Murad Research Labs Busts “Eight Glasses a Day” Myth

Options

Replies

• lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Unless you are strenuously working outdoors all day in 30C weather you don't need 8 glasses of water. You actually get a third of your daily water requirement from the solid food you eat-a well done steak is still something like 20% water!
    The 'eight glasses of water a day' mumo-jumbo was created by bottled water companies in the late 80's-early90's to help sell their product, people fell for it, and it's unfortunate that fitness sites like mfp still promote that myth.
  • Ironshef
    Options
    ...without using an app to tell them when to drink, breathe, fart, yawn...

Well damn.

/uninstall BreatheMeter
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Murad is a skincare company. I'm sure the point of this "study" is to show that it's futile to get hydrated skin from drinking water, you must instead buy Murad's new magical super-hydrating skincare line, otherwise you will look old.

It's not that you can't trust "scientists" now. Scientists have been working for investors with ulterior motives since the beginning. What you can't trust is how the media reports on studies. One study does not make a scientific fact. It takes years of multiple studies done by diverse groups drilling down through peer review and differing subjects and focuses to even approach proving anything. But no one seems to learn about the scientific process anymore, so when their homepage shows a link to a web reporter's two paragraph story about one study, they think science is stupid :grumble:
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who drinks when they're thirsty? I keep track, but I don't cling to OMG MUST HAZ 64 OZ. H2O OR DEATHS HAPPEN.

I am right there with you.

Thank goodness for the proof!! Now I can finally stop OMG-ing too!! I'm so grateful that my 63 oz yesterday was sufficient. WHEW!!!!!!

Go run!

Really, she just needs to break up.
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I drink the "recommended" amount of water daily, it isn't so much the benefit of losing weight that I like... It's the fact that when I do that, my joints don't seem to hurt as bad. I care not about what "study" shows it is fact or myth. I go by how it makes me feel physically. How can drinking that water NOT benefit a person? Fills the empty spot in your forever going hunger when you don't need to eat at that moment.

That being said. Do what ya wanna do..
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Am I the only person who drinks when they're thirsty? I keep track, but I don't cling to OMG MUST HAZ 64 OZ. H2O OR DEATHS HAPPEN.

Thank goodness for the proof!! Now I can finally stop OMG-ing too!! I'm so grateful that my 63 oz yesterday was sufficient. WHEW!!!!!!

Go run!

:flowerforyou:
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Kidney stones here. I drink lots of water.
    Options

Go run!

Really, she just needs to break up.

Really, I just need to start an 8 bunches of celery movement. I find if I eat celery all day like a rabbit, I have adequate H2O.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I knew my low intake of water wasn't causing me problems.....thanks for the proof!

LOL...you consider some rando posting whatever on the internet with zero sources, etc to be "proof"? Do you fall for pretty much anything and everything that comes down the pipe?

The whole 8 glasses of water per day thing was always just a guideline...there never was a "rule" per sei...IMHO, there's no myth to bust in the first place. Hydration is important and 8 glasses of water is a reasonable goal to keep one hydrated...which again is what is important, not getting exactly 64 ounces of water or whatever.
    But the actual point is that you get a lot of your 'required' water intake from the foods you eat and the other drinks you would have anyway....drinking an additional 8 glasses of water may be excessive! I do apologise for using the word 'proof'....I had no idea my sense of humour would cause such an avalanche of bitter comments. Do I have to type LOL after everything I write? LOL
    The part in bold highlights a misconception about liquid intake ... that it must be an additional eight glasses of water on top of what a person already consumes. It's those types of misconceptions that make it possible for Dr. Murad to do misleading studies based upon a half truth ... present no controls ... then run off to sell more books and skin care products (what he really does for a living).

The reality is that the net hydration difference between a glass of water and a Coke isn't that significant ... the caloric and sugar intakes are. From a weight loss perspective ... trading six Cokes (12oz cans) for nine glasses of water is a 840 calorie reduction for the same 72 oz of liquid intake.

I think what people saying we aren't surprised by the study or found the 8 glasses thing pointless are reacting to is the dieting conventional wisdom that one sees all over MFP that 64 oz is essential and must be water, that other liquids are inferior, that more is better, etc. it's kind of like the 6 mini meals to jump start the metabolism annoyance.

I don't see what the calories in non diet soda has to do with it. No one is saying coke and water are identical in all respects. People here comment on diaries for having inadequate water or argue that juice, diet soda, coffee shouldn't count all the time.

Personally, I trust my body to know when I'm thirsty and it seems to be reasonably competent at this, perhaps because hydration is so readily available.

Claiming there is a "conventional wisdom" on MFP is a stretch ... especially one that conflicts with the majority opinion in every what counts as water for logging thread here.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do people claiming that they benefit from forcing themselves to drink a certain amount of water believe that they would be under hydrated if they didn't? Or is it that you'd get the hydration from some other source? I drink more water than I used to because I've tried to cut down on diet soda and coffee (caffeine, not dieting), but whatever the source I always drank lots or grabbed a piece of fruit because I wanted something juicy and feel no different when I drink water instead of diet soda or flavored or carbonated waters (coffee has other effects). I never force myself to drink because I always am, I have a beverage by me at work all day, and the idea of forcing down a particular amount of water or liquid rather than going by desire or seems odd, perhaps because I'm always drink lots naturally. I end up giving myself 8 cups on an average day, 9 if I had extra, in my diary, just because I know I always have at least 64 oz of liquid and find comments on water intake annoying, but I don't count it and find the comments in the does x count as water threads that people force themselves to drink as if the number of cups mattered that much odd. Your urine will indicate if you are properly hydrated, and I'd be surprised if most weren't, but maybe I'm just weird in that I have a low tolerance for thirst.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Me three! I think I upset the guys who have been force feeding themselves water for the last .... years because they believed what they read on the internet about having to have 8 glasses of water a day. Pale yellow wee-wee means you are sufficiently hydrated.....but mine is pink at the moment because I love eating my home-grown beetroot.

FWIW, that "8 glasses of water a day" advice has long been known to be bunk. however, measuring hydration levels based solely on what a person drinks is missing a huge part of the equation... food can contain a great deal of water as well. if my diet consisted of large quantities of rice, pasta, and watermelon, my hydration levels would be fine regardless of how many or how few glasses of water i drank per day. :huh:

BTW, i've never in my life tracked how much water i consume. i don't even log diet soda (what's the point? it's 0 calories)... and yet, i've managed to survive for 46+ years just fine. :wink:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Claiming there is a "conventional wisdom" on MFP is a stretch ... especially one that conflicts with the majority opinion in every what counts as water for logging thread here.

Okay, granted, but in the "what counts as water" threads you get a LOT of people insisting that nothing but water should count. That even decaf tea is somehow magically not liquid that matters, because the additions make the water not count or some such.

And of course there's the little counter, and the fact that whenever a diary is reviewed where the person doesn't count you get numerous people insisting that the person must not be losing weight due to inadequate water. I also see other various posts along those lines (more water is always better, super kudos for people logging high amounts), and goal setting and fitness challenges that include counting and drinking a certain amount of water (often assuming if 64 oz is good, more is better, which is NOT always true).

But you are correct that there's no real MFP conventional wisdom (and the 6 mini meal thing certainly isn't it). I guess I'm reacting more to pop diet advice and the things listed above.
  • mchlsmit
    mchlsmit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Most people need more water than 8 glasses a day to lose weight and stay hydrated. Yellow wee = dehydrated. Light straw coloured or clear wee = hydrated. Don't use a single study that appears to be unrelated to weight loss to justify your lack of drinking enough water. Alcohol, coffee, tea are stimulants that help dehydrate you. Coke, Pepsi and fruit juice won't hydrate you like water.

If you are serious about weight loss you will NEED to track your numbers and that includes how much water you drink. 2 to 3 litres a day on average and sometimes more especially if you work out, it's hot outside, etc.

It's really hard to drink too much water (but not impossible) so drink up!
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Most people need more water than 8 glasses a day to lose weight and stay hydrated. Yellow wee = dehydrated. Light straw coloured or clear wee = hydrated. Don't use a single study that appears to be unrelated to weight loss to justify your lack of drinking enough water. Alcohol, coffee, tea are stimulants that help dehydrate you. Coke, Pepsi and fruit juice won't hydrate you like water.

If you are serious about weight loss you will NEED to track your numbers and that includes how much water you drink. 2 to 3 litres a day on average and sometimes more especially if you work out, it's hot outside, etc.

It's really hard to drink too much water (but not impossible) so drink up!

^ this is mostly incorrect broscience.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I knew my low intake of water wasn't causing me problems.....thanks for the proof!

This isn't proof. these are just words on the internet. If it told you that jumping off a cliff was good for your heath, would you be Googling the nearest cliff to jump off of?

Seriously.

Cite your sources. This sounds likea load of stinky poop to me.
    Honestly, what she posted isn't actually news. The medical community has said for decades that it isn't necessary to drink 8 glasses a day. I don't need cited sources in this case because this has been known to be a myth for a long, long, long, long time. There has never actually been any study proving we needed to drink 8 glasses a day.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I go by the color of my pee and how thirsty I am. I'm barely 95 pounds and can drink up 80 oz per day depending on my activity level but I only go to the bathroom about 4 times per day, not as many as 8 times!! Something must be terribly wrong with me if that research is true. lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do people claiming that they benefit from forcing themselves to drink a certain amount of water believe that they would be under hydrated if they didn't?

I actually do see a difference when I don't drink a certain amount every day. I wake up in the middle of the night parched and my upper lip gets super dry and splits. So I do try to drink a specific amount every day (water, tea, juice, whatever) because it works for me. But I also know what works for me is not necessarily going to be necessary for others. And how much I need to drink on a particular day is also tied to how much sodium I eat.
    Options
    It IS important to have eight hugs a day though. Everybody should have a hug app. on their smart phone to make sure they don't suffer from oxytocin withdrawal.

Now go hug someone:).

:drinker:
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Do people claiming that they benefit from forcing themselves to drink a certain amount of water believe that they would be under hydrated if they didn't?

I actually do see a difference when I don't drink a certain amount every day. I wake up in the middle of the night parched and my upper lip gets super dry and splits. So I do try to drink a specific amount every day (water, tea, juice, whatever) because it works for me. But I also know what works for me is not necessarily going to be necessary for others. And how much I need to drink on a particular day is also tied to how much sodium I eat.

the funniest thing about all of this to me is the folks who insist that you MUST track water intake so that you'll know whether you are sufficiently hydrated or not. the human body already has 2 very good mechanisms for telling us that. when you're thirsty, it's telling us to drink. when you're peeing every 5 minutes, it's telling us to stop drinking. :tongue:
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    the funniest thing about all of this to me is the folks who insist that you MUST track water intake so that you'll know whether you are sufficiently hydrated or not. the human body already has 2 very good mechanisms for telling us that. when you're thirsty, it's telling us to drink. when you're peeing every 5 minutes, it's telling us to stop drinking. :tongue:

Yeah ^ that!

If I'm thirsty, I drink. If I'm not, I'm not going to force myself.