Stronglifts on *gulp* A SMITH MACHINE! (& a c25k question!)

Options
Advaya
Advaya Posts: 226 Member
Yeah, I am asking for it aren't I?

Okay, heads up.. I'm a totally broke single mama who hauls my six month old baby to the "gym" with me hoping she'll entertain herself in her carseat long enough for me to get a quick workout in.

My gym is in the basement of a church. They have donated equipment. It's old. Most of the cardio stuff doesn't have monitors that work anymore. Lots and lots of strength machines. A free weight bench press thingy (uh, sorry...) and A SMITH MACHINE!

Yeah. I know. They suck.

I REALLY want to do stronglifts 5x5. Going to another gym is not an option (read: broke single mama (this is free and 5 minutes away). The next closest gym is 35 minute away and doesn't offer child care.

Can I make due with a Smith machine for the squats? Alternatively, what could I substitute? I mean, they're the bulk of the program, so I really would rather do them than not... sigh... like I said they have a normal bar and a bench press but its not usable for squats. I assume I can use it for everything else though?

Second:
I enjoy running. I want to run 5ks. I want to do the c25k (second time I've done it) but I want to do it same day as SL5x5. Am I screwing myself over somehow?

I apologize for the newb questions. I'm learning :D

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. can i use the smith machine for the squats?

sure. not nearly ideal, but it'll work if it's all you got

2. can i use the bench and barbell for everything else?

yep

3. can i do C25K while also doing SL?

yep
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm not doing strong lifts but something similar and i also trained for a 5k . i basically lifted 3 days a week and did the zombies run 5k app 3 days a week

i wouldnt recommend doing the workouts on the same days though, especially as you get to a point with the weights where your reps are hard. you might be able to get away with when first starting out with SL, but since you're progressing through the weights so rapidly, you might quickly get to the point where you can barely walk after squats let alone run.

besides that, it might also end up making for a very long workout
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can use a smith machine but it's definitely not ideal. Be careful you don't injure yourself. You can't get the full range of motion with a smith.

If they have dumbbells you can do goblet squats, but if the equipment is limited you probably won't be able to get too heavy. If you want to learn to power clean you could also do front squats.
  • Advaya
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll use the smith machine until I can afford both a babysitter and a new gym.

I would ideally do both SL and c25k the same day only because weekends are family time for me, and I'd have to use Saturday for one of the two workouts :/

Doable, but not ideal. Like a smith machine lol.
  • DavPul
    Options
    i've never figured out why everyone here is adamant that people can't lift and run on the same day. that's the way i always do it. i'm a sucky runner, but the fact that i lifted right before hitting the trail doesn't make me any worse than usual.

try doing it on the same day if it's more convenient for you. it's much easier starting out if you make your exercise fit your lifestyle and not the other way around
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've never figured out why everyone here is adamant that people can't lift and run on the same day. that's the way i always do it. i'm a sucky runner, but the fact that i lifted right before hitting the trail doesn't make me any worse than usual.

try doing it on the same day if it's more convenient for you. it's much easier starting out if you make your exercise fit your lifestyle and not the other way around

well it depends on how fit you are. i know i personally cant eating 1000 calorie deficit, deadlift more than my body weight and run a 5k on the same day.

then again i'm an old biyatch... i had no problems doing it when i was younger and eating at maintenance though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I agree. My order has always been different, but I have done 45-60 minutes of hard cardio and followed that with PBs in both bench press and squats. You can train yourself to do a lot of things.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Look up some videos that will show you how to do goblet squats. If you're just starting to lift, you can keep progressing with a set of dumbbells for awhile, and you'll work your core much better with goblet squats than you will using a Smith machine. You'll be able to get a full range of motion with a goblet squat too, which you may or may not be able to do with a Smith.
  • Advaya
    Options
    Thanks again. I think I'll start out with them on the same days and if its too much I'll sacrifice half an hour on a family day. It won't be the end of the world, I'm just a sucker for routine.

