Family Members that try to keep you/make you fat...

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Nobody in my life makes me do anything I don't want to.
    Come back in a decade and let us know how that goes. :)

Not sure what you mean by this. :huh: I've been making my own choices for decades. And when I come back in another decade I'll still be making my own choices...:drinker:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    At LadyGisborne, that is awful.

I'd be tempted to off him in his sleep.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    My dad is the same way. If he knows I'm eating good again he'll bring Reese peanut butter cups and Cool Ranch Doritos (my 2 favs) over and pushes and pushes every time I say "no thank you". He did the same thing when I quit smoking 4 years ago. He'd buy my favourite cigar or cigarillo and constantly try to get me to have "just one puff". He still does it from time-to-time.

Makes me want to punch him in the neck.
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I think it's fair to say that nobody on this post is made to do anything. In fact every single one of these examples is of us bucking the system or family or friends. We are all still here even when told no. That is important to remember. We might be cajoled, harangued, ignored, or whatever device used to try to make us stop and some of us did, but we are here!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I think it's fair to say that nobody on this post is made to do anything. In fact every single one of these examples is of us bucking the system or family or friends. We are all still here even when told no. That is important to remember. We might be cajoled, harangued, ignored, or whatever device used to try to make us stop and some of us did, but we are here!

Good for you! :flowerforyou:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It took months for the family to stop bringing home chips and dip. They know I like it and tried to do me favors. When I left the chips until they got stale and the dip until it got green and fuzzy, they finally got the message and stopped buying crap.

DW does not admit she is fat, and DD is way too heavy for her health. Neither wants to discuss it. They just keep bringing home bagels and cream cheese.

You guys are my motivation. No one else even notices.
    What difference is a decade going to make?

I'm 37, been living with the same man for nine years. My only child is 20. When is this going to kick in? Is there a magic number? Next year? At 50? Let me know so I can prepare.

When you are 80 and can no longer make decision for yourself.

As far as the OP... I am fat because of me... I make the choices to indulge in high calorie foods that do not sustain me for long periods of time... nor do I exercise regular (both of which are things I'm working on... that's why I'm here)... No one in my family makes me do anything that I ultimately don't already want to do. Why? Because:

tumblr_inline_mrbx1grdmJ1qz4rgp.gif
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My grandparents! Especially my grandmother. My mother, her daughter, died 14 years ago when I was 4, so she's been like a mother figure to me. It seems like she wants to feed me as much as possible so that I love her more, or so that I stick around or something. I don't know if she understands that I love her no matter what. But she's been very ill recently, so whilst my sister and I used to have dinner and stay around there once a week, we don't anymore. We still go and see her of course but it's easier not to accept cake when I'm not staying there. Both her and my granddad, him especially, are overweight - her less so now, she barely manages 800 cals a day with being so ill. My dad also tends to buy a lot of food, though he encourages me in my decision to lose weight. I'm moving away to uni in September though, and I'm not sure if I'm going to gain or keep losing... probably the former :/
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options

Not sure what you mean by this. :huh: I've been making my own choices for decades. And when I come back in another decade I'll still be making my own choices...:drinker:

I think the OP meant that it's easy to say no one can control us, but it doesn't last forever. At some point, people have more control over us than we ever desired. Yes, it is a struggle that is different for everyone. Sometimes people have control over us and we don't even realize it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

With my family history, I will still be making decisions for myself at 80! :wink:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

With my family history, I will still be making decisions for myself at 80! :wink:

I will just barely be able to...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I think the OP meant that it's easy to say no one can control us, but it doesn't last forever. At some point, people have more control over us than we ever desired. Yes, it is a struggle that is different for everyone. Sometimes people have control over us and we don't even realize it.

Could it possibly be that there are actual people who don't let anyone else control their actions? Hmmm...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I will just barely be able to...
    Aw.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    My dad is the same way. If he knows I'm eating good again he'll bring Reese peanut butter cups and Cool Ranch Doritos (my 2 favs) over and pushes and pushes every time I say "no thank you". He did the same thing when I quit smoking 4 years ago. He'd buy my favourite cigar or cigarillo and constantly try to get me to have "just one puff". He still does it from time-to-time.

Makes me want to punch him in the neck.

If there was a competition for the best dad of the year, I'm sure you're dad would've won the first place.... Bringing cigars when he knows you're trying to quit?? Wow...
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was a fat kid since around age 6 and I didn't learn to take control of what I ate until around 7th or 8th grade when I developed an eating disorder basically and when I recovered from that I gained all the weight back and then some. I didn't try to control it again until I was 18 and then that's when I started losing for good. I started at 226 and now I'm down to 188, and still going down! I'm definitely going to make it this time, the healthy way.

However, by this post in general, I did not mean that family members control you really, but that they instigate it, I guess I would say. For example, last summer I got in an argument with my Aunt about desserts and healthy eating. When I was little, she would often let me and my brother have ice cream before dinner or even FOR dinner. I told her that my kids will never have that if I can help it. They will have desserts only once in a while and learn to eat properly so that they can make their own healthy choices. From my own point of view, it's all really how we were raised. I was raised to stress eat and love chocolate! haha
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and less mature my family would make me uncomfortable, and then my reaction would be an unhealthy one. Now that I'm on this kick, even if my family makes backhanded compliments or doesn't understand, it really doesn't phase me. Either I work into my day whatever food they're offering, or I say no.

What's much harder is my boyfriend's mother. She's got a heavy dose of Catholic guilt and thinks if everyone around her isn't halfway to drunk and with a plate of food, there's something wrong, and she's failing as a hostess. I haven't been around long enough to really be firm with my denials, but I do say no to her frequently. It causes some tension between my bf and me, because it grates on me that I don't want to drink and I get comments from his mother, but I am hoping it's something that time can make better. They've only ever known me as quite large, and I know it comes from good intentions so I do my best to let it roll off me.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    The subject is misleading - because I wanted to Reply - No one Can Make you FAT!

But after I read, you are AWESOME! That's exactly what it takes to stay in check. Temptation is everywhere, you have to decide how you are going to deal with it!

Way to Go!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Bam! Thank you, ma'am. I feel the same way. I wasn't successful at this weight loss thing until I adopted this mindset
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The subject is misleading - because I wanted to Reply - No one Can Make you FAT!

But after I read, you are AWESOME! That's exactly what it takes to stay in check. Temptation is everywhere, you have to decide how you are going to deal with it!

Way to Go!

I was worried someone might take it the wrong way lol
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    People close to us attempt to sabotage weight loss and fitness goals because of their own insecurities.

I was overweight for 15 years...I listened to my Mother moan about not being able to lose weight for my entire life until I took control, lost 3 stone and got fit. Now she says nothing except "don't get scrawny" or don't get bulky doing all those weights" or "why do you want to run a half marathon, that's just hard work"?

Partners do it because they are scared that their other half will become more attractive to other people.

I am lucky because my husband supports my fitness endeavours. He understands that I am a happier and nicer person because of it and that taking time to look after myself makes me happy and more able to take care of our family.

If anyone tries to sabotage/criticise my eating habits I usually tell them to worry about what's going in their own mouths and leave me to decide what goes in mine. They usually shut up quite quickly.
  • Niccole5878
    Niccole5878 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sadly, my husband seems to prefer me when I am fat, unhappy and have no self-confidence.
    Last year I had lost lots of weight using MFP and Jillian Michaels DVDs. So he stopped looking after the children for half an hour everyday, stopping me from exercising. He refused to go to the swimming pool any more (I don't drive and can't go on my own). He was horrible to me because he knows I overeat when I am stressed.
    He succeeded : I fell back into binge eating and put on 35lbs.

I am back on track now but I am still unable to exercise because of this - all I can do is go for walks with the children.

AWE! Don't let him get you down! Remember, you are doing this for you!! Find creative ways to exercise with the kids in tow!! :)