The BASIC weight loss strategy. No gimmicks.

Options
123457»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Move more. Eat less.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    bump page 3 and easy/simple/and perception
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    But I WANT the magic pill....I NEED the magic pill!!

Honestly, this site has been such a wonderful wealth of information! For my first 4 weeks at MFP I ate 1200 (net) a day. The first 2 weeks were great; the third week I was starting to get hungry and by the fourth week I would have killed someone for a bagel!! ...(I did however, lose 11.5lbs in the first four weeks)

So, for my fifth week, I decided to do a bit of a hybrid - I did the TDEE - 20% calculation and settled on 1600 a day, but if I was starving and had calories burned that day, I would eat some back. I felt great (but/and??) still lost 1.5lbs that week. Though I'm not technically set to weigh in until Tuesday for my 6th week, I've already lost another 1lb, so I may play with upping my calories a bit again. I also invested in a Garmin Vivofit and bundled it with the heart rate monitor, so I feel a bit more confident in correctly assessing my calories burned.

I've learned so much from reading all of these message boards and at only (almost) 6 weeks in, I'm looking forward to the journey!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    But I WANT the magic pill....I NEED the magic pill!!

Honestly, this site has been such a wonderful wealth of information! For my first 4 weeks at MFP I ate 1200 (net) a day. The first 2 weeks were great; the third week I was starting to get hungry and by the fourth week I would have killed someone for a bagel!! ...(I did however, lose 11.5lbs in the first four weeks)

So, for my fifth week, I decided to do a bit of a hybrid - I did the TDEE - 20% calculation and settled on 1600 a day, but if I was starving and had calories burned that day, I would eat some back. I felt great (but/and??) still lost 1.5lbs that week. Though I'm not technically set to weigh in until Tuesday for my 6th week, I've already lost another 1lb, so I may play with upping my calories a bit again. I also invested in a Garmin Vivofit and bundled it with the heart rate monitor, so I feel a bit more confident in correctly assessing my calories burned.

I've learned so much from reading all of these message boards and at only (almost) 6 weeks in, I'm looking forward to the journey!!
    Great job! So many dieters and diet programs regulate to a 1200 calorie diet for EVERYONE. As you've found out, it doesn't have to be that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Question - what if you've already met your calories for the day and you still feel hungry?? Drinking tons of water and still hungry? Then what?

Then you start the process of analyzing why you are still hungry. Is it because you have set your calories too low? Is it because you are eating foods that may be triggering your hunger? Is it habit or boredom? Is it because you aren't getting enough sleep?

One day is just one day. We each need to develop eating patterns that work for us every day. It's a fine tuning process.

Who am I to speak as one who has lost so little as of today? Well, I've been at this a long time. I am coming to know EXACTLY what works for me AND what doesn't. My problem is falling into my comfy old eating habits that leave me hungry and munching incessantly into the night. When I eat and behave following what does work for me, I lose at about 1 pound a week.

So, work on knowing what works for you. If you can learn it at a young age and stick with it, you won't be battling it in your 60s like me.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have a question and forgive me if it's a stupid one but i have such a hard time understanding all these TDEE and BMR calculations. I just went on line and found a free TDEE calculator... based on what it is telling me i would need to consume 1775 per day... right now I hit around 1200-1350 so basically it's telling me I need to eat more to lose the weight? Of course it's hard to wrap my head around that concept but do understand i need to fuel the fire sorta speak. On a whole I am eating pretty clean and my thought with as big as i am and what little i am eating compared to the 2536 a day it says for maintenance (although i will say I am never hungry) I should be dropping the pounds like no mans business LOL... :bigsmile: I don't expect to lose the 100lbs overnight but I feel like I get such mixed messages on how much I should and shouldn't eat.... too many differences of opinions.

Cause you're not eating enough. If 1775 is your recommended caloric intake, try that for 3 weeks and see what the results are. I had mine low (because that's what MFP told me to do) and when I changed to the TDEE, I found I wasn't as hungry, which meant I wasn't overeating. I've been struggling the last three weeks, so I'm not the model for anything right now, though.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wow...a year later and still the same exact advice

Don't you know that you have to change your diet every 3 months....oh wait, no you don't, you just have to eat the appropriate calories relevant to the calories you burn to meet your goal

Magic :bigsmile:

I will add though that a cut from TDEE should give exactly the same numbers as the MFP allowance plus exercise calories (well 50-75% exercise calories) if set to the same weight loss goal
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yep. It's still the same-o same-o when it comes to weight loss because essentially our bodies haven't changed for thousands of years. Now marketing...................that's evolved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Veil5577 wrote: »
    So simple, isn't it... and yet so hard to do sometimes.

Laugh.

So true.. once you get in routine it is quite simple really.

• kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    Would someone please explain how to calculate TDEE please?

Here is a website

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump