Eating ~1000 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the replies!

Yeah I agree (and the thing is, I'm not just eating a whole bunch of veggies...). Its really my fat and carbs that get used up real quick and I'm really low in my daily consumption of protein so maybe I'll see about adding more calories into that. And probably making myself just work out everyday will allow me more calories (and therefore not keep myself as sedentary) because I really wont get anywhere without being active as well.

The only thing is I have trouble with also keeping my macros in balance as well since with high-protein foods usually comes either high fats (like nuts) or high carbs which off-sets my macro %'s. So I'll just have to keep adjusting my diet until I find a healthy way to consume a bit more and keep everything balanced. Thanks again!

Chicken breast, white fish like tilapia, and shrimp are all great low-fat protein sources. Nuts aren't really much of a protein source-- more of a fat source with a little protein.

I also used to eat an obscene amount of cottage cheese before I switched to protein powder. And greek yogurt is good too.

All that said, don't worry too much if you're over on fat. You need a minimum of .35 grams per pound of weight. Going over isn't an issue as long as you're also getting enough protein. Since you're wanting to exercise, aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Yeah I agree (and the thing is, I'm not just eating a whole bunch of veggies...). Its really my fat and carbs that get used up real quick and I'm really low in my daily consumption of protein so maybe I'll see about adding more calories into that. And probably making myself just work out everyday will allow me more calories (and therefore not keep myself as sedentary) because I really wont get anywhere without being active as well.

The only thing is I have trouble with also keeping my macros in balance as well since with high-protein foods usually comes either high fats (like nuts) or high carbs which off-sets my macro %'s. So I'll just have to keep adjusting my diet until I find a healthy way to consume a bit more and keep everything balanced. Thanks again!

Keep in mind that MFP gives you a net, not total, daily caloric goal. It is based on the concept of total calories consumed - exercise calories burned = net daily caloric goal. If you're only eating around 1000 calories, then working out, your net is in reality lower than that which creates the potential for more nutritional deficits.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

:huh:
    Chkn breast
    Egg whites
    Greek yogurt
    Skim milk
    Protein powders
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Also Tuna! Love Tuna right out of the can, mix it with some fresh salsa and you have over 20G's of Protein with (practically) no fat and less than 200 calories.