Domino's Pizza Can Be Healthy? Is it a Trick?!

Options

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Domino's cut their pizzas in 8 pieces regardless :)
    And I know how big the small crust is, still half a pizza sounds like a lot for dinner for one person

No. Why? Because before, we obese people were eating at a SURPLUS (overeating) of calories. If someone is eating at a deficit and wants to eat a whole pizza and it fits within their calorie range, then they will lose weight regardless of what the food is. That's not ideal to do 5 days a week (lol), though.

Well if someone tells me half a pizza is a snack for them it makes me wonder what their actual meals are like, you know...

Look, if we want to eat pizza as a snack because it's delicious and when topped with good things like veggies, nutritious, why do you have to hate on us?

There are a lot of people who have larger frames, are taller than you etc, and aren't looking to get down to 100lbs (which I'm going to assume is a healthy weight for your body and you just happen to be shorter with a small frame) which leaves us with the ability to literally eat thousands of calories a day without putting on weight. If I were to eat at maintenance, I'd have about 2300 calories to play with, which is just a nice way of saying I could eat like two whole pizzas. TWO.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    And I know how big the small crust is, still half a pizza sounds like a lot for dinner for one person

Half of a small thin crust is a snack. :laugh:

If I'm eating pizza to fit within my cals it's a cheese only from Hungry Howies, medium thin crust. 888 for the whole thing and it goes in my belly. :wink:

No offense but ever wondered maybe that's how you became obese in the first place?
    Fruitless and demeaning.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The calorie count sounds about right, if the person making it sticks to the amount of each ingredient determined by Domino's franchising.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Half of a small thin crust is a snack. :laugh:

If I'm eating pizza to fit within my cals it's a cheese only from Hungry Howies, medium thin crust. 888 for the whole thing and it goes in my belly. :wink:

No offense but ever wondered maybe that's how became obese in the first place?

Nope. Because before it was a good portion of a large deep dish. It's called moderation. I think I've had one pizza in the past 6 weeks, instead of ordering pizza 2x a week because I didn't feel like cooking.

I know how I got overweight. Thirty-four years of bad eating habits (taking out the first year of being bottle/baby food fed). It's not exactly rocket science.

BTW if you have to start something with 'no offense' it's because you know you're being offensive. :smile:
    ^^^This....i could see the claws coming out with that 'no offense' comment...wow....just wowww....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No. Why? Because before, we obese people were eating at a SURPLUS (overeating) of calories. If someone is eating at a deficit and wants to eat a whole pizza and it fits within their calorie range, then they will lose weight regardless of what the food is. That's not ideal to do 5 days a week (lol), though.

Well if someone tells me half a pizza is a snack for them it makes me wonder what their actual meals are like, you know...

In this case, isn't half a pizza 360 calories or some such? That's on the small side, though possible, for lunch for me. Half of that, which is what you seem to be recommending, is 180 calories (or thereabouts, since sure there could be errors), and that doesn't sound like a full meal at all. If you were to have 3 meals of 360 calories, that would be a total calorie count of 1080, so, yeah, I can see someone with a significantly higher calorie goal [edit: than 1080! which should be pretty much everyone] seeing 360 as a snack.

I haven't had Dominos in years, so am not familiar with their super thin crust that is being discussed, but I'm assuming based on calorie count that it is not, in fact, more food than 2 slices of the 200+ calorie slices of pizza that I'm more familiar with, but whatever the actual number of slices less food due to a smaller crust and less cheese.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean for my joke to end up starting all this.

If anyone wants to add me though, I always love new friends!! :flowerforyou:
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have heard that none of the Big pizza chains use pure mozzarella, their meat is full of fillers and there is ton of non food like ingredients. calories, fat all that stuff is not as important as eating real food in my opinion :wink:

FDA regulations say that you can write Made with 100% real Mozzarella as long as 2% of it is actually 100 Percent real mozzarella. :laugh: :cry:

So the websites can pretty much make you think you are just eating cheese, meat and bread with sauce when you are actually eating modified food starch and other oddities.

i can make the equivalent of a supreme pizza in my house, eat it and feel good the next day. if i eat take out Pizza (from a chain) i am sure to be sick for at least a day. I love it, but it poisons me :sad:

I have not done a ton of research on this, but here is one interesting article: http://foodbabe.com/2014/03/23/if-youve-ever-eaten-pizza-before-this-will-blow-your-mind/

So I think that I will stick to making my Pizzas or getting them from good restaurants. Yeah they cost more, but think its worth the money to eat actual cheese!
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    OP: Yes, that is correct, 360 calories for half the pizza. If it fits in your daily intake goals and you want it, eat it. :smile:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Don't make jokes about people eating half of a small pizza because they'll get fat! :wink:
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Right now, I can eat about 2300-2400 cals per day and maintain my current weight. I don't want to do that, so I eat +/- 1900...and still lose between 1.5-2 pounds per week. If I want to have pizza and it fits my goal for the day, then I'll do it and not feel guilty because I'll still lose weight. The key to that is to not do that every day. It's perfectly ok to treat yourself with pizza once a week.
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

Don't make jokes about people eating half of a small pizza because they'll get fat! :wink:

Haha! I think I like you. :happy:
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I love Domino's thin crust cheese pizza with diced tomatoes, and I certainly wouldn't call it junk food. But we're abstaining from Dominos more to avoid the money than to avoid the calories. We pizza night once a week. I buy the premade thin crusts and part-skim milk mozzarella.

I make two personal "salad pizzas" (7-in crust, 1 TSP olive oil and roasted garlic on crust, layer of spinach leaves, about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella, and then add about 30 grams of sliced mozzarella because I like the way it melts, and top it all off with the freshly-diced tomato on top. One of those is 502 calories.

I also do two more pizzas for my husband and young daughter-a second salad pizza and then a plain cheese pizza with pizza sauce (I don't like pizza sauce on mine).

There are nutrients in there and a couple servings of vegetables. The 1 tsp of EVOO is not a problem, mixing vegetables with a little healthy fat is a good thing. I have to look at cheese as a pure indulgence with no nutritional value because that's how I eat it. I treat it as "junk" and budget the calories like I would for a dessert. But except for the cheese, it's a healthy enough meal.

So, if you're worried about Dominos but you don't want to do the all-homemade route, meet in the middle like Sandra Lee. Buy the ingredients pre-made (crust, sauce) and spend 7 minutes throwing them together. Throw in the oven for 20, let rest 10 before cutting, and it's cheaper and often as fast as Dominos. With only 7 minutes of work.

Or just do Dominos and order the healthier stuff. As long as it works with your daily calories, enjoy!
  • newdaydawning79
    Options
    I love Domino's thin crust cheese pizza with diced tomatoes, and I certainly wouldn't call it junk food. But we're abstaining from Dominos more to avoid the money than to avoid the calories. We pizza night once a week. I buy the premade thin crusts and part-skim milk mozzarella.

I make two personal "salad pizzas" (7-in crust, 1 TSP olive oil and roasted garlic on crust, layer of spinach leaves, about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella, and then add about 30 grams of sliced mozzarella because I like the way it melts, and top it all off with the freshly-diced tomato on top. One of those is 502 calories.

I also do two more pizzas for my husband and young daughter-a second salad pizza and then a plain cheese pizza with pizza sauce (I don't like pizza sauce on mine).

There are nutrients in there and a couple servings of vegetables. The 1 tsp of EVOO is not a problem, mixing vegetables with a little healthy fat is a good thing. I have to look at cheese as a pure indulgence with no nutritional value because that's how I eat it. I treat it as "junk" and budget the calories like I would for a dessert. But except for the cheese, it's a healthy enough meal.

So, if you're worried about Dominos but you don't want to do the all-homemade route, meet in the middle like Sandra Lee. Buy the ingredients pre-made (crust, sauce) and spend 7 minutes throwing them together. Throw in the oven for 20, let rest 10 before cutting, and it's cheaper and often as fast as Dominos. With only 7 minutes of work.

Or just do Dominos and order the healthier stuff. As long as it works with your daily calories, enjoy!

Out of curiosity why does cheese count as an indulgence for you rather than a source of dairy and calcium? Honest question.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I have tried with the whole pizza dough and rolling it out and well yeah that didn't work lol I will have to getthe premade crusts and do that.

As for the cheese, why do you think of it as an indulgence?
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    Cheese does have nutrients, but so do oatmeal raisin cookies! :happy: The fat in cheese offsets the protein and dairy benefits, at least for me. It's also one of my favorite foods, so something I have a hard time doing in moderation. It's a trigger food for me. Because I can eat ALL THE CHEESE. Good cheese is better than good chocolate IMO. (Now, bad chocolate is better than bad cheese, but that's beside the point.)

I'm fat because of portions that are too large and my love of dairy. Cream, butter, cheese. The higher the fat content the better. So I'm trying to cut way back on it. Imagine if potato chips had some redeeming nutrition in them but the same amount of fat. If you are a person who can't eat just one, it would probably best to think of them as junk food.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

I was thinking of ordering a pizza tonight, so looked on the official Domino's website at the calorie information. According to my research, a small thin crust pizza with light cheese, onions, olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, and green peppers is only 360 calories for 1/2 of the pizza.

This seems too good to be true to me. Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of my calculations? Did I do that correctly?

sure why not? this is what I order when we get pizza.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Options
    Slightly off topic - what's a good higher protein junk food? I'm really good at eating healthy foods, but sometimes I want something bad. I already have difficulty getting enough protein in me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I have heard that none of the Big pizza chains use pure mozzarella, their meat is full of fillers and there is ton of non food like ingredients. calories, fat all that stuff is not as important as eating real food in my opinion :wink:

FDA regulations say that you can write Made with 100% real Mozzarella as long as 2% of it is actually 100 Percent real mozzarella. :laugh: :cry:

So the websites can pretty much make you think you are just eating cheese, meat and bread with sauce when you are actually eating modified food starch and other oddities.

i can make the equivalent of a supreme pizza in my house, eat it and feel good the next day. if i eat take out Pizza (from a chain) i am sure to be sick for at least a day. I love it, but it poisons me :sad:

I have not done a ton of research on this, but here is one interesting article: http://foodbabe.com/2014/03/23/if-youve-ever-eaten-pizza-before-this-will-blow-your-mind/

So I think that I will stick to making my Pizzas or getting them from good restaurants. Yeah they cost more, but think its worth the money to eat actual cheese!

Oh dear.

The question wasn't about the comparison of home made pizza to Dominoes.

And most people getting takeaway can and do make their own meals on other occasions.

I don't get pizza often - but I do get Subway.
    Yes I know I could make my own sandwich ( no kidding) but there are times and places when I want to get takeaway and so I want information about this.
    If I post a question about Subway, I don't want advice about how to make a sandwich.
    Same goes for questions about pizza chains.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    That's it, I'm making my own homemade pizza on my own homemade pizza dough, no cheese cause I don't like cheese, topped with pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, and garlic pizza sauce. I might even add some Jimmy Dean turkey sausage to it.

I'm so happy.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Well, the crust is thin as a chip so ya it's much lower cal... and not very filling either.