Migraines from Diet Soda?

Options
2»

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, back in Sept/October. I would get this wicked headaches/migraines...My doctor gave me Migraine pills, which helped a little bit. Near the end of September, things were gettin' worse, and not gettin' any better. My job was on the line...I went back to my doctor, she in turn did some bloodwork, and discovered that I was 'Pre-diabetes' My levels were 6.4...I have cut all caffeine intake, and haven't had a migraine since, and been eatin' only vegatables and chicken, I don't eat prepackage or frozen things...
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I had never associated my migraines with diet soda - but since giving it up almost 6 months ago I've only had 2 migraines. I used to get them 2-3 times/week. I don't know if it was just the soda, or the change in habits but either way I don't plan on going back. I think if I had one I'd fall into the trap of drinking them all the time.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never realized that migraines from diet products was so pervasive! The Imitrex is starting to wear off and I can feel the migraine coming back. I hope I don't need another sick day tomorrow... I'm going to take an Excederine Migraine to see if that will hold off its return, at least for a little while... The doctor said it was okay to mix the two. I'm definately NOT consuming soda for quite a while, if EVER. God, I've been SO sick all day! If anyone has that Hulu link, I'd be curious to watch it...

Shannon
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/162709/sweet-misery
  • hjorden
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are dangerous stuff. Migraines are just a tip of the iceberg that you can have health wise. Its best to stick with water or unsweetened tea if you must have caffeine.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I compared the ingredients of the two sodas. They have two different types of artificial sweeteners: aspartame and Splenda. They have some shared ingredients, so I'm wondering if either one of these could have caused my problems: citric acid and Red 40. Anyone heard of these causing problems?

Shannon
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I compared the ingredients of the two sodas. They have two different types of artificial sweeteners: aspartame and Splenda. They have some shared ingredients, so I'm wondering if either one of these could have caused my problems: citric acid and Red 40. Anyone heard of these causing problems?

Shannon

It is possible with the Red 40........... it is a headache trigger. here are 2 links for finding out migraine triggers and other side effects from food dyes...........

Yet the FDA maintains these food dyes are safe. Yet another reason for eating clean!!

http://www.feingold.org/effects.html

http://www.fincher.org/Misc/Migraines.shtml

Citric Acid shouldn't cause migraines or you would get a headache after eating any of the citrus fruits especially since they are high in citric acid.
  • UniqueScorpio85
    UniqueScorpio85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got headaches from them as well. EVERY time I drank them. I just cut soda out of my completely. If you go through "withdrawls" and need something sweet and carbonated, I would advise flavored sparkling water. They come in so many different flavors, and they have zero calories and are caffeine free. Can't get any better than that! And you can find them in any grocery store.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

Shannon
    Splenda in itself has it's own set of problems for some. Might simply be you're bothered by artificial sweeteners in general?