They actually have a huge amount of dumbbells there but obviously I'm not going to get near where I would with a barbell, so I guess really it comes down to if its better to squat less with dumbbells or squat less ideally but with more weight using a smith.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

well it depends on how fit you are. i know i personally cant eating 1000 calorie deficit, deadlift more than my body weight and run a 5k on the same day.

then again i'm an old biyatch... i had no problems doing it when i was younger and eating at maintenance though.

Well, she is just starting out. Should be more than the 8 wks of c25k before she's lifting her bodyweight with any of the lifts. And if it's too much she can shift to lifting MWF and running TR. Nothing says you have to run 3 days a week to do c25k.

That said, I just finished C25K while lifting. Sometimes the same day, sometimes alternate days. I didn't notice a huge difference.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Add me to the jog after weights club.... I have bad knee's so I move at a snails pace but I actually prefer to get a little cardio in at the end of my lifting sessions... 2 years ago I was doing deads and pitched a nerve in my neck and it paralyzed my right arm (literally woke up in the night time and could not lift my arm off the bed) I went through 6 months of Physical therapy and have spent the last 18 months working through it. My ortho doctor decided rest and therapy was the route to go and told me in the beginning it could take a couple years for the nerve to regenerate and that it may never get completely back to normal.. Because it effected all the muscle in my shoulder and triceps I had no stabilizer muscles to control the weight so my PT put me in the smith machine for all pressing movements and because of my knee's I had already been using it for squats.

I since have started lifting with free weights again but still have to use the smith machine for bigger pressing movements if I am going to do any weight... I know it isn't quite as ideal as free pressing movements but at 44 years old and once being trap in my house at 560 lbs. and the fact that at one point when I first injured my neck I could not even push a 5 lb. dumbbell over my head, frankly I am am content still having the smith machine as part of my lifting regimen.. It is a heck of alot better than being stuck in my house staring at the same 4 walls for over 2 years... Best of Luck....
  • DavPul
    Options
    smith machine squats>>>>>>>goblet squats
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and weights on the same day with no problems.

I agree with others that Smith machine isn't ideal, but if it's what you have to work with, then hey, whatcha gonna do?
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    your questions have already all been answered well, but I just wanted to mention that it's important to make sure you use the right form if you're going to be squatting with the smith machine... it's a highly uncomfortable experience if done incorrectly. this is an ok guide but someone with more time/knowledge may be able to give you better pointers: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/smith-machine-squat

ETA: I did smith machine squats a couple times before ditching it for free weights but it's not the horrible thing people make it out to be. just making sure you're facing the correct way or I might laugh at you. :wink:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna do the SL program the same day as running, do the SL first, then run! I couldn't imagine wanting to do my heavy squats after a full cardio session.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Nevermind someone posted advice about form and link above. This link has some BS in it but also some advice that can be used with the link abouve.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128305961
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The smith machine clean and jerk is a bit awkward.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with your knees trying to squat on the smith machine. As a general matter, while the movement on the smith machine reduces the stress on your back, it puts additional strain on your knees because it largely takes your hamstrings (the muscles that help stabilize your knee) out of the movement. I would say if you start feeling it in your knees, stop and adjust your form. If after adjusting your form you still feel it in your knees, stop and wait until you can get access to a barbell or a leg press.
  • cgallagher1019
    Options
    Smith machines are great! Legs, chest, shoulders! So great! Especially for beginners. As a new mom, squats on a smith machine also eliminate a ton of pressure from your obliques, keeping your waist slimmer :) There are 2 defferent smith machine stles, and knowing which one you're dealing with will greatly change your form. There are ones on a 90 degree angle, and there are ones on a slight angle. If you have a straight one you can pretty much squat like you would on a squat rack. On the angled one you need to keep your legs further infront of you to ensure your body is on an angle with the machine. As someone who used to hate smith machines, having them in my contest-prep workouts has given me new love and respect for them.
    Feel free to email me for some exercises :)
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I lift heavy for 60-90 minutes and then either do HITT on the treadmill or elliptical. I always recommend lifting before cardio.