Not impressed with Dear Abby

Options

Replies

• KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Dear Abby is just like the MFP forums.

○ Post question asking for help.
    ○ Doesnt receive answer they wanted/were expecting.
    ○ Everyone is mean.
    ○ The End.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Dear Abby is just like the MFP forums.

○ Post question asking for help.
    ○ Doesnt receive answer they wanted/were expecting.
    ○ Everyone is mean.
    ○ The End.

And a mean people thread was posted on MFP about her!

Consistency. MFP has it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Seems fine to me. If someone is that hypersensitive about a subject there is usually a reason.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    People still read Dear Abby? Well people who aren't elderly aunties and grandmothers?

I have it automatically emailed to me daily. I enjoy disagreeing with half of her advice.

It's not even the real Abby anymore. I'm pretty sure the original Abby could have advised her and expressed concern without belittling her in print.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I;m with Joe Tex on this one. . .
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ha! She's a hootchi mama who dresses too skimpy for her size!! Ya'll know what the mom is raging about wrong or not, it's the truth!! There are fat, obese, whatever you want to call it, sausaged into their bodycon dresses, leggings, strapless tube tops, camis, etc!! They may be comfy with their bodies, ideally I believe their mirrors are totally off or they never look at themselves to truly see what the world sees!!

As for Deaf Abby, she's a stuffy old bat with nothing but negative, condescending things to say while she sips on her bottles of whiskey casting judgement on others...stuffy wench! ahahahahha she reminds me of my old fashioned gramma.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I thought Abby was dead
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ha! She's a hootchi mama who dresses too skimpy for her size!! Ya'll know what the mom is raging about wrong or not, it's the truth!! There are fat, obese, whatever you want to call it, sausaged into their bodycon dresses, leggings, strapless tube tops, camis, etc!! They may be comfy with their bodies, ideally I believe their mirrors are totally off or they never look at themselves to truly see what the world sees!!

As for Deaf Abby, she's a stuffy old bat with nothing but negative, condescending things to say while she sips on her bottles of whiskey casting judgement on others...stuffy wench! ahahahahha she reminds me of my old fashioned gramma.
    wut
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I saw this and was annoyed. I was with her when she told her that, "when you visit someone else's home, that person's wishes take precedence -- even if it used to be your childhood home." This makes total sense, because it is her mom's home and rude or not, she has the right to enforce a dress code if she wants.
    Attacking her body size and dragging her doctor into it, is neither here nor there. It has nothing to do with her question.

Yup. And Dear Abby is normally pretty nice so this was pretty shocking as I'm a regular reader.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I saw this and was annoyed. I was with her when she told her that, "when you visit someone else's home, that person's wishes take precedence -- even if it used to be your childhood home." This makes total sense, because it is her mom's home and rude or not, she has the right to enforce a dress code if she wants.
    Attacking her body size and dragging her doctor into it, is neither here nor there. It has nothing to do with her question.

I feel the same way about Abby's response.

I am actually about 80% on board with it...and even if the letter writer was a normal/healthy weight but her mom felt the bikini top and shorts would make family uncomfortable, I would be on board with Abby's advice.

But I still think it was just uncalled for to bring the doctor/obesity topic into it. Personally, I would imagine that the writer's mother is perhaps more concerned about her breasts hanging out for all to see than her fat. Or not. Who cares.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

How is Walmart these days?
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

wut

Can you hear me now?
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Abby isn't the only one with nothing but negative condescending things to say. Bravo!

edited for typo
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I thought Abby was dead

The original one is. Her daughter writes it now. Fun fact: neither one of them is actually named Abby
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ok that took a different direction than I thought. The first part of her answer was correct though. If it isnt your house you follow their rules regardless of the reason. However, the last part had NOTHING to do with what was asked and wasnt necessary. Overweight/obese people are reminded everyday that we need to change our lifestyles to be healthy. I am not saying that is a bad thing just sometimes unsolicited advice(or in this case advice for something other than what was asked) doesnt help and comes across as hurtful rather than helpful.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I see it as more of a "my house, my rules" issue rather than a fat shaming issue.

I think they are referring to the response saying even though you are comfortable your physician wouldnt agree, etc
  • sqveeze
    sqveeze Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was so angry when I read this Dear Abby column today! Her response was beyond rude. As far as, "my house, my rules" goes, that does not give somebody the right to be a jerk to their child. So, what if mom doesn't approve of a boyfriend/girlfriend? What if mom is a racist? What if mom is physically abusive? "My house, my rules" has its limits! As far as the second half of the response, WHY would Abby be interested in what the physician had to say? Is she interested in what her other readers' doctors say? Or is it because she is making a ****ty assumption about this woman and her health? C'mon people. Us fat folks are not the only unhealthy people in the world. You can survive off of twinkies and tap water and stay as this as a rail if you eat below your calorie limit. Is that healthy? You can be anorexic or bulimic. Is that healthy? My dear Mom chain-smokes and drinks diet coke like it's going out of style and is a trim 125. If we're claiming that it is okay to be cruel because someone is unhealthy, let's expand that category and stop targeting fat people. I am on MFP to become healthier and more aware of my consumption versus my movement. I am very vocal and unashamed about putting fat shamers in their place. At 200lbs or at 150lbs I am equally deserving of respect and kindness.