The BASIC weight loss strategy. No gimmicks.

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yup, for me it's been much easier these last 12 years to make small subtle changes in *how* I eat and to be as physically active as possible, with good lean body mass, rather than counting, weighing, and measuring. To me daily counting isn't sustainable.
    If it works, no need to fix it. I'm just happy with new technology, inputing it on my phone is MUCH better, faster and easier than when I had to write stuff down in a journal. Takes but a minute or less to log a meal and easy to assess my macro/micronutrients rather than reading a bunch of labels from before.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    oh LORD yes.
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I've done it without "TDEE".
    Still keeping at it since drama made me gain 8 lbs back last month.
  • haberbabe
    haberbabe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'll look into it. Thank you. I always prefer getting what i need from healthy food but the potassium just seems impossible....
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'll look into it. Thank you. I always prefer getting what i need from healthy food but the potassium just seems impossible....

There is quite a bit of potassium in white potatoes, salmon, avocado and plain yogurt if you like/eat any of those. Also, I drink low sodium V-8 juice (I prefer Spicy) and it is really high in potassium (820 mg per 8 oz cup) but the potassium/sodium ratio is not as good as some other foods (6 to 1). I just like V8 juice and it is satiating for me.

There is a chart that you might like that shows the potassium/sodium ratio here: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2011/September/sodium-potassium-together-influence-heart-health
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Calorie for calorie, without having to spend a lot of time hunting it down, spinach is a great source of potassium. Raw or cooked.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ashleybrown0118
    ashleybrown0118 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Question - what if you've already met your calories for the day and you still feel hungry?? Drinking tons of water and still hungry? Then what?

Depends what time of day it is. Can I get through until bedtime or am I going to faint at work?
    When this happens I go for low cal high nutrient foods, usually spinach or broccoli. Seriously, go eat three cups of broccoli (~100 calories),keep drinking your water, and tell me you are hungry. You may not be satisfied, but you will not be hungry.

Then tomorrow, plan ahead. Cutting calories isn't fun, but it shouldn't be painful. Hope this helps a little.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is killing me. I have consistently stayed under 1300 calories since I've started tracking (about 3 mos). I actually went over for the first time about 3 days ago (around 1350).
    I have been stalled for almost 3 weeks, no budging of the scale, yet more important not budging of inches! I do NOT eat back my exercise calories, and do lifting 4 days a week, followed by 25-30 minutes of cardio. The fifth day I do cardio and abs.
    I was trying for a pound a week but obviously that wasn't working (My friends on here kept telling me to up my calories) so I changed it to 1/2 a pound and my calories are now 1490. My TDEE -20% is 1650.
    So I'm supposed to eat more and suddenly this will start working? Which one of these is my magic number??
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    So simple, isn't it... and yet so hard to do sometimes.

Yep
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Realize that MFP entries don't always record potassium. For instance, grapes are a great source. Check out all the grape entries.

This means that, if you're hitting about half your RDA, you're probably getting all of it

Turkey is a good source as well.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Okay, this is killing me. I have consistently stayed under 1300 calories since I've started tracking (about 3 mos). I actually went over for the first time about 3 days ago (around 1350).
    I have been stalled for almost 3 weeks, no budging of the scale, yet more important not budging of inches! I do NOT eat back my exercise calories, and do lifting 4 days a week, followed by 25-30 minutes of cardio. The fifth day I do cardio and abs.
    I was trying for a pound a week but obviously that wasn't working (My friends on here kept telling me to up my calories) so I changed it to 1/2 a pound and my calories are now 1490. My TDEE -20% is 1650.
    So I'm supposed to eat more and suddenly this will start working? Which one of these is my magic number??

Are you weighing your food? The most likely culprit is logging inaccurately.
  • Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bumping so more people see.

I like this video on the importance of weighing foods:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

This is so true.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you got my PM's on this. Let me know if you didn't.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps you misinterpreted my final comment, or took it out of context. I was refering to the actual function of calorie counting, not the relative ease/difficulty of adhering to "X" number of calories. What is your target loss per week that puts you at 1400 calories? I pretty much have mine set for 1/2 lb/ week. My base mfp number was about 1850 - my TDEE minus 20ish % is 2335. I aim for 2300 to keep it in round numbers. Yesterday for dinner I ate 1/2 a 12" dominos thin crust pizza with pe, saus and veg - and had 4 beers. I was over for the day by 200. So I know I need to make up for that over the next few days.

