked. At first it was just around the block one time. Then after a week, it was twice. I kept adding more, then joined the gym and used the treadmill. I started increasing the incline on the treadmill and before I knew it I had worked up to walking uphill for an HOUR every night! I cut carbs back to 30g per meal, and logged everything I ate. I lost 130lbs over a year and a half. I no longer need to shop in the plus size section! I can not only get in an airplane seat, but i can get in a kayak! I can ride a bike! My sister commented that I am younger now than I have been in 20 years. I still have weight to lose, but I am enjoying life now and can't believe how much I was missing before. I was able to stop all my meds. My sugar levels are now normal. Was it worth the things I had to give up? A millions times over, Yes!

I'm planning on high protein, low carb and I'm going to log everything. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we always talk about kayaking....both my girls kayak. I've never tried....just the thought freaks me out. Hopefully by next summer I can kayak...:smile:
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm also over 300 pounds (or I was last time I weighed myself, it's been over a month), and I'm finally ready to take control over my health. The soda thing was HUGE for me. I feel so much better without it. I'll cheer you on if you get cravings/caffeine headaches - give it a couple of weeks and you will feel better.
  • xeno732
    xeno732 Posts: 1
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself for having the courage and determination to begin this journey! Remember, you don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great :)
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I began at a higher weight than you and have lost nearly 60 lbs so far, in 6 months. If I can do it, you can do it.
  • SephoraJunkieRN
    SephoraJunkieRN Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    wow.....i'm through with all those things too. we can do this together. sending add request now :)
  • loricornmesser
    Options
    Congratulation! Like you I have started my journey.... for the 50th time... And like you, this time I must do it. I'm tired and I'm becoming ill because of my weight. I want to play with my grandson who is 2 without having to go sit down after 5 mins. I want to be able to get on the floor and play with him , and be able to get back up. I want to look in the mirror and not see this fat person I do not recognize. I am so proud of you. You gave me a bit more confidence and showed me I am not alone. You wrote an article that I could relate to. You inspired me today.... Thank You! loricornmesser
  • rdean503
    Options
    Good luck! You got this! Keep your eye on the prize!
  • beritrocksmyuniverse
    Options
    Good for you! It is really admirable to know your weaknesses up front and avoid your pitfalls. :D
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Yay, good for you! My starting weight was 370 lbs (highest ever was 400 lbs). Sounds like you've got a good idea of what your triggers are. Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do fine
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Natalie, welcome to MFP! I love your post. You have a plan and when I was reading it, I could relate totally. I always worry when I am shown to a booth. Besides being really fat, I am short waisted and the table always hits me in awkward places. I remember taking my first walk and I couldn't even go one block without having to rest. I understand the embarrassment issue too. We have an amusement park 5 blocks away and I won't go because I cannot fit in the seats. I will next year though. We also have a brand new indoor trampoline park which my grandson loves going to. He asked me if I was going to jump and before I could answer, he said right, you can't cause it would break. Ounce by ounce I am changing. It takes time and there are no quick fixes.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I am sending a friend request. I am one of the oldsters on here. Accept it, if you would like.
  • lnmarieg
    lnmarieg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Obviously I don't know you- but can I say? -I'm so proud of you and your bravery! You have said things that resonate with me and that I have never been able to write in public or say out loud. You are an inspiration. I've been actively using fitness pal for only a few weeks and you are my first post- I wish you the best in your journey and if you need support, I'd be glad to chat with you!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hello and nice to meet you :) Welcome to MFP. This site has taught me so much and I have received so much great advice, wisdom and encouragement. I started about 100 lbs heavier than you at 465. 3 years later I am down over 200 lbs, so I can say what you want to achieve is possible! The best pieces of advice I can give are weight your food no matter what. Always log everything that goes into your mouth and always be honest with yourself, you diary is about you and your body so be honest. Most importantly never give up. The only reason this worked for me this time around and had not in the past was my attitude. I decided no matter bad a day I had no matter what I had coming up etc I would always try my hardest to stay in calories. When I didn't I don't throw the whole day away and say "oh well" anymore. I next meal I still make the best I can. If I have a full bad day I start brand new the next day and get back on track. As long as you never give up, you will never fail. You can do this and if you would like to send a friend request I would love to encourage you :) Best of luck on your journey :)
  • kezharriman
    Options
    Good luck with your weight loss journey. I have a good 4st to lose and i too have just started. I feel that this time i will do it and there is so much support here too! :smile: