Telling your significant other that they are gaining weight

Options
Would you tell your boyfriend or girlfriend that they are gaining weight? I would if I was in that situation as I work hard to stay in shape. If its few pounds then no big deal but if they start gaining and still not making effort to loose weight then I would .anyone ever been in the situation

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I go by the theory that if you need to ask the internet for relationship advice, you're doing it wrong anyway, so tell them what you like.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's a personal thing for each individual to deal with themselves. If they want to hear it, they'll ask.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I go by the theory that if you need to ask the internet for relationship advice, you're doing it wrong anyway, so tell them what you like.

LOL
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's a personal thing for each individual to deal with themselves. If they want to hear it, they'll ask.

Basically. Most people who have gained weight already know that and don't need someone telling them to see that. I'd encourage my S.O to be healthier with me, such as cooking healthy meals for us both and doing something active and fun together-hiking/biking/etc.....but I would not just tell him you've gained weight. Then again he acknowledges he has and has expressed a desire to change it. I've acknowledged my own too and am working on it and I certainly appreciate he doesn't feel the need to tell me something I already know and feel insecure about.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Just stay in shape yourself and they'll usually get on board.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I am married to an intelligent man....I am pretty sure he is aware of his weight & his body, as they are his! As are the decisions he makes about his weight & his body.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    nope
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I guess my feeling would be that, I love that person, no matter what there physical appearance is. Some healthy food suggestions would not be out of line, especially if it is for their well being. Wording is everything.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would tell my husband if he started gaining weight, and I could tell he wasn't at his peak. I would want him to do the same for me. If he just gained some weight, but didn't seem impacted by it, I wouldn't say anything.

I don't think it has to be tactless, I wouldn't sit him down and say "Hey lard-o. Don't you think you've had enough donuts for the night?" more like "Baby, I have noticed that you have had less energy lately. I started noticing it after you gained a bit of weight. Hey, we're both getting older- it happens! If you're happy with yourself, then I am happy. But, if you aren't then I want to help you make the changes that you want to make to become happier with yourself."
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My husband has developed a pot belly, I do the cooking so I don't need to say anything. I simply have to start serving him less, as neither of us eats outside of meals. He's eating too much because I make it and he will eat it.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have never not known I was overweight, and I really never needed anyone to remind me. I'm sure your significant other is smart enough to know he is gaining weight, so why tell him/her?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Yeah...ummm...don't tell them. They know. Just make sure you guys have healthy meals. Maybe invite them to join you in physical activities. Harping on it or bringing it up will just hurt your relationship Your partner isn't going to do anything unless they are ready and want to.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Telling them would be rude and hurtful to the relationship. They already know what is going on in their own body. Telling them is treating them like they are stupid.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Would you tell your boyfriend or girlfriend that they are gaining weight? I would if I was in that situation as I work hard to stay in shape. If its few pounds then no big deal but if they start gaining and still not making effort to loose weight then I would .anyone ever been in the situation

Can I point out your spelling errors?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Just stay in shape yourself and they'll usually get on board.

This. Ever since I've been vocal about my MFP plans (e.g. him: "Want to go to Taco Bell for dinner?", me: "Yes, I have enough calories to get my usual", etc) slowly, but surely he has been making small steps in the right direction (he's not counting calories, but he's making better decisions and has lost some weight) . It doesn't have to be the only thing you talk about, but just slip it into conversation once in a while.
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    If my bf gains weight it's probably my fault for feeding him too much anyway, I would just start cooking healthier food for him lol.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Hell no , I ain't about to get the crap beat out of me . :laugh: :laugh:
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nope and in the words of Tigg_er - I would beat the crap out of him if he dared tell me I was gaining weight. :bigsmile:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Nope. If she asked me for help, I'd help her, but I wouldn't be pointing out gained weight. Like an adult needs someone to point it out.