When MFP pals' diaries reveal problems...

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
Any thought's on how to make constructive comments on someone's diary when you see them doing something wrong or dangerous?

I don't mean enforcing fat on low-fat dieters, or carbs on low-carb ones. I mean people who consistently eat below 800 calories, or who log about that much normally then boost their total with a 'quick cals' of undefined (and possibly non-existent) content (closet anorexic) ?

I'm worried about someone I follow who is essentially living on bread and water, with an occasional side-order of food. They are hitting their calorie targets but cannot be getting anywhere near the appropriate micronutrients--especially amino acids and essential omega-3's.

How do you approach someone about changing their habits around here in a way that they will actually listen to you?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I click the "Remove Friend" button and let them be someone else's problem. But I rarely go looking around other peoples' stuff unless I know they did something awesome that day and really pigged out.
  • xxval21xx
    xxval21xx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think the best way is to contact that person directly in a private message and find out what his/her goals are and suggest options on how they can achieve them. They wont see it as aggressive and wont feel like your attacking them and saying they are doing it wrong
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I click the "Remove Friend" button and let them be someone else's problem. But I rarely go looking around other peoples' stuff unless I know they did something awesome that day and really pigged out.

This - though I suggest eating more a couple of times first.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Did the person ask for your advice?
  • goneundone
    goneundone Posts: 38 Member
    Options

This.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This - though I suggest eating more a couple of times first.

All of this.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Exactly. You may find yourself in a rather unpleasant situation if you offer unwanted advice to another adult. I do understand your concern, but I really don't think it's your place to say anything about it out of the blue like that.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Depends.

In my case due to medications I was taking, I was not eating nearly enough food. If not for a good friend here making a comment, I would have just kept going without thought to the detriment of my health.

If you want to make a nasty remark about birthday cake for a celebration, no. If the friend is complaining that they cannot lose weight even though they are 'eating perfectly' a kind reminder that the piece of cake may have been bigger than they think!

Depends on the person
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

The most important question here.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Theyll see that you posted this about them and probably remove you.
    Won't be a problem then.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    are you sure that they're logging everything they're eating? When I log my food, I usually can't be bothered to actually log my last meal of the day, because my diary is there to tell me how many calories, protein etc to eat, not to be a public display. So it quite often looks like I'm regularly eating around 1200 cals/day when really I'm eating more like 1800 cals/day when cutting (I don't track at all when bulking or maintaining). It's open to friends in case anyone wants any ideas for meals etc or even just to snoop/pry... I really don't care so long as they're not going to give me a ton of unsolicited advice. I do remind my friends list from time to time that numbers in the diary =/= calories eaten all the time. But I would check that it's not a case of inconsistent logging, not bothering to log final meals, or anything along those lines before either unfriending or saying anything that implies they're starving themselves. And inconsistent logging may not be a deliberate choice... logging food can be a difficult habit to get into, so don't assume that inadequate looking food diaries means someone's starving themselves - maybe they''re forgetting to log stuff. If you do decide to confront this person, first check that they're logging everything the eat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    are you sure that they're logging everything they're eating? When I log my food, I usually can't be bothered to actually log my last meal of the day, because my diary is there to tell me how many calories, protein etc to eat, not to be a public display. So it quite often looks like I'm regularly eating around 1200 cals/day when really I'm eating more like 1800 cals/day when cutting (I don't track at all when bulking or maintaining). It's open to friends in case anyone wants any ideas for meals etc or even just to snoop/pry... I really don't care so long as they're not going to give me a ton of unsolicited advice. I do remind my friends list from time to time that numbers in the diary =/= calories eaten all the time. But I would check that it's not a case of inconsistent logging, not bothering to log final meals, or anything along those lines before either unfriending or saying anything that implies they're starving themselves. And inconsistent logging may not be a deliberate choice... logging food can be a difficult habit to get into, so don't assume that inadequate looking food diaries means someone's starving themselves - maybe they''re forgetting to log stuff. If you do decide to confront this person, first check that they're logging everything the eat.

This.

And also, when I quick add it's real food that I ate.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Theyll see that you posted this about them and probably remove you.
    Won't be a problem then.

Agreed! Instead of giving advice privately, that the person can choose to pay attention to, why not write a topic in a public forum ? :noway:
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I use the "quick cals" feature quite often when I'm logging in something that isn't in the database. I don't have enough time to sit down and add a food that isn't already entered by someone else. So it is unfair to say that just because they used this feature that they really didn't eat those calories.

I would say that if it bothers you this much that this person is eating 800 calories a day then you may want to unfriend them, unless you know them in real life. Then it is a whole other problem entirely.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    my diary reveals impulsiveness, ritualistic behavior, and two fist fulls of bad choices
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    my diary reveals impulsiveness, ritualistic behavior, and two fist fulls of bad choices

Sounds entertaining. Can I watch?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    But, when I am concerned, I send a thoughful pm. They clear it up for me. If it's a full blown destructive eating disorder with no end in sight, I unfriend.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with sending out a concerned message for a friend. Don't really agree with the 'Butt out of it' logic. Then when the person's anorexic everyone asks why no one said anything to slap some sense into them before it got too serious :grumble:

However a PM would've solved the issue rather than a public post which she and everyone else will see.:noway:
    If they're reaching their calorie goal it's possible they're logging calories but not entering their food.
  • crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Sounds entertaining. Can I watch?

^^This. I'd love to see what impulsiveness, ritualistic behavior and 2 fist fulls of bad choices look like. Sounds like something I can get into =D
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason I don't close my diary.
This discussion has been closed.