(pictured with me)
He was 5 weeks in the pic...
He'll be 7 weeks when I get him.
American Bull Mastiff....

Now question:
1.How do you house train them.

I've been told "rub their nose in it."
"Swat them with a rolled up newspaper."

2. What are some good books to read about care, training, etc?

I've worked a lot around the house and yard to make ready for him.
Just would like some advice, please.

edt to add....
I had a Rottweiler about 15 yrs ago....he was an outside dog.
I want Bobby to be an inside dog irregardless of his size...
Thanks

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    No, you don't swat them or rub their noses in it. They are babies who don't know better.

Crate training is the best way to housetrain a puppy. When you can't have your eyes directly on the puppy, he goes in the crate. The crate should not be huge, or else he'll start going potty in it. Puppies need to go out to potty immediately after eating, waking up and playing. They can generally hold it for 1 hour per month of age, plus one. So an 8 week old puppy can go a max of 3 hours between potty breaks. At first, you'll need to get up during the night to get him out a couple of times, though within a month or so, he'll probably be able to make it overnight.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options
    No, negative reinforcement does not work so well. Best thing you can do is take him out often and praise him up big when he goes outside. Times they usually have to go, first thing in the morning, right after eating, after playing hard, waking up from a nap. If you catch him starting to go, just say "No, let's go outside", then when he goes outside praise him big. Use your happy voice! :smile:

If you can find a puppy class nearby that would be worth it to attend. They will help you with basic training as well as let you socialize your dog with other dogs and people.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Negative reinforcement doesn't work. Crate training has worked pretty well for my dogs. Also, he is so freaking cute! :love:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my coworkers when they said "rub or hit."
    I just felt that to be wrong!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Options
    No, you don't swat them or rub their noses in it. They are babies who don't know better.

Crate training is the best way to housetrain a puppy. When you can't have your eyes directly on the puppy, he goes in the crate. The crate should not be huge, or else he'll start going potty in it. Puppies need to go out to potty immediately after eating, waking up and playing. They can generally hold it for 1 hour per month of age, plus one. So an 8 week old puppy can go a max of 3 hours between potty breaks. At first, you'll need to get up during the night to get him out a couple of times, though within a month or so, he'll probably be able to make it overnight.

I read that this breed doesn't do well in a crate or confined space??
    But your suggestion does make sense.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my coworkers when they said "rub or hit."
    I just felt that to be wrong!

It is wrong, and it won't teach him anything except to be scared of you. :(
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Please don't hit him :( Dogs don't know why you are hitting them most of the time and it's just mean. They are more reactive to your tone of voice, especially male voices. My dog doesn't listen to me as well as she listens to my husband, lol. But if you are going to be stern with him, you pretty much have to catch him in the act otherwise, again, he won't know what you're going on about.

Crate training is the way to go. If you Google it, you'll get a lot of info on how-to. Typically dogs don't go potty where they sleep, unless they have no other choice. The important thing is to take him outside every couple of hours to go potty and be aware and watchful of his behavior. If you see him sniffing around in circles, then he needs to go out. Also buy him a lot of toys so that he doesn't get bored and chew up your shoes. If people aren't home during the day to watch him, get him a doggy door so that he can go outside on his own. Otherwise you can't really blame him for going potty inside.

You can try the puppy pads, but my dogs never used them.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    training my dog I just took him out and gave praise while saying potty over n over while he did it outside.. When i would catch him about to lift his leg in the house i did a sharp loud OI! it startled him from the going through with the act and i would take him out to do it where he is supposed to
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I read that this breed doesn't do well in a crate or confined space??
    But your suggestion does make sense.

We've trained several mastiffs and they did fine in crates. You can buy one with a divider in it that you can move to accommodate his fast growth.
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    training my dog I just took him out and gave praise while saying potty over n over while he did it outside..

This is a good point. My dog knows the command "go pee" and she'll pee when we tell her to.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I disapprove of your using the word "irregardless" in your OP.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Options
    Thanks....I'm at work.
    I'll keep checking in.
    The crate thing sounds perfect!
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    training my dog I just took him out and gave praise while saying potty over n over while he did it outside.. When i would catch him about to lift his leg in the house i did a sharp loud OI! it startled him from the going through with the act and i would take him out to do it where he is supposed to

This. And just understand that you'll be spending a lot of time, following the puppy around for a few months, ready to swoop in and grab him and running for the door. Great excitement over an outside pee does wonders.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    1) I think we have established that negative reinforcement does nothing. It can create issues later down the road. I have trained many dogs as an animal shelter employee. One great way to establish proper house training is to have set times when you take your puppy outside to do business. Give plenty of praise, and promptly bring your dog back in when the deed is done. If he has an accident, clean it up and move on. Continue with set times to use the bathroom. Your dog will learn to recognize that going outside to use the restroom is best. Another great tool is a bell that you can hang on the door that leads outside. You ring it every time your take your dog to go potty. This will teach your dog that the sound means it is time to use the restroom. Eventually, your dog will ring the bell himself before going out.

Here is the link for the poochie bells: http://poochie-pets.net/poochiebells-2/

Crate training works amazingly for some dogs, and horribly for others. Large breed dogs tend to do least well with crate training. If you decide to crate train your puppy, make sure you let your dog know the crate is not a punishment tool, not a potty pad, and a not a place they can go to hide. It should be a place for comfort and sleep, and nothing else.

I have a ton of great links and such I can give you if you'd like to just pm me, congrats on your new furbaby!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Options
    I disapprove of your using the word "irregardless" in your OP.

Now I'm sad....
    I just wanted to suggest that I'm aware of his size and don't mind having a large breed in my house.
    As compared to a little poodle, etc.:flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I would consider researching (whether through books or free online resources) about potty training and such. Also, consider registering for training classes as soon as he is old enough and has all his shots, including his bordatello.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    As much as people may be against it, check out PetSmart. They offer a "training" course where you go in and a trainer helps you train your dog. You do the work, but it helps you get an understanding of how to handle the dog too. Works pretty well.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The last time I trained a puppy, it was the 80's and we watched a lot of PBS, so it was all about The Barbara Woodhouse Way. Her terminology required us to say "go quickie" to encourage our dog to pee or poo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Woodhouse
  • Cliffslosinit
    Options
    As much as people may be against it, check out PetSmart. They offer a "training" course where you go in and a trainer helps you train your dog. You do the work, but it helps you get an understanding of how to handle the dog too. Works pretty well.

Thanks
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    As much as people are saying, "don't stick their noses in it", I've seen it work. My dad did it ONE TIME with my dog and she never pooped in the house again.

I agree with a training course, though. My folks did that with their first dog and he was a saint (from what I hear).