What makes you a geek/nerd?

Options

Replies

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I design new types of power systems, and space craft propulsion, just for the fun of it.

So what you're saying is.... you would be a good friend to have in the event of an apocalyptic event.

Maybe...if you're nice to me.... :tongue: :laugh:

I'm in California. The zombies would get me before I could even meet you half-way. I still have to work on cardio.

My sister tells me I need to learn a good apocalyptic talent - like how to make beer...

How about how to find wild herbs and other edible plants? Wild onions make some of the best stew ever!

Way to be practical. They actually have some 'survivor' classes in the LA mountains on gathering edible wild plants. I had considered getting it for my sister's birthday, but maybe I'll hog all the knowledge for myself.

She'll just get a flapot instead.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Because people tell me I am.. But that's because:

I work for the Space Program
    I do med evil reenactment
    I read too much
    And I relate to the characters in Big Bang Theory
  • TheBookSiren2316
    Options
    I dont consider myself a huge nerd. I believe its too expensive to be a full blown geek or nerd.

I like a lot of books and shows that are considered nerdy, but thats kind of popular to do/be right now so the best I could hope for there is "trendy" and I cant use that word without vomiting a little.

I read a ton. I also have a huge library of books in my home with extensive computerized lists of all my books organized by genre, writer, and the ones I like on a scale of 1-10.

My biggest nerdy trait is that I write fantasy novels. So basically I create entire worlds in my head, with full governments, languages, and social structures, down to every characters history and family tree. I take my time finding interesting ways to torture every character. Then give it to my beta readers and laugh when they cry. :D
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My passionate love of comics, books and sf&f shows. My continued presence (in costume) at conventions. And I'm pretty sure my Glock is my best friend.
  • lzinn814
    lzinn814 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I fight rapier in the sca
    I read harley quinn comics
    I play role playing games with my friends.
    I'm a big anime fan!
  • greco16
    greco16 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I own more than 4 scientific calculators
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd because I was raised by the king of nerds! It's a badge of honor really!
  • Deltaoutlaw
    Deltaoutlaw Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've spent way too much money on Magic the Gathering. I've designed and wore a Commander Sheppard costume. I haven't lost a game of Boggle since I was twelve.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I play scrabble by myself and often challenge myself on words i feel i have made up or mis-spelled.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    At the age of 14 (1968), I made my first LASER (actually it was a laser pointer). I push 1s and 0s for a living.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love Mythbusters, Star Wars, Batman.

I would rather read than partake in any other form of entertainment (ok, ok there is one thing greater than reading, and kind of nullifies any nerdiness, but top of my list of enjoyable things before books are sitting at a ball game).

I will read anything I can get my hand on about physics.

For Hallowe'en last year dressed up as Indiana Jones. I spent hundreds to make sure everything was perfectly accurate. Even the bag. Bought a real whip, even tried (painfully) to learn how to crack it.

And while not a zealot, I use only F/OSS and am a member of the Free Software Foundation. Not one computer in the home uses Windows or any other closed OS or program.
  • VioletWhiteLotus
    VioletWhiteLotus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love comics, read several on a weekly basis and have a decent collection going.

I play video games and can spend countless hours doing so.

Think cosplay is awesome and everyone should do it once in their lives. With that said, I love cons and attend several annually.

Love Star Wars, all superhero movies, Stargate, Harry Potter, LOTR, GoT, Documentaries, the list goes on and on

Collect action figures, pokemon and legos.

I could add on to this list for hours but this is a good starting point.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    The only nerdy attribute I have is that I turn every challenge into a math problem, but, as far as technology is concerned --I don't text. I don't play computer games. I don't own a Kindle. I've never taken a selfie. I've never used self check out. I wouldn't even be on MFP if I wasn't at work.
  • gymratjasmine
    gymratjasmine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love Marvel and I'm also obsessed with Supernatural, Arrow, and The Flash. And I play video games from time to time
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My tattoos of Sub Zero and Scorpion.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    My tattoos of Sub Zero and Scorpion.
    MORTAL KOMBAT
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options