My TDEE minus 20% is a little over 1400 per day. I think on MFP I put in a target of 1 pound a week, and it has me at 1350. It's low. It sucks. Maybe I am quick to misread peoples' intentions because I am so hungry/angry (hangry?) ;).

I'm a short girl, though. And fairly sedentary. Need to up my calories out and put on some muscle, then I will be able to maintain at a calorie level that is easy to keep.

I don't see a ticker that outlines your goals as far as weight is concerned, but your profile has a goal of "30 before 30" so the choice is yours. If you reset to 1/2 lb per week you get another 250 calories/day. If you do exercise - even a nice long walk in the evening/ morning - you will have even more calories available.

As with the poster who doesn't want to count calories - to each their own. Find what works for you and stick to it. I'm lucky - it's only taken me 52 years! :wink:
  • rachael79mfp
    Options
    Ok I think this answered my listed question right before I was bombed by the Indian love doctor and supplement scammers.
    Cheers!!!
  • poojavasa7
    poojavasa7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ;(@&
  • going2heaven87
    Options
    Multiply your goal weight by 10 and this will be your maximum number of calories allowed in a day. Subtract 500 from your maximum daily calories and this will be the minimum allowed.

800-1300 calories a day? Yikes. No thank you. I'll stick with the other guy - 1400 is hard, but your thing is impossible ;)

Good lord you are whiney. Sorry to say but it's true. First somebody asks what is so hard about paying attention to how much fuel you put in your body and you go off on this rant about how hard 1400 calories a day is which has nothing to do with what she said. Now you are complaining about these numbers? I think it's actually pretty reasonable for weight loss and MFP seems to agree. My max should be 1350 kcal/day and MFP says around 1328. My minimum would be 1100 or so. Very resonable. I only eat when my body tells me I am hungry and yesterday I came in just short of 1,000 kcal. My point is I'm not sure what your whining is about. If 1,400 kcal/day is hard, you may want to look at the foods you are eating and find more nutrient dense foods. When I am eating clean, healthy foods, I have a hard time finding 1,300 calories to consume each day. In fact last night for dinner I ate too much at once and I felt like a pig afterwards. When coworkers bring in cake, I don't have any. If I were too, who cares? Going a few hundred calories once in a great while won't ruin all the work you have done. It's actually good to keep your metabolism going and can speed it up.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Multiply your goal weight by 10 and this will be your maximum number of calories allowed in a day. Subtract 500 from your maximum daily calories and this will be the minimum allowed.

800-1300 calories a day? Yikes. No thank you. I'll stick with the other guy - 1400 is hard, but your thing is impossible ;)

Good lord you are whiney. Sorry to say but it's true. First somebody asks what is so hard about paying attention to how much fuel you put in your body and you go off on this rant about how hard 1400 calories a day is which has nothing to do with what she said. Now you are complaining about these numbers? I think it's actually pretty reasonable for weight loss and MFP seems to agree. My max should be 1350 kcal/day and MFP says around 1328. My minimum would be 1100 or so. Very resonable. I only eat when my body tells me I am hungry and yesterday I came in just short of 1,000 kcal. My point is I'm not sure what your whining is about. If 1,400 kcal/day is hard, you may want to look at the foods you are eating and find more nutrient dense foods. When I am eating clean, healthy foods, I have a hard time finding 1,300 calories to consume each day. In fact last night for dinner I ate too much at once and I felt like a pig afterwards. When coworkers bring in cake, I don't have any. If I were too, who cares? Going a few hundred calories once in a great while won't ruin all the work you have done. It's actually good to keep your metabolism going and can speed it up.

Everybody's calorie needs are different. My maintenance calories are around 2200 and I cut at 1850-1900. No amount of "clean" (whatever that means today) eating would make 1400 calories anything but a starvation diet for me.
  • elbow
    elbow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The D.E.A.N approach..
    Step 1: Decide what your target weight is going to be, use the BMI calculator to help but YOU decide what your goal weight should be. Multiply your goal weight by 10 and this will be your maximum number of calories allowed in a day. Subtract 500 from your maximum daily calories and this will be the minimum allowed.

Hmmm - lets see. Goal 95kg. Between 450 and 950 calories per day. Yow.

Oh - what do you say? In retro IMPERIAL units? Really!?

click click...

Between 1590 and 2090 calories per day.

Sounds too much for me?

Steve