Protein shakes are not for women?

Options
So after my workout I stopped for a protein shake, and the attendant says "You like these protein shakes huh? Well can I tell you something? Women are not supposed to drink protein shakes." She was trying to convince me not to buy it. She started going on about not supplementing protein, blah blah blah. I think she was trying to say it makes females bulky without saying it that way. Not only was she condescending but creepy all at the same time. Have any of y'all heard this "fact"? Can you maybe explain her rationale?

Replies

• 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Nothing about her is rational. I would rather eat real food, but sometimes it's hard to get all my protein in , and yes I have a shake, nothing wrong with it though. :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No. Because we aren't her. It could be she was trying to sell you on something more expensive or she is misinformed.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    She cray cray

Protein is protein. It's a building block, it repairs your muscles and helps with recovery time. She was probably suckered in to popular belief that it's meant for bulking purposes. It won't make you bulking and if you end up getting too much protein, or too much anything else for that matter, it will just be stored as fat. Just like anything else.

You could complain to her manager if she keeps trying to inform you again or tries to sell you something else. Or just has an attitude. But usually what I found is once people have said what they needed to say, they're good.
  • CarineCNM
    CarineCNM Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest to eat natural forms of protein as well. I was actually just starving and picked the easiest solution until dinner in an hour. I don't know why I let it bother me, but she really got under my skin. Thanks for the input :-)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    No idea. No one "needs" a protein shake if they are getting enough protein from their regular diet but there is nothing wrong with using them to supplement to reach your protein goals and some of them are delicious.
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've sat here staring at my screen for like 5 solid minutes. There is no serious reply that I could give that would accurately describe how stupid that person was.

Go back to her in a couple of days, all wild eyed and whisper "You have to help me... the shakes... you were right... I've sprouted back hair..." or something along that line.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    lies.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    OK, so I've sat here staring at my screen for like 5 solid minutes. There is no serious reply that I could give that would accurately describe how stupid that person was.

Go back to her in a couple of days, all wild eyed and whisper "You have to help me... the shakes... you were right... I've sprouted back hair..." or something along that line.

Or do this ^^^
  • CarineCNM
    CarineCNM Posts: 19 Member
    Options

This is so GREAT!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I've had people (women specifically) ask me if drinking protein shakes will cause them to gain weight, but I've never heard anyone say that women shouldn't drink them.

I WISH protein shakes worked that way (automatic bulk), because I'd love to add a little more muscle and little less fat to my frame!
  • gilmore606
    gilmore606 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If a woman drinks whey protein over a long period of time, she runs the risk of growing a beard. I wouldn't chance it personally.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No. Because we aren't her. It could be she was trying to sell you on something more expensive or she is misinformed.

This. In the beginning of my gurney, I had a chick at GNC try to talk me out of buying protein shakes cause it would make me get swole. :laugh:
    She then tried to sell me a more expensive meal replacement shake called Total Lean for women who wanted to get skinny. Which was an awesome assumption, considering I didn't ask for her opinion, nor did she ask me what my goal was. All I had asked her at the time was "Where da protein shakes at?"
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I'd go much further than back hair ... a little stop at an adult novelty store and an obvious outline in spandex then ordering another shake saying it grows with each feeding.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    how does the protein shake know you are female? How would it be that protein from chicken would be ok for you...but somehow protein from whey would be bad for you because you are female. That person sounds like a complete idiot and probably lacks the ability to even hold a rational thought.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Like others, I try to eat real food instead of shakes. With that said, I do have a protein shake many mornings. It's quick, easy, and gets me started on my day (I use an espresso based protein shake that really keeps my appetite in check until lunch).

I think protein shakes can be a great alternative - especially when it's that or junk!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If a woman drinks whey protein over a long period of time, she runs the risk of growing a beard. I wouldn't chance it personally.

What if they wanted to grow a beard? Did you think of that, huh?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

thank you! ;-) I read your question and then drew a blank when I went to address it. This works. l0l
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    So after my workout I stopped for a protein shake, and the attendant says "You like these protein shakes huh? Well can I tell you something? Women are not supposed to drink protein shakes." She was trying to convince me not to buy it. She started going on about not supplementing protein, blah blah blah. I think she was trying to say it makes females bulky without saying it that way. Not only was she condescending but creepy all at the same time. Have any of y'all heard this "fact"? Can you maybe explain her rationale?

I went into Lulu lemon once to browse carrying a 4kg bag of protein powder. Male shop attendant: is that all for you? Me: yep

If only you could add muscle just by drinking protein shakes, would make things a hell of a lot easier.

Are you human? Yes, humans need protein. Are you getting enough protein from dietry sources? No, protein shakes might be a viable option for you
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

What if they wanted to grow a beard? Did you think of that, huh?

I'm kinda diggin' mine. *strokes beard*

OP, I drink them. I didn't really grow a beard, but I don't get enough protein from food, so I end up supplementing most of the time.