Domino's Pizza Can Be Healthy? Is it a Trick?!

Options

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    They wouldn't be allowed to trick you. Light cheese and all those veggies would not add up to much. The dough is thin not thick, so it can't be a silly amount.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Thin crust no cheese all the veggies. It's what I do.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

I was thinking of ordering a pizza tonight, so looked on the official Domino's website at the calorie information. According to my research, a small thin crust pizza with light cheese, onions, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, and green peppers is only 360 calories for 1/2 of the pizza.

This seems too good to be true to me. Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of my calculations? Did I do that correctly?
    The major sources of calories in pizza come from the crust, the cheese, and the meat based toppings. With thin crust, light cheese, and zero meat topping you have effectively minimized or eliminated all the parts of the pizza that are heavy on calories.

Low calorie does not equal healthy and high calorie does not equal unhealthy. You shouldn't look at individual foods as "healthy" or "unhealthy". You should rather look at a total diet as a whole. Can pizza be part of an overall "healthy" diet? Absolutely.

Right!!!
  • Lindyandcheryl
    Lindyandcheryl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Watch the sodium?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Not smalls. Either 4 or 6 depending on the crust type.
    And I know how big the small crust is, still half a pizza sounds like a lot for dinner for one person

Half of a small Domino's pizza sounds like a lot for dinner for one person? Really? On the days I run, I could easily eat a whole small thin crust veggie pizza from there and not even think twice about it.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Domino's cut their pizzas in 8 pieces regardless :)
    And I know how big the small crust is, still half a pizza sounds like a lot for dinner for one person

Half of a small thin crust is a snack. :laugh:

If I'm eating pizza to fit within my cals it's a cheese only from Hungry Howies, medium thin crust. 888 for the whole thing and it goes in my belly. :wink:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    20% error permitted? :X omg. And you know they will round in one direction only. I don't trust premade things like this at all. Cooking from scratch prevents these tricky companies from deceiving you. There was an expose not too long ago where various restaurants were just flat out lying about calorie counts. I wish I could get away with eating pizza, but if I'm going to lose the weight, then certain sacrifices must be made. Really sucks for the first few months until you get used to the New Normal.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Because I view this journey as a life style - I do eat pizza once in awhile. For me, I eat the toppings I enjoy and fit the calories into my daily count (or exercise like crazy - lol). Is pizza the healthiest choice - probably not. But it's not an unhealthy choice when eaten in moderation.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options

If I'm eating pizza to fit within my cals it's a cheese only from Hungry Howies, medium thin crust. 888 for the whole thing and it goes in my belly. :wink:

No offense but ever wondered maybe that's how you became obese in the first place?
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

No offense but ever wondered maybe that's how became obese in the first place?

Nope. Because before it was a good portion of a large deep dish. It's called moderation. I think I've had one pizza in the past 6 weeks, instead of ordering pizza 2x a week because I didn't feel like cooking.

I know how I got overweight. Thirty-four years of bad eating habits (taking out the first year of being bottle/baby food fed). It's not exactly rocket science.

BTW if you have to start something with 'no offense' it's because you know you're being offensive. :smile:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

No offense but ever wondered maybe that's how you became obese in the first place?

No. Why? Because before, we obese people were eating at a SURPLUS (overeating) of calories. If someone is eating at a deficit and wants to eat a whole pizza and it fits within their calorie range, then they will lose weight regardless of what the food is. That's not ideal to do 5 days a week (lol), though.
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

No. Why? Because before, we obese people were eating at a SURPLUS (overeating) of calories. If someone is eating at a deficit and wants to eat a whole pizza and it fits within their calorie range, then they will lose weight regardless of what the food is. That's not ideal to do 5 days a week (lol), though.

Exactly!! :drinker:
  • jasonmh630
    Options

Not the 10", they don't. I've never seen a pizza place (Domino's or not) that cuts a "Small" (8"-10") into 8 pieces... It's only ever been 4 slices. I know, because I used to get a small pizza for lunch about 2-3 times a week before I started losing weight. lol

ETA: Not to mention, half of an 8"-10" round pizza is really NOT that much food.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options

Well if someone tells me half a pizza is a snack for them it makes me wonder what their actual meals are like, you know...
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hey FDA says pizza is a vegetable... not why the hell not?
    The kashi ones are not half bad btw.
  • jasonmh630
    Options

Not the 10", they don't. I've never seen a pizza place (Domino's or not) that cuts a "Small" (8"-10") into 8 pieces... It's only ever been 4 slices. I know, because I used to get a small pizza for lunch about 2-3 times a week before I started losing weight. lol

Well if someone tells me half a pizza is a snack for them it makes me wonder what their actual meals are like, you know...

You have to take it in proportion to what diameter the entire pizza is, though... A 10" pizza is about the same size as the cranial part of an average persons head. So half of that is not really that big. In relation to food quantities, half of a 10" pizza is about the same amount of food as a 6" sub sandwich.
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

It was facetious, for crying out loud. LOL But my dinners range between 580-750 cals most of the time depending on what I'm eating. All within my goal to lose 2 lb/week with room to spare
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options

It could be a snack. If someone eats 5 meals at 300 calories then that's 1500 calories... I can eat that and lose 2lbs a week. If the pizza is really 360 calories--which it probably is something around there. You could eat a whole small pizza for a meal and then work out your day differently.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    20% error permitted? :X omg. And you know they will round in one direction only. I don't trust premade things like this at all. Cooking from scratch prevents these tricky companies from deceiving you. There was an expose not too long ago where various restaurants were just flat out lying about calorie counts. I wish I could get away with eating pizza, but if I'm going to lose the weight, then certain sacrifices must be made. Really sucks for the first few months until you get used to the New Normal.

Plenty of people lose weight without sacrificing food like pizza. I still eat pizza, even the "not so healthy pepperoni and sausage on regular crust" kind and have been able to lose weight and maintain it. There are many ways to make pizza fit your calorie goals so that life doesn't have to suck. Just make the "New Normal" 2 pieces of whatever pizza you like, rather than a whole pizza.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Lol Dominos pizza is the worst!! So if you're going to have pizza at least eat good pizza.
    Half, Whole, 2 pieces who gives a S*** as long as it fits in your macros I say eat away....