R.I.P. Robin Williams

Options
12346»

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    First time I ever saw him was on old reruns of Mork and Mindy on Nick at Nite when I was like 11-12 years old... He's been my favorite comedian ever since. Another fond memory of him from my childhood was the movie Jack. His death makes me feel like I lost my favorite uncle. So sad, for sure... The kingdom of stand up comedy has an empty throne, now. :/
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have never been this genuinely bummed out by a celebrity death at any other point in my lifetime. Just SUCKS. :cry: ....... :sad:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    DS6rHL6.png

oh. this breaks my heart.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have never been this genuinely bummed out by a celebrity death at any other point in my lifetime. Just SUCKS. :cry: ....... :sad:

Ditto. This has floored me. It's not right :(
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    He taught me many things via humor. He was a great man and one of the few celebrity deaths that have upset me.

DS6rHL6.png

Holy hell this just gave me goosebumps.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    This is so, so sad. It shows that none of us are safe from depression.

I posted this on my profile this morning:

I'm currently sat in a doctor's waiting room, reflecting on last night's tragic news regarding Robin Williams. I’m genuinely gutted that a warm, loving and affectionate human being has been taken from this world as a result of being claimed by depression. Depression can affect anybody from any background, at any stage of their life. It’s not just an illness, it’s a condition. It’s part of your soul, your core, your very being. Like somebody suffering from an addiction, it is a condition that we often learn to control rather than cure completely. You’re never truly free of it, even if you seem visibly happier to those around you.

Depression is horrible. It is exhausting. It sabotages every aspect of your mind and your life. You are living under a constant cloud of hallucination that the mind continually and relentlessly seeks to tell you is real. Facts are distorted, truths are twisted and presented as irrefutable evidence of your worth. You see the world differently. You react to situations differently.

Depression paralyses you. You feel guilt and shame at that paralysis and so the cycle repeats and snowballs. And snowballs. Throughout our lives we are told: “Snap out of it!” “Pull yourself together!” “Grow a set!” “Man up!” Although these phrases are intended to encourage us into positive action, much like pulling a car from a ditch – we can only dream of having the insight and fortitude to realise these ‘orders.’ Phrases like the above are like Holy Grails to depression sufferers. If only it were that easy.

Depression is real, folks. Once it’s there it’s always there. Nobody should live their life feeling like that they are not good enough for this world. Nobody. If you know anybody suffering from depression then please, talk to them – and more importantly – listen to them.

Robin Williams had bipolar and was going thru a depressive episode when he took his life. You can see the mania showing thru almost all of his acting roles. It is so important that those with depression and/or bipolar are helped and watched during their depressive episodes. My brother killed himself at 18 during a depressive bipolar episode and it terrifies me every time my bipolar daughter goes into her depression mode. PLEASE dont be afraid to say something if you know of someone going thru depression and/or bipolar, the life you might save might be theirs!