New puppy.....Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Puppies are like having babies, so be prepared for lots of accidents.

To house train him, pay close attention to his cues (all dogs have them but they aren't always the same) and respond to them. Keep a close eye on him and take him outside often.

With my dog -- she was an adult when I found her -- I gave her a treat every time she did her business outside. She learned in two weeks.

Don't rub puppy's nose in it or hit puppy with a newspaper. That won't teach puppy anything except that you're kind of mean.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about crate training. But my puppy would completely freak out when she was in the crate so I never used it. At night she was sleep on my bed and I would take her out a few times a night. During the day I would gate her in the kitchen with puppy pads. The first few days she just tore them up, but got the idea and used them. If she had an accident while I was gone, it was easy to clean the kitchen and she only had a small area.

I always took her out the same door into the backyard and after about 2 weeks she got in the habit of going by the door and sitting to go out. By the time she was 12 weeks she didn't have any accidents while we were home. By the time she was 4 month she stopped gong in the house all together. Once she stopped chewing she got free roam of the house during the day.

Congrats on the new addition, he looks like a sweetie.

Let me add.... training, training, training. Find a good local dog trainer, it's never too early.

ETA: I used Petsmart for my Labradoodle and it was awesome, but trainers vary there like any where else so your mileage may be different.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    1) I think we have established that negative reinforcement does nothing. It can create issues later down the road. I have trained many dogs as an animal shelter employee. One great way to establish proper house training is to have set times when you take your puppy outside to do business. Give plenty of praise, and promptly bring your dog back in when the deed is done. If he has an accident, clean it up and move on. Continue with set times to use the bathroom. Your dog will learn to recognize that going outside to use the restroom is best. Another great tool is a bell that you can hang on the door that leads outside. You ring it every time your take your dog to go potty. This will teach your dog that the sound means it is time to use the restroom. Eventually, your dog will ring the bell himself before going out.

Here is the link for the poochie bells: http://poochie-pets.net/poochiebells-2/

Crate training works amazingly for some dogs, and horribly for others. Large breed dogs tend to do least well with crate training. If you decide to crate train your puppy, make sure you let your dog know the crate is not a punishment tool, not a potty pad, and a not a place they can go to hide. It should be a place for comfort and sleep, and nothing else.

I have a ton of great links and such I can give you if you'd like to just pm me, congrats on your new furbaby!

The way I did was, I used an adjustable crate with a blanket over it and kept making it bigger as he grew, if you give them too much space they will use the corner as a bathroom. He is 70lbs and didn't like it at first, it actually made me feel terrible locking him in there for periods of time and he would just cry. The crate was his safe place, if I yelled at him or he did something bad he would retreat there. If he goes in there, don't acknowledge it, even if he just pooped on your couch. It has to remain a completely safe and happy place.

He's 5 now and still uses it to sleep and if there are fireworks or thunder, I just removed the door.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    When I got my first puppy 5 yrs ago. Before I got her I read "Puppies for Dummies". That book helped me a lot with how to pick the best breed for our family, puppy dispositions and personalites in the litter that best suited our family and potty training and much more.

Take them straightway outside when:

First thing in the morning when you wake up
    After they play
    30 mins after eating or drinking

We crate trained our dogs. Take them out every hour when the are really young puppies

Excessive praise when they go outside. I gave mine a treat when they went poo. I still do and she is 5 yrs old and the other is almost 2 yrs old.

I have 2 dogs now

Shih Tzu Marley 5yrs
    Samoyed Mila almost 2ys.

The don't stay in the crate anymore and they were quite demanding when they had enough of staying the crate. They have the run of the house and we have absolutely no problems with either of them.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    No, you don't swat them or rub their noses in it. They are babies who don't know better.

Crate training is the best way to housetrain a puppy. When you can't have your eyes directly on the puppy, he goes in the crate. The crate should not be huge, or else he'll start going potty in it. Puppies need to go out to potty immediately after eating, waking up and playing. They can generally hold it for 1 hour per month of age, plus one. So an 8 week old puppy can go a max of 3 hours between potty breaks. At first, you'll need to get up during the night to get him out a couple of times, though within a month or so, he'll probably be able to make it overnight.

This a million times over. We almost always had a puppy in the house growing up and they were all crate trained this exact way. Works like a charm.

The puppy phase...ugh. They are SO ADORABLE...but grueling work. Those first few months, getting up through the night to take them out and having to be hyper vigilant at all times, timing meals and potty breaks and play time and potty breaks and socialization (which can not be stressed enough - proper socialization is SO important). I loved it - and congratulations, I totally don't want to sound like a downer because puppies are awesome...but I'm so over puppies for ever. I'm sold on adopting older dogs from the pound. You save a life, you know what the dog is going to look like, how big it's going to be, its temperament, etc. Puppies are like a total crap shoot, you have no idea what you're going to end up with, you can only look at the parents and hope it's like that and do your best with training and socialization.

