Will diet pills help?

Options

Replies

• gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If there was a magic pill, NO ONE would be overweight. I agree with what everyone else said.
    I do remember dexatrim and like Kalikel said it was like legal speed so forget sleep. And feeling anxious was no fun either. Yes, I tried it in my 20's. Notice it wasn't the answer. I am still doing this 30 years later!

"Alli supposedly works. I didn't try it. I wasn't taking the risk of pooping my pants to find out."- Quoting Kalikel again :smile:
    I know someone who tried it and had the poop leakage problem. Didn't lose a pound JUST his DIGNITY!!!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Hot off the presses of Dr. Oz website...

Research has shown that raspberry ketone can help in your weight-loss efforts, especially when paired with regular exercise and a well-balanced diet of healthy and whole foods.

I bolded the salient info for you.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Proper nutrition an exercise beats any gimmick every time. Trust me!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about what the pills you are talking about do but Carb blockers and Fat blockers do work. However what they do it effectively alter the macros you ingest. MFP allows you to do this yourself without the need for spending money :-)

Good luck
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If those things REALLY worked, the lines at the stores would be MILES long, they'd be thousands of dollars and on backorder forever.

Eat less/move more :)

Or there'd just be no fat people and buying raspberry ketones would be just like buying toothpaste or something. Cos many if not most of us have tried diet pills at some point or the other!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Virtually every diet pill that works is prescription only or has been pulled. Even the ones they pulled (I'm thinking of ephedra in particular) worked only for awhile. It would limit appetite and boost energy, but then after a few weeks you'd need more. Then more. Then even more, until either you gave up or you ended up taking way over the amount recommended on the bottle.

I may or may not know this from personal experience. I didn't do myself any favors by relying on pills to control my appetite instead of learning to eat foods that make me less hungry instead of more hungry after I'm done eating them. And I'm quite sure if it weren't for the quick and easy route I'd have learned to cook from scratch and enjoy veggies and fruits twenty years ago instead of just learning now. Or maybe not. I was awful pigheaded stubborn.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    People get paid to write those Amazon reviews. I know, because I've been paid to do it. All diet pills, especially raspberry ketones, garcinia cambogia... they're a big, big ol' scam.

Count calories. Don't stress. Exercise when its fun. There is no magic pill.
  • sharim1948
    Options
    I have been dieting "pills, gimmicks, fads, clubs, gyms, etc" since 1955. I was the guinea pig then for diet pills. Can you imagine giving a 3rd grade a diet pills? NO I'm sure is your answer.

Genes ~~ my mom weighed at her top weight 5'4" 125 and my father at 6' 3" was 175.
    I am 5' 5" and I am as of today 277.8 lbs....the only genes that are directing me is my inability to eat a balanced, healthy meal with correct amounts on my plate..Oh and you have to move everyday...this is the biggest challenge.

We are who we are if we would just stop listening to all the promises of Miracles...learn to eat healthy for the REST OF YOUR LIFE and you will be fine...make sure your children are given good examples of a healthy life style and they will be making better choices as they grow into adulthood...

So to answer your question....NO!!!!
  • Meerataila
    Options
    People get paid to write those Amazon reviews. I know, because I've been paid to do it. All diet pills, especially raspberry ketones, garcinia cambogia... they're a big, big ol' scam.

I'm not surprised. That's why I look at the one and two star ones for everything. If there are a lot of them, pretty much saying the same things, I avoid the product.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I'm not surprised. That's why I look at the one and two star ones for everything. If there are a lot of them, pretty much saying the same things, I avoid the product.

I also always look at the negative reviews. No, I don't get paid frequently to write diet pill reviews; most of what I do is edit/proof and ghostwriting. But it really opened my eyes when people started asking me to write reviews for their products. Those products are also often loaded with caffeine, and can be dangerous for people who have sensitivities (like me)
  • Meerataila
    Options

I also always look at the negative reviews. No, I don't get paid frequently to write diet pill reviews; most of what I do is edit/proof and ghostwriting. But it really opened my eyes when people started asking me to write reviews for their products. Those products are also often loaded with caffeine, and can be dangerous for people who have sensitivities (like me)

Thanks for helping people by sharing that. It reminds me, lots of those pills do have huge amounts of caffeine, often under different names. Not only can they cause problems for people who are sensitive, but it's just another drug that causes tolerance to build. Eventually it too becomes useless for appetite control. Sad to say. I wish I could find a pill that would work and keep working. If one existed we'd all know it.
  • lotra91
    lotra91 Posts: 3
    Options
    I took Alli 4 years ago and it helped me a lot. (No, I never pooped my pants, because I never went over my fat limit) Alli works because it gives you motivation. If you don't mind pooping yourself everytime you eat some pizza, then Alli will not work for you. As for the other OTC diet pills, they're all garbage. Though I did see a noticeable difference in my appetite when I took an herbal appetite suppressant from my local weight loss clinic. It had pretty much every natural ingredient that has ever been said to help you with hunger.

Oh and I forgot to mention that the appetite suppressant didn't make me not hungry, it just made it to where I could actually think about what I needed to eat and how much of it I needed to eat without being distracted by cravings. I still had to work at eating correctly.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If a pill gives someone the idea that they'll eat less and they do it because they believe in the pill, then maybe spending the money is worth it. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If a pill gives someone the idea that they'll eat less and they do it because they believe in the pill, then maybe spending the money is worth it. :)
    That's interesting.

Just because someone believes something does not make it true, as in -- there is no magic in diet pills.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hot off the presses of Dr. Oz website...

Research has shown that raspberry ketone can help in your weight-loss efforts, especially when paired with regular exercise and a well-balanced diet of healthy and whole foods.

I bolded the salient info for you.
    Oh no, Dr. Oz and his outlandish information he puts out.

Raspberry keytones help no more with weight loss than any other pill or supplement out there. It's actually (read bold) the calorie deficit ALONE (caps for emphases) that creates weight loss. Exercise is not necessary to lose weight either.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can't give you a bigger NO!!! Please don't. I have as a former anorexic and they did nothing but made me sicker and pee out all I had left and sometimes the other way. DON'T!!!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    the only thing they will help you with is taking your money and increasing the chances of heart attack and a possible early death. Don't do it. You don't need that. Just eat at a calorie deficit and exercise.
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Temporarily. Diet and exercise is a Must for long term results
  • ramiromuniz1
    ramiromuniz1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If anyone gets offended then I apologize ahead of time, but HELL NO!!!!!! Stay away from every diet pill you can think of, including Alli, no offense to the person who recommended it. The best way to think of is, do you really wanna depend on a pill for the rest of ypur life? Because thats basically what it is. Even if you were to lose the weight, you're gonna gain it back once you stop using those pills. So sure keep taking the pills, but do you really want to take all those pills for the rest of your life and wasting all that money? It adds up. Best advice is to adapt a healthy lifestyle, get active and adjust your diet. Diet is key. Enjoy your life!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    NO DIET PILL works without calorie deficit. Truth.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition