How did you overcome anxiety of running in public?

Options
124»

Replies

• Shanshoo
    Shanshoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started running not too long ago, thanks to Vibram Five Fingers (couldn't maintain a real run for over 10min with running shoes due to some previous injuries, but VFF allows me to so I'm damn right happy) and T25 (after 7 months, my ankle and knee muscles are much stronger).

At first I was worried everyone would be looking at me. I run in a crowded spot, at lunch time when everyone is just walking around or running. + I was wearing those weird shoes and clothes a bit too large for me (I lost over 20lbs and as I'm still losing I don't buy new clothes every week, lol). And I was definitely not a fit runner, starting with intervals, some work colleague even made fun of it at first.

But then I remembered that, before I started running, when I was walking, I never thought: look at this fat girl trying to run, or look at this wannabe who's so out of breath she looks like she's going to collapse.. No, everytime I thought: good for her/him, he/she's actually working to improve her/his health or trying to lose those killer-pounds, way to go. Always better than those who complain in front of their tv. Or I was jealous of the legs of some long-time runners :P.

We all start somewhere. And I also noticed that other runners, just like me, don't care about what the others do. I have my music on, and I concentrate on what I'm doing. I don't look at what others do, and once in a while I exchange nods or hellos with fellow runners. + I was soooo happy to start running again without any pain that I couldn't care less what people were thinking at this point.

Remember that those who have time looking at what you do have nothing better to do, and they're probably too lazy to get their *kitten* up anyway. I didn't care about my colleague's comment, she's fat, doesn't exercise, eats crap, then do extreme diets for 1-2 weeks before going back to McDonald's. I may not be the best runner, but at least I have the guts to kick my *kitten* and get there.

Do it for you. In a few months, when you look back, you'll be so proud of yourself. When you get too anxious and think about going back, visualize where you'll be and what you will look like a few months ahead, and push harder.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I started out at night.
  • Ballistyx
    Ballistyx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Think that's bad? Try being an overweight guy on a road bike wearing bike shorts (Spandex). At first I used to be self-conscious and I'd get people shouting either put downs or obscenities at me, but now I just taunt the taunters back.

Once a woman slowed down to yell out the window at me "HEY, NICE TIGHTS!!". My response? "HEY THANKS! MY BUTT LOOKS BETTER IN SPANDEX THAN YOURS DOES!". :D

Personally I stopped giving a crap what people think. Everybody is judgmental these days (even though they say they aren't). It used to bother me but the way I see it now is you can't waste energy thinking about what others think. If anything, when someone shouts something obscene to me, it just motivates me more (and if they're a special kind of idiot, I shout back to them. :D ).
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    start out slow, go out for short periods of time and take side streets and less busy streets. Eventually your comfort level will improve as your running improves. Lots of people don't care about what you're doing. Will some people glance in your direction from time to time, yes, but that's not always a bad thing. It adds motivation for you to keep going. Plus there have been times where people actually smile at me, cheer me on etc. People can be rude but you get that everywhere in life. People can also be very kind and encouraging. So just remember that you're doing this for you and that people do want to see you succeed. And those who don't well too damn bad for them. You got this! Once you start running you'll forget all about the people around you!
  • corehawk
    corehawk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Unless you are live streaming your run to their facebook they won't see you anyway. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the 'blue glow' on drivers headed to work on early morning runs. I know they aren't updating MFP diaries!
  • MisterKinsey
    MisterKinsey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh in on this one more time ... just to share an event that happened today while I was out riding. I went out this morning just as folks were getting out of Sunday morning services so I anticipated good vibes from everyone. I was riding on a heavily traveled road when a car came by and the passenger shouted at me, "Why don't you get your fat *kitten* off the road?"

Karma being what it is, found me pulling up to the intersection where the gentleman's car was stopped for the light. I looked at the passenger and laughed out loud. He was the size of a bus. I nodded at him and said, "Nice day for a ride." His face flushed a bright red, the light changed, and I moved on.

It isn't every day that you get to see instant karma but when you do, it sure is glorious.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    One of the great things about getting older is that you don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks anymore. And you also realize that no one ever really did because they were all worried about what YOU thought of THEM.

People live too much in their own head. Get out of your head and live.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    here is no way to say it any other way, truth is , no one else really gives a goot about what you are doing, if they look at you its in passing and if they say anything other than hi thats rare , TRUTH- no one cares, you get out there, you do what you do and give it all you got , because theres noone else inside your skin that it matters too except you .

EDITED for clarification
    I am currently 230 lbs, my body has been made by babies, i have flat boobs floppy arms and a mommy apron , but 2x a week i put on spandex pants and go to the roller rink to skate, and the ladies that are already on the team a sick good skaters, and i want to be like them someday, but for now its all on my , own self to get better stronger and last longer..
    you can do it .
  • MisterKinsey
    MisterKinsey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One of the great things about getting older is that you don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks anymore. And you also realize that no one ever really did because they were all worried about what YOU thought of THEM.

Amen! I had an amazing transformation when I hit 60 (I'll be 63 in December). I realized that I no longer gave a flying crap about impressing anyone. My basic philosophy is, "if you don't like the way I look, avert your eyes." I know I'm not the stud muffin I was in college or even the attractive middle aged guy I used to be. I just don't care. By saying that, I'm not saying that I don't care about myself, I'm just saying that I care more about learning something new each day and taking care of myself and family.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I just kept doing it and eventually I started thinking of it as motivating someone as they drive by in their cars. I still think of it this way. I get waves and smiles all the time. (from girls too) Just tell yourself you are someone's inspriration and JUST DO IT