Anyway - I can still remember back to before I was all jaded and that new puppy excitement. They are adorable and will bring so much joy. Congrats and enjoy the heck out of every funny cuddly snuggly puppy moment - and take LOTS of photos - they grow up so fast! And remember - POSITIVE reinforcement. Puppies thrive on your love and approval - so give it to them every time they get it right... try to ignore the "bad" stuff, don't draw attention to it...especially potty mistakes. Just quietly clean it up (and thoroughly with enzyme stuff so they can't smell it anymore) and move on, pretend it didn't happen. A loud "NO!" should really only ever be used to stop them from doing something potentially dangerous - like chewing cords. Everything else should be quiet. Like...catch him chewing on your favorite sandals...bring over another much more awesome toy and make a quick trade - once he starts chewing on the much more awesome toy - tons of praise, maybe a treat, and just make sure to keep anything you love off the floor...cuz puppies chew and can't really tell the difference between a tug toy and your favorite sneakers.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    No, you don't swat them or rub their noses in it. They are babies who don't know better.

Crate training is the best way to housetrain a puppy. When you can't have your eyes directly on the puppy, he goes in the crate. The crate should not be huge, or else he'll start going potty in it. Puppies need to go out to potty immediately after eating, waking up and playing. They can generally hold it for 1 hour per month of age, plus one. So an 8 week old puppy can go a max of 3 hours between potty breaks. At first, you'll need to get up during the night to get him out a couple of times, though within a month or so, he'll probably be able to make it overnight.

Rewarding him when he goes to the bathroom outside can also help with this process. It helps him understand that you specifically want him to reserve his movements for the outdoors.

Still, you'll want to buy some Resolve and a few packs of paper towels.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

This 100% ^^^ worked very well for me.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options

I read that this breed doesn't do well in a crate or confined space??
    But your suggestion does make sense.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a crate, but they generally won't go where they sleep and eat unless they really can't hold it any longer. Start with a small space for them and gradually grow their area to roam as they mature. This with the other advise given above and the rest will come naturally.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never hit a puppy, that kind of negative reinforcement will do nothing to help the pup learn anything... You need to set a schedule so the dog learns certain times that it will go out to use the restroom and reinforce that with treat and some praise... We have had no less than 5 dogs in our household for the last 30 years and they hardly ever have accidents they have learned where the restroom is (fenced in dog run) and will come sit down by one of us and bark or make a sound to let us know... Besides that, they go out first thing upon waking up and again at lunch time and then immediately after there canned supper... I would highly suggest crate training from the first time you bring them in the house.. They will immediately be drawn to the crate as their safe place. We have also put all of our dogs through puppy school and CGC (canine good citizen) training programs. The puppy school teaches them social skills being around other dogs and people and CGC just further trains them in the basics of leash walking, sit/stay, etc. And it is also good for the dog owners to learn these basic skills...

After graduation from puppy school we put them in daycare atleast once a week to continue that socializing. They absolutely loved going..... Not saying all this is a must but we believe it has helped in shaping the behavior..... Best of Luck
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Ralphie and I am 8 months old. This is all great advice these humans are giving you. Remember that when you go to puppy training, the trainers are training YOU to relate to me in the best ways possible. I love you every time I see you and I want to please you so love me back by getting training to relate to me in terms I understand.

Yip!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Ralphie and I am 8 months old. This is all great advice these humans are giving you. Remember that when you go to puppy training, the trainers are training YOU to relate to me in the best ways possible. I love you every time I see you and I want to please you so love me back by getting training to relate to me in terms I understand.

Yip!

Lol. I love this.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    training my dog I just took him out and gave praise while saying potty over n over while he did it outside..

This is a good point. My dog knows the command "go pee" and she'll pee when we tell her to.

My dog knows "go pee" also, though, I usually only have to use it when its raining. She hates the rain.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I read that this breed doesn't do well in a crate or confined space??
    But your suggestion does make sense.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a crate, but they generally won't go where they sleep and eat unless they really can't hold it any longer. Start with a small space for them and gradually grow their area to roam as they mature. This with the other advise given above and the rest will come naturally.

I agree. Also, feed him in his crate for this very reason. They don't like to eliminate where they eat and sleep. Plus it makes them look forward to going into the crate (or whatever area you have set up for them).
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
    You guys and gals are great!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Oh lord....I would NOT by any means recommend swatting!!!!!! I have learned from my own experience as I once too thought this was "how to potty train". When my pup would tinkle, I would give him a LIGHT swat and put him in the back yard....what did that do? Caused him to pee even more because now he was afraid and being submissive! He then had a big problem with submissive wetting. From then on he never received any type of swat/nose rubbing/yelling/etc. When he would tinkle/poo all I would do is say his name firmly and tell him to go to bed (the crate). No yelling. No swatting. When he used the bathroom outside, I would shower him with praise and a treat sometimes, he was just so happy to see he did something good. He got potty trained and no longer has a submissive wetting issue, I think a gentle approach is key!
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    We've had a puppy and rescue adult dog. Like most above praise when they do it right. First thing in the morning last thing at night etc etc. (if you catch them in the act get them outside as soon as possible) :laugh: plenty of wipes. I would recommend sprinkling washing powered on and accidents - makes it a bit easier to clean, then a good spray with disinfectant - if they can't smell the pervious site they are less likely to do back to it. If you have a frequent accident sites I find a good sprinkle of black pepper (on the site not the dog !) a good deterrent