What makes you a geek/nerd?

Options

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is showing how diverse geeks actually are.

I would like to cosplay but I'm too fat to play the characters I'd like to play.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My collection of Masamune Shirow merchandise and love of the Ghost in the Shell series.

My collection of Angeling items based on the character from Ragnarok Online.

The fact I met and wooed my husband on a webcomic forum belonging to 8-bit Theater...
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I can talk about books for hours. Stephen King, the Eragon series, Riders of Pern, etc.
    I'm only Gold IV on League of Legends but I've been playing since Graves patch.
    Leveling a Pokemon to 100 via battling is the only way to level your Pokemon.
    Speaking of Pokemon, I obsess over IVs and EVs.
    I play Burn, Goblin Charbelcher, and Zoo.
    If you don't know what ^ means, gtfo.
    I'm a certified Weeb.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Man, you ARE a nerd, complaining about panels and even KNOWING what panels are. Ha. You win!!!

Wow. It's not that I read Wheel of Time, it's the Comicon panels.

What if I said I read Watchman long before the movie, know that Dune is typically known as the scifi book that introduced the concept of adding politics into science fiction and I've wired network cables!

(Ok, ok, so the last was because my ex was a network administrator at a start up and I helped him out one night)

I'm just hoping I win a prize. Because...I like prizes.
  • mmd575
    mmd575 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd because I majored in Mathematics, well specifically Statistics. My job consists of me writing computer programs and yes, I do get a lot of joy when I solve a math or programming problem. :)
  • Joannah700
    Options
    I have the words "DON'T PANIC" tattooed in large, friendly letters on my hand

Awesome. I'm about to start reading Dirk Gently which will be new to me. I've read all the Hitchhiker's guides so I'm hoping this will be good too!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I have the words "DON'T PANIC" tattooed in large, friendly letters on my hand

Doesn't count unless you also carry your towel with you and know what an electric monk should be used for. ;)
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm a FIRST robotics alumni of a world championship winning team - tends to be my biggest geek/nerd qualifier. As does that I was also heavily involved with the scouting aspect of it.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Nothing! /sob

I mean the husband rubbed off on me... kinda? Bah! :P

I - have always loved Star Trek, now love Doctor Who, adore anything Whedon, miss playing D&D, get sucked into MMORPGs like it's nothing.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    And I agree that while it is fun to see the actors in person, I would usually rather hear from the writers, though there are some actors who take a more active role in character and story development.

Thank you! Though I did like hearing from the cast of Mythbusters a few years back.

I will say this though, the wait time for any of the panels is super long. If you're lucky - maybe one or two panels in a day.

This is also why I probably won't go again...unless I'm pregnant or broke a leg and can use that to get to the front of the line.
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    I can't stand football, basketball, or NASCAR; I took ballet and theater in High school for gym (more interaction with girls). I like watching and reading Sci-Fi and Natural History guides. I ground and polished my own telescope mirrors as a geophysics student at Brown. I know my birds and wildflowers. And I work part-time as a magician. Oh and I wear glasses and favor converse high tops.

But does that make me a geek/nerd? Or just a generic Ivy-league Wack-O?
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Dr who and science but I balance that w a plenty of football :D
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For 3 years my choice of bedtime story for my 5 year old daughter is old Wonder Woman comics. The clerks at the comic store know her on a first name basis, and set aside any Wonder Woman comics that come in on trade for her to have first dibs.
  • Chalk_Slinger
    Chalk_Slinger Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I am watching WITCHES based on the Roald Dahl classic and feel NO guilt.
  • swaistle
    swaistle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit of a geek/nerd. I'm quite into superheroes, primarily Marvel, I'm wanting to start getting into the comics though but a little overwhelmed on where to start. I have the Deadpool Classics atm, I have 4 volumes and I started reading them but I need to collect the rest!

I like gaming to an extent, mainly Nintendo though :$ Legend of Zelda being my favourite :) I really need to explore more stuff ORZ I'm like a baby geek/nerd hahaaa
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    As my husband says I am "a Vulcan on the street and Klingon in the sheets."
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    science, mainly health sciences. Studying to be a PA so there's that. Then I like to look everything up. I have a ton of unnecessary information just floating around in my head lol
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This past weekend, I helped my 7-year old son build the Tardis out of an old wardrobe box from our garage.
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    I have a strong opinion on the Oxford comma.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    And my towel is orange