R.I.P. Robin Williams

Options

Replies

• Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My wife committed suicide a year ago in what sounds like much the same way. She had chronic depression her whole adult life, as far as I know from her teenage years onward. She was 36 and left me with 2 little girls.

Logic doesn't play much part in suicide. People forget how much they are loved and how many people love them and depend on them. The mind enters a tailspin into a black hole. I never knew what she was planning, she was smart and kept it hidden from me. She knew that if I knew her plans I would've stopped her. That's how you can tell when they are serious and it's not just for attention.

It's hard to hear this news and separate one from the other. What I've learned is that suicide is entirely preventable, people need to be proactive and step up, get involved when they see or hear alarming things. In my wife's case we all failed her, her family and mine, there were many opportunities to help that were missed. I think we all need to pay more attention to those at risk people, those who really need it the most.

And a person who commits suicide isn't thinking it through. It inflicts a lot of pain on the living, we have to keep going on thinking about the pain, ourselves and each other. For the one who commits suicide their pain is over, and all they've done is given it to their loved ones.

My heart goes out to you & yours...I agree with what you said.
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I grew up with Robin Williams. Feels like I lost a family friend. So very sad.

Same here - I grew up watching Mork & Mindy, was a teen who loved him in Dead Poet's Society, and as an adult I always enjoyed watching him in anything that he did (especially improv - what an amazing talent). Depression can be an overwhelming, horrible way to live, and my heart is so saddened that he was unable to find his way out of it this time.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    PHENOMENAL actor with great range (comedy to drama/thriler); huge loss. I remember hearing a bit of trivia stating that he starred in more US$100M grossing movies than any other actor in the 1990's.

#IHazASad
    Sad-Genie-85284.gif
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    My wife committed suicide a year ago in what sounds like much the same way. She had chronic depression her whole adult life, as far as I know from her teenage years onward. She was 36 and left me with 2 little girls.

Logic doesn't play much part in suicide. People forget how much they are loved and how many people love them and depend on them. The mind enters a tailspin into a black hole. I never knew what she was planning, she was smart and kept it hidden from me. She knew that if I knew her plans I would've stopped her. That's how you can tell when they are serious and it's not just for attention.

It's hard to hear this news and separate one from the other. What I've learned is that suicide is entirely preventable, people need to be proactive and step up, get involved when they see or hear alarming things. In my wife's case we all failed her, her family and mine, there were many opportunities to help that were missed. I think we all need to pay more attention to those at risk people, those who really need it the most.

And a person who commits suicide isn't thinking it through. It inflicts a lot of pain on the living, we have to keep going on thinking about the pain, ourselves and each other. For the one who commits suicide their pain is over, and all they've done is given it to their loved ones.

:brokenheart: :flowerforyou:

Prayers for you & Robin Williams family & friends.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sooooooo sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love his movies - Amazing talented actor ....... RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True Legend!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BooAndKitty
    Options
    10550955_1449966928614296_8170080759496066199_n.jpg?oh=f5641d9859b935f8e3ac884c69364147&oe=545F129D&__gda__=1416376652_1021149e266b21987d22d95ff6b60f4d

RIP <3
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    pELhf4I.png

DnqM8iR.gif

jmm0cBI.gif

I feel like I lost the father I always wanted. You will be missed. <3
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    He taught me many things via humor. He was a great man and one of the few celebrity deaths that have upset me.

DS6rHL6.png
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    RIP :(
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    RIP RW

I love this clip of his encounter with Koko the gorilla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GorgFtCqPEs
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Oh my. So sorry for your loss.
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    So sad. I heard about his passing yesterday night on Mood Tracker(one of my friends had posted it). My favourite film was Mrs. Doubtfire.

I suffer Bipolar Type 2, so I know and understand what it's like to suffer horrid depression. It's hard sometimes to put up with. My heart goes out to his family. RIP
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Will be missed, but not forgotten.

o600-300x168.png
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    He taught me many things via humor. He was a great man and one of the few celebrity deaths that have upset me.

DS6rHL6.png

QFT
  • jwats8
    jwats8 Posts: 112
    Options
    Very sad, one of my favorite actors...
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    ~RIP... sad day
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    RIP Chief....love to stick around but....

gotta go see about a girl.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    He wasn't that old. That's sort of shocking.

He didn't die of oldness.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    pELhf4I.png

DnqM8iR.gif

jmm0cBI.gif

I feel like I lost the father I always wanted. You will be missed. <3

Beautiful.

:sad:
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    This is so, so sad. It shows that none of us are safe from depression.

I posted this on my profile this morning:

I'm currently sat in a doctor's waiting room, reflecting on last night's tragic news regarding Robin Williams. I’m genuinely gutted that a warm, loving and affectionate human being has been taken from this world as a result of being claimed by depression. Depression can affect anybody from any background, at any stage of their life. It’s not just an illness, it’s a condition. It’s part of your soul, your core, your very being. Like somebody suffering from an addiction, it is a condition that we often learn to control rather than cure completely. You’re never truly free of it, even if you seem visibly happier to those around you.

Depression is horrible. It is exhausting. It sabotages every aspect of your mind and your life. You are living under a constant cloud of hallucination that the mind continually and relentlessly seeks to tell you is real. Facts are distorted, truths are twisted and presented as irrefutable evidence of your worth. You see the world differently. You react to situations differently.

Depression paralyses you. You feel guilt and shame at that paralysis and so the cycle repeats and snowballs. And snowballs. Throughout our lives we are told: “Snap out of it!” “Pull yourself together!” “Grow a set!” “Man up!” Although these phrases are intended to encourage us into positive action, much like pulling a car from a ditch – we can only dream of having the insight and fortitude to realise these ‘orders.’ Phrases like the above are like Holy Grails to depression sufferers. If only it were that easy.

Depression is real, folks. Once it’s there it’s always there. Nobody should live their life feeling like that they are not good enough for this world. Nobody. If you know anybody suffering from depression then please, talk to them – and more importantly – listen to them.