Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms (24 Calories Each)

WadeLam
WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
I have a problem these days. I’m having an unnatural obsession with rifling through old cooking magazines at thrift stores. I’m not kidding. I skim through them for recipes – specifically low-calorie ones – but even some that aren’t low-calorie that I can “lighten up”. It’s taking over my life. Is that normal? Please say yes.

And - I just know you’ll get a kick out of this - this specific one, came from an old County Woman magazine. Don’t judge…and stop laughing. You'll appreciate my efforts when you enjoy one of these stuffed mushrooms, my friend.

One more thing - need I point out that the holidays are on their way, people??!! These would be fantastic to serve at a fall holiday party. But be forewarned - guests would demand to be invited back next year. And whether or not you invite them back is entirely up to you, and is outside of my involvement. :)

25g6ypv.jpg

Ingredients:
• 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
• 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
• 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Dash cayenne pepper
• 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
• 30 medium fresh mushrooms
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Fold in crabmeat; set aside. Remove and discard mushroom stems. Brush inside of mushroom caps with oil. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of crab mixture into each cap; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place in a pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and filling is lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.

Nutrition Facts (calculated using MFP Recipe Builder):
1 stuffed mushroom equals 24 calories, 1 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 48 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, & 2 g protein.

Replies

• dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Who's to say what's normal and what's not anymore. I think it's great that you are searching for new recipes and creating new ways to make them even healthier. This recipe looks and sounds delicious and anything with crab in it is just the best. I'm originally from Maryland so crab was always a big part of my life. Enjoy!!! :smile:
  • WanderWoman93
    WanderWoman93 Posts: 2 Member
    yuum definitely saving this recipe!
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Thanks! I'm writing this one down .....in between my spurts of laughter :laugh:
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Yum! Saving ...
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    MMMMMMMMM!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    bump to save

YUM!!!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    These sound delicious!
  • JoJoVan96
    JoJoVan96 Posts: 26 Member
    Don't feel at all bad...my husband and I have checked out every single cookbook they have in our local library. We've now resorted to ordering them from other branches, as well as hitting thrift stores and garage sales to find them. :tongue:
  • Forever4me
    Forever4me Posts: 76 Member
    LOVE IT! And not just because of the recipe. But because I work for the very company and in the very same building where Country Woman is published. Country Woman is under the same publishing company as Taste of Home, and the key to Taste of Home's success is that every single recipe is reader submitted, tested in our own "home" test kitchens and photographed right here in little 'ole Milwaukee, WI. So check out TasteofHome.com people for other amazing recipes like this!!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Sounds so good
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    So.. if I make 24 of these... I can eat all of them for dinner? Or I can make giant ones in portabello mushroom caps?!
  • sjeannot
    sjeannot Posts: 143
    Sounds yummy. I ususally stuff my mushooms with shrimp but I think I might try thsi recipe. Thanks for posting.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    So.. if I make 24 of these... I can eat all of them for dinner? Or I can make giant ones in portabello mushroom caps?!

Giant ones in caps would make for a quick meal and sounds totally awesome- great idea! Otherwise, I'd probably eat all 24 too.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I have a problem these days. I’m having an unnatural obsession with rifling through old cooking magazines at thrift stores. I’m not kidding. I skim through them for recipes – specifically low-calorie ones – but even some that aren’t low-calorie that I can “lighten up”. It’s taking over my life. Is that normal? Please say yes.

And - I just know you’ll get a kick out of this - this specific one, came from an old County Woman magazine. Don’t judge…and stop laughing. You'll appreciate my efforts when you enjoy one of these stuffed mushrooms, my friend.

One more thing - need I point out that the holidays are on their way, people??!! These would be fantastic to serve at a fall holiday party. But be forewarned - guests would demand to be invited back next year. And whether or not you invite them back is entirely up to you, and is outside of my involvement. :)

25g6ypv.jpg

Ingredients:
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • Dash cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
    In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Fold in crabmeat; set aside. Remove and discard mushroom stems. Brush inside of mushroom caps with oil. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of crab mixture into each cap; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place in a pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and filling is lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.

1 stuffed mushroom equals 24 calories, 1 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 48 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, & 2 g protein.

Looks crazy similar to your recipe, even down to the picture. Weird

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/crab-stuffed-mushrooms
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member

25g6ypv.jpg

Ingredients:
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • Dash cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:

Don't be silly, she used the word "LIGHT" before mayo! Totally different.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Canned crab? I'm from New Orleans and your recipe is grounds for war. WAR I tell you!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Canned crab? I'm from New Orleans and your recipe is grounds for war. WAR I tell you!

So I'm from a place that is land locked... seafood is not a "poor man's meal" here... canned crab is the only affordable option.

Oh but New Orleans... I visited once... and the food was divine!
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Thanks... love anything with crab and mushroom :)
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member

So I'm from a place that is land locked... seafood is not a "poor man's meal" here... canned crab is the only affordable option.

Oh but New Orleans... I visited once... and the food was divine!

I'll let it slide because you're Canadian and y'all gave me Rush. :laugh:
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member

It's from Country Woman Magazine, which is a division of Taste of Home. I found it in the December/January 2008 issue. On page 37. From the local Good Will on South Main in Harrisonburg (if you'd like to call and verify purchase). After buying it, I looked online to see if I could find any other crab/mushroom recipes that sounded better, and found the exact same recipe. So, I changed the mayo to light and made them (great observation, odusgolp), re-calculated the nutrition info using the MFP recipe builder, and posted it here – though I did use their photo (good catch Acg67). It is the exact recipe after all, and the photo I took of mine didn’t look as nice. I am a great cook, but I must say that I do not have the whole mushroom-stuffing technique down pat.

Let me point out that nowhere in the post did I claim the recipe was my own. I cited my original source, if you happened to read the section before the recipe.

And Acg67 – I’ve come across your posts a few times, and most everything I've read causes some type of chaos. Anyway…make the recipe…enjoy…and see you when I post my next thread.