Dr's Fat Shaming Caused Emotional Eating

Options

Replies

• ccm1912
    ccm1912 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    you win the internet for this post.

My kitty is chubby too,but otherwise healthy and happy. I say she's a BBW!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Fear not! Cats are starting to embrace their curves!
    draw-me-like-one-of-your-french-girls.jpg
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Clearly that doctor is untrained. Kitty weight and height is determined by box-fit. Your cat is in the medium sized priority mail box range. Totally acceptable.

If_It_Fits_I_Sits1.jpg
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Funny! But cats do not emotionally eat from a vet shaming them for being chubby. :)

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yup. Cleo's chubby.

Its a diabetes risk in cats, so you actually do need to take the vet seriously.

Costco currently has wild-caught frozen pacific small shrimp for $10/2 lbs, aka $5/lb.

The regular price for fancy feast at Nob Hill Foods where I live works out to $5.35/lb.

Shrimp has a lot lower calorie-density than cat food. Consider feeding your cat shrimp one meal a day to cut his calories without reducing his enjoyment of his food at all. (assuming he likes shrimp).

add: also makes a really nice salad for you if you take 3 oz on top of butter lettuce with cubed avocado, cubed mango, and raspberry balsamic vinaigrette.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Clearly that doctor is untrained. Kitty weight and height is determined by box-fit. Your cat is in the medium sized priority mail box range. Totally acceptable.

If_It_Fits_I_Sits1.jpg

Does this count?

10501701_10152558647918672_7022320869408302968_n.jpg
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Does this count?

Yes!

See, totally in the healthy cat BMI range. Perhaps you should have mentioned to the doctor that she exercises frequently by slaying monsters.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Cats are cuter when they are fat. I like big cats, and I cannot lie.

But seriously...every time I take my 3 obese cats to the vet, I'm the one being shamed.
  • Raynne413
    Options

But seriously...every time I take my 3 obese cats to the vet, I'm the one being shamed.

I think he was trying to shame me into buying their "diet" food. Seems they have a "diet" food that adjusts the cat's metabolism to match how much they are eating. I'm like, Uhm. . . why don't they have that for humans????
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah, kitty could stand to lose a few pounds, for health reasons already stated. But, she's found MFP, and is ready to begin her fitness journey. Tell her it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Have her check out the sexypants thread, and commit to eating clean. Does she know her TDEE and BMR numbers yet? Tell her to weigh all of her food, down to the last piece of kibble, and get a heart rate monitor for her exercise tracking.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, someone with both a cat and a fitbit has got to stick the fitbit on the cat's collar for a day and share the results! :laugh:
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, someone with both a cat and a fitbit has got to stick the fitbit on the cat's collar for a day and share the results! :laugh:

Steps taken 7AM-11PM: 19
    Calories burned: 2
    Steps taken 11PM-7AM: 2349875298
    Calories burned: JESUS CHRIST, THERE'S A MOTH IN THE HOUSE. DON'T WORRY, I GOT THIS!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

I think he was trying to shame me into buying their "diet" food. Seems they have a "diet" food that adjusts the cat's metabolism to match how much they are eating. I'm like, Uhm. . . why don't they have that for humans????

I tried the "diet" food. My cats just ate more of it. My grandma's cat was the fattest thing I have ever seen...it lived to almost 20. I'm not convinced that fat cats are unhealthy cats. And that's complete BS from the vet about "adjusting the cat's metabolism."
  • Raynne413
    Options

Calories burned: JESUS CHRIST, THERE'S A MOTH IN THE HOUSE. DON'T WORRY, I GOT THIS!

LMAO The moth thing is SOOOO her! She goes crazy when there is a bug in the house. Heck! If she would wear a collar, I'd be tempted to put my shine around her neck!!! SO funny!
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Written by a true cat owner! LOL
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    He was fat shaming and cat shaming!

8bkx9KV.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    From the responses on this thread, it seems that people have gotten so used to seeing obese cats everywhere that they no longer recognize a normal, healthy cat weight. I won't post my cat's pic here for fear she would be skinny-shamed...:wink:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Spherical cats are queen of the nights, singing at astronomical heights!
  • sharonnj398
    sharonnj398 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm twice the cat!

(Albert became a foster cat in rescue at 30 pounds. He's slimmed to 28 in eight weeks.)
  • Raynne413
    Options
    From the responses on this thread, it seems that people have gotten so used to seeing obese cats everywhere that they no longer recognize a normal, healthy cat weight. I won't post my cat's pic here for fear she would be skinny-shamed...:wink:

Awww. . . Now, don't go calling her obese! She's already upset!! :